• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    https://www.channel4.com/news/revea...llions-of-black-americans-from-voting-in-2016

I will say this, the ability to target by African American affinity disappeared on the Facebook ads platform a few weeks back.

This is really another non-story. Do political candidates not run negative ads directed at their opponents each day every day?

Of course Trump doesn’t want certain groups going to the polls. They’re less likely to vote for him. Is that voter suppression? Maybe. But I’m not seeing any legal issues. Also the article states they don’t know what ads he ran to whom.

All they have is a list of 8 audiences he targeted on Facebook.

Facebook allows you to create audiences based on all sorts of demographics, email lists, those that click on your ads, those that watch 25%, 50%, 75% or All of your video, and prior to 2016, income and race.

Once you have this custom audience dialed in, you can then create a look a like audience. This allows Facebook’s algorithm to scan everything they know about your custom audience and create a much larger audience that “looks like” your dialed in custom audience.

You can take a small list, a few opt ins, and even less sales and turn that into a monster sized list of your perfect prospects.

Man, I run an agency for final expense life insurance agents. We sell life insurance to low income seniors. I also run a marketing agency that generates leads for those same agents.

Lower income white folks are much less likely to purchase life insurance as other lower income folks. It is what it is.

Highly detailed targeting lowered marketing costs AND increased sales. All the while helping people that didn’t want their kids “passing the plate” when they died.

All Trump did was use the data available to him by Facebook to not waste a cent on advertising dollars.

It’s how he won in 2016. That’s why they’ve turned off the ability to target by income, and a host of other targeting options.

It’s also a light bulb moment for me as to why the targeting option “African American Affinity” up and disappeared a few weeks before the election.

I wonder if it will return afterwards.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So “if” this was true, and I’m not saying it is, as it’s not sourced well enough, you think that’s ok?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So “if” this was true, and I’m not saying it is, as it’s not sourced well enough, you think that’s ok?

If you’re spending advertising dollars, it is best not to cast a wide net.

So if I wanted to run “vote for me” ads, I would want to target those much more likely to vote for me.

There’s absolutely no reason for Trump to target me with anti-Biden (or anti-Hillary) ads. There’s no way I’d vote for them. The ad spend would be 100% wasted on me.

However, it would be much better spent on those that certainly would vote D.

I don’t think we’re under any illusions that the majority of black folks, right, wrong, or indifferent, vote D 90%+.

He probably had “yuppie white parent’s basement dwelling 20-35 year olds” in that same deterrence list.

And, to answer your question, yes, I think that it is ok to use the available data to win, whether it’s in marketing, sales, OR politics.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Regardless of whatever word they put on it, it’s not “suppression,” even if any of the information in this article was authentic, which I highly doubt.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The negative Trump stories that pop up everyday are such a waste. There is nothing any of these stories could contain that would get me to vote for Biden. I don't think I'm alone in this either. :ingo:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Might mean their internal polling is also showing Trump being successful with black voters

Bingo! I read somewhere that Something Wonderful was going to happen, that has them messing their shorts...

The purpose of this article is exactly what it is claiming the campaign was doing, they are trying to "deter" the black voters supporting Trump...

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A new form of voter suppression? Suppression? An ad on Facebook? Are they even listening to themselves?

Targeted ads on Facebook you say. :runaway:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’m so tired of all this stupid ****. I wish I could vote for Trump 10 times. Not because I am totally enamored with him it’s because I am more loathsome of all the constant ways the opposition tries invent ways to get rid of him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’m so tired of all this stupid ****. I wish I could vote for Trump 10 times. Not because I am totally enamored with him it’s because I am more loathsome of all the constant ways the opposition tries invent ways to get rid of him.

Brother you hit that nail square on and sank to the head in one solid blow.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    based on what I hear regarding mail in voting.....if you want to vote for someone 10 times, it just might be possible!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So would it also be wrong for a company selling special hair care products for POC to not waste advertising on white folks who would never buy it? Or life insurance folks shouldnt be able to not pay to advertise to the 18-25 crowd? Or Feminine hygene companies MUST include men in their ad spend?

I dont see this as a problem. And I wouldnt be surprised if the dems are also doing the same and ruling out folks they know they wont be swayed.

EDIT: Now if we find out that he is targeting folks he expects to vote for biden with malicious ads like telling them "dont forget to vote on Nov 4" or "you arent eligible so dont even show up to vote" then we have a problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

The distressing thing is that something around 25% of likely voters see Trump as the Sauron of institutional racism devoting his every waking moment to keeping the black man down. This is another instance of projection, playing solely to their base as they often accuse Trump of doing. The useful idiots will eat that up

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So would it also be wrong for a company selling special hair care products for POC to not waste advertising on white folks who would never buy it? Or life insurance folks shouldnt be able to not pay to advertise to the 18-25 crowd? Or Feminine hygene companies MUST include men in their ad spend?

I dont see this as a problem. And I wouldnt be surprised if the dems are also doing the same and ruling out folks they know they wont be swayed.

EDIT: Now if we find out that he is targeting folks he expects to vote for biden with malicious ads like telling them "dont forget to vote on Nov 4" or "you arent eligible so dont even show up to vote" then we have a problem.

Those type of ads probably wouldn't get approved. Believe it or not, there's a real person at Facebook behind every ad that gets approved...

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The negative Trump stories that pop up everyday are such a waste. There is nothing any of these stories could contain that would get me to vote for Biden. I don't think I'm alone in this either. :ingo:

In 45 years of voting I've never pulled a straight ticket but that changes this year. As far as I'm concerned the Democratic party , both up and down ballot, needs to be punished for the BS they've pulled over that past 3 1/2 years.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In 45 years of voting I've never pulled a straight ticket but that changes this year. As far as I'm concerned the Democratic party , both up and down ballot, needs to be punished for the BS they've pulled over that past 3 1/2 years.

For the first year, I’d have agreed. Now, not so much.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

The problem with your statement, is that hair care products meant for particular ethnic groups, are meant for particular ethnic groups. What’s the point in advertising to people who have no use for those products. Conversely, I’d like to believe the presidency is something we’re ALL wrapped up in. Rather than dissuade people from voting, shouldn’t you try and convince them to vote for you? Targeting strangers in an attempt to get them to not vote, sole based on their skin color, and the beliefs you connect with how you think they think, “probably” isn’t the best way to prove you aren’t a racist. From my understanding, Trump made inroads with Black voters not seen with previous other GOP candidates, and he’s was projected to gain more. Why alienate a group you’re making progress with, as I’m sure this article probably will put a sour taste in a good number of previous black Trump supporters.

Top Bottom