• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not enough attention is being paid to this, likely because everybody thinks Senate control was held by Republicans. It wasn't. Two races are undecided. Georgia law requires 50% of the vote to win, and the trickle of mail ballots being counted in the week after Election Day deprived one Republican contender of the 50% to decide control of the Senate. Which means there will be two run-offs on Jan. 5.

Democrats winning both would make Chuck Schumer, a long-term gun control enthusiast, the Majority Leader.

So here is a thread to post news and information about the two Georgia Senate races.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elec...cide-senate-control/ar-BB1aOkHx?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ly-win-runoff-races/ar-BB1aOl6q?ocid=msedgntp

These new elections will presumably held under the same mail-in voting rules as the Presidential election, and with money pouring in from all over the country.

Can Democrats use mail ballots to "steal" control of the Senate, right under the watchful eyes of the whole world? This will be interesting.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Uhhh, via RCP I'm seeing Georgia still only reporting at 99% and Perdue leading Ossoff 49.8 to 47.9. 1% of the Georgia electorate is a bit over 29000 votes, and Perdue only needs about 6000 of those to push him over 50% and he wins it outright. So they can break about 4:1 for Ossoff and Perdue would still win it. Just like the presidential election, it ain't over until it's over (and so certified)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Uhhh, via RCP I'm seeing Georgia still only reporting at 99% and Perdue leading Ossoff 49.8 to 47.9. 1% of the Georgia electorate is a bit over 29000 votes, and Perdue only needs about 6000 of those to push him over 50% and he wins it outright. So they can break about 4:1 for Ossoff and Perdue would still win it. Just like the presidential election, it ain't over until it's over (and so certified)

Yeh, but 3 days ago "you guys" (meant loosely) were telling me Trump was going to win PA, and there were a ton of uncounted votes in Arizona that were expected to break mostly Red. This race determines whether Democrats have a chance at the Senate or not. And the votes in question are mostly from Atlanta. I would not put anything past anyone on this.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Twangbanger, please excuse my ignorance in advance. Tell me where I'm going wrong here .... So, Repubs went into the election with 53 members, lost two, gained one, so should have 52 (before the Georgia recount). If Repubs lose both Georgia races, they're down to 50, Dems have 48, and two Independents. So how does it work? I understand that Harris has tie-breaking power on votes, and my understanding is that she would be President of the Senate, but how does McConnell fit into that scenario, as leader of the Repub caucus? I'm sure I'm missing something, and this is notwithstanding RINO Romney's and RINO Collin's tendencies. I guess I need to do some reading.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Twangbanger, please excuse my ignorance in advance. Tell me where I'm going wrong here .... So, Repubs went into the election with 53 members, lost two, gained one, so should have 52 (before the Georgia recount). If Repubs lose both Georgia races, they're down to 50, Dems have 48, and two Independents. So how does it work? I understand that Harris has tie-breaking power on votes, and my understanding is that she would be President of the Senate, but how does McConnell fit into that scenario, as leader of the Repub caucus? I'm sure I'm missing something, and this is notwithstanding RINO Romney's and RINO Collin's tendencies. I guess I need to do some reading.

Steve, you're not missing anything. We started at 53R - 47(basically D). Dems made a net pickup of +1 in Arizona, which gives 52/48. If Repubs are at 52 and lose two in Georgia, that brings them down to 50-50, and Harris then casts the tie-breaker vote.

Mitch probably goes back to Minority Leader, and Romney, Collins, and others are no doubt salivating because then they become Swingers again.

Again I will say, this is a tough lift for Democrats, to run the table on both races. But it's a whole new election, both races have only 2 contenders each, and all the mail-in absentee apparatus which was put in place, stays in place for this election, to my understanding.

One hopes this is being looked at with due diligence by the proper people on the GOP side.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Steve, you're not missing anything. We started at 53R - 47(basically D). Dems made a net pickup of +1 in Arizona, which gives 52/48. If Repubs are at 52 and lose two in Georgia, that brings them down to 50-50, and Harris then casts the tie-breaker vote.

Mitch probably goes back to Minority Leader, and Romney, Collins, and others are no doubt salivating because then they become Swingers again.

Again I will say, this is a tough lift for Democrats, to run the table on both races. But it's a whole new election, both races have only 2 contenders each, and all the mail-in absentee apparatus which was put in place, stays in place for this election, to my understanding.

One hopes this is being looked at with due diligence by the proper people on the GOP side.

Yea, Romney's definitely going to get off on being relevant again, although he did come thru for ACB. So then, how are committee heads and such voted on. For instance, Lindsey Graham held huge power to push SCOTUS picks out of committee. I mean, the Repubs with 50, are not actually the minority, except in floor votes, with Harris controlling.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeh, but 3 days ago "you guys" (meant loosely) were telling me Trump was going to win PA, and there were a ton of uncounted votes in Arizona that were expected to break mostly Red. This race determines whether Democrats have a chance at the Senate or not. And the votes in question are mostly from Atlanta. I would not put anything past anyone on this.

Thinking this is over for any of these elections is premature...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Dude, you need to shut off the TV and stop reading WaPo. At least go to RCP, where if you had been watching the votes are breaking Trump's way in Arizona. His deficit has dropped from 1.7% to just 0.5% with 4% of the vote still uncounted. He may very well win Arizona outright and I believe he's already within range for a recount. And weren't you paying attention about the irregularities in PA's vote counting? REpublican reps denied access to the counting areas, people on the inside taping up cardboard so you couldn't see in the windows. In Pennsylvania also a recount will work wonders, especially if SCOTUS decides votes received after election day don't count (the will of the PA legislature, not some judge). Biden is only up on Trump by 0.6% and 3% of the vote is uncounted. Trump could still win that outright without SCOTUS if they just stop the flow of fraudulent late votes. Trump is up by 1.4% in N Carolina with 3% left to count and he is only down in Georgia by 0.2% with 1% left to count. He will go for a recount wherever he can get one, and things will be under much closer scrutiny the second time around - most of those states have Republican controlled legislatures, and the legislature has already called the tune on how the elections were to be conducted, so there can be judicial relief for state courts exceeding their authority. Trump is up 2 to 1 in Alaska. Heck, Wisconsin was called for Biden but Trump was only down 0.7% there and there was credible evidence of irregularities. If he can get a recount there, he could get them ordered to produce the actual votes credited to Biden rather than an otherwise anonymous thumb drive labeled 'provisional votes'. Those shady 128000 votes, all for Biden, represent almost 4% of Wisonsins vote - can they justify that under full scrutiny? This thing is far from over, the MSM just wants to drag it's feet and hope pressure on Trump to concede can be brought to bear

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Dude, you need to shut off the TV and stop reading WaPo...

Dogg, you hard on a brotha...

I like how you and Hatin' think. But that all relies on judges with balls at every turn. And I think the demand for balls exceeds the available supply. Unless the recounts make a major, and I mean major difference, what you describe requires judges to take ballots that were cast by warm, breathing human beings, and throw them in the trash can. You might as well be asking them to put their knee on somebody's neck for 9 minutes. "Everybody's vote must count." We have lost control of _that_ narrative. This thing has already been called by the media. I wish I could envision judges wedging their bodies in the doorway of history like you suggest.

Don't get me wrong; paraphrasing Hillary, I ain't no-ways an advocate of egalitarianism. I would **** little happy biscuits if what you propose comes to pass. In fact, I would toss a couple two-liters of Mountain Dew in the Honda, drive to PA, dump those boxes of ballots into the Delaware River myself, then turn and flip off the camera like Johnny Rotten. I would make Donald Trump blush. I mean Jared and Ivanka would be horrified. I would walk right up to a little girl holding an autographed picture of Kamala Harris, tell her we are a nation of laws, her mommy's vote doesn't count, and suck it up honey.

But I can't envision a bunch of Ivy League Educated judges giving me that chance. They didn't get their grandfathers beat to death in a southern jail cell like mine, so their kids could grow up to be called "privileged." They actually are, "privileged." And throwing an election like that would make their Thanksgiving Football conversations, "unpleasant."

Last edited:

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Needs to be more publicity on this. It is important to win both seats. My inbox has been filled with requests for $ from both candidates and NRSC. The URL links in some of them indicated that there may be scammers in operation, so be careful if you plan to donate. You can go to the candidates websites and donate directly.

https://kellyforsenate.com/

https://perduesenate.com/

GOA is doing a good job of lending support. If you get an email purporting to be from GOA PVF raising funds for the two GA candidates, be careful. I have one where, again, the URL link looked suspect. You can go directly to GOA website and donate from there.

https://gunowners.org/

If every gun owner donates $50 there should be enough $ in the kitty to really blast the airwaves 24/7.

If the dems get one or both of these seats they can pass any legislation they want - no boundaries. Then you are left fighting in the US Supreme Court - and with RINO Roberts at the helm anything can happen.

You can't vote, but you can donate.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...If Repubs are at 52 and lose two in Georgia, that brings them down to 50-50, and Harris then casts the tie-breaker vote...

Even with that scenario, it's only 50-50 if the Dems can keep their party members in line.

Joe Manchin of WV ain't voting yes to the green new deal, for more gun control, or to pack the SCOTUS.

As a Dem in what's now the reddest red state, he has zero room to move left on any issue. Not if he plans to run for re-election anyways.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Even with that scenario, it's only 50-50 if the Dems can keep their party members in line.

Joe Manchin of WV ain't voting yes to the green new deal, for more gun control, or to pack the SCOTUS.

As a Dem in what's now the reddest red state, he has zero room to move left on any issue. Not if he plans to run for re-election anyways.

I heard him on the news yesterday afternoon. Maybe he should switch sides

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This just proves anyone who supported Andrew Yang in the primary, thinking he wasn't like the rest of the Democrats, was a ****ing idiot.

I'll admit it - I thought he was different.

I also liked Kasich, as Bug is fond to point out.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'll admit it - I thought he was different..

img.gif

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

What you're forgetting, is the Democrats aren't the only ones with trouble keeping their members in line. The GOP also has wieners who flunk the Purity Test.

The Democrats don't need Joe Manchin to pass gun control - or John Hickenlooper or Krysten Sinema - if GOP gadflies Mitt Romney, or Susan Collins, or Lisa Murkowski are ready to cut a deal.

That is exactly what happened on the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban. The Democrats didn't _need_ all their members to vote yes. They were able to "let some of them off the hook" because Clinton and George Mitchell got some Republicans to break ranks and support gun control (one of whom was Dan Coats of Indiana, no less).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...That is exactly what happened on the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban. The Democrats didn't _need_ all their members to vote yes. They were able to "let some of them off the hook" because Clinton and George Mitchell got some Republicans to break ranks and support gun control (one of whom was Dan Coats of Indiana, no less).

1994 was a very different time.

I think today the only way a Republican would jump ship and vote for an AWB or magazine restriction is if they aren't running for reelection. Otherwise, they'll get primaried and never make the next general election.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    1994 was a very different time.

I think today the only way a Republican would jump ship and vote for an AWB or magazine restriction is if they aren't running for reelection. Otherwise, they'll get primaried and never make the next general election.

It was a different time, but those who forget history are condemned to repeat it. Do you have a crystal ball into exactly what the voters of Utah were thinking when they elected carpet-bagging Mitt Romney, whose only real connection to their state is his professed religion? I don't. The residents of Mormon Paradise don't seem like "live free or die types" to me. I frankly don't see them primary-ing anybody over a gun law.

And Arizona is filling up with California refugees, as we've seen, so ditto there, increasingly.

Joe Manchin is interesting, but is unfortunately offset by multiple wieners on our side.

Top Bottom