• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So they are too cheap to use their own data plans, so they decided to mooch off some "poor sucker's" open wifi.

This, kids, is why you have to know what you are connecting to out there.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at. Looked like a page full of random "stuff". :scratch:
    They are IDing Antifa leaders and such through interweb traffic. It's over my head but sure is awesome. :cool:

"For the last two months, we've been wardriving antifa rioters, letting them associate with mobile honeypots to access internet, so we could look at their traffic."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at. Looked like a page full of random "stuff". :scratch:

Yeah, that page is a hot mess.

They left an open WiFi hot spot, that they knew ANTIFA sorts would connect to.

They did.

Then they logged the traffic, analyzed it, and used to it to make connections to find out who's actually who in an ANTIFA.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

They did.

Then they logged the traffic, analyzed it, and used to it to make connections to find out who's actually who in an ANTIFA.

Sorry about the messy link but all the decent Twitter posts were nuked as you can imagine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

They did.

Oh okay, thanks. That initial landing page was just really confusing to me.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I guess I wonder how everyone might feel about this, if they had been sitting outside a gun range or church doing the same thing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don't use public wifi you don't recognize...

THIS.

They were not sitting there sniffing the wireless traffic flying around between these idiots' phones and the internet because they were in the area. The antifa folks had to see the honeypot wifi, then connect to the wifi to use it without permission.

Another analogy: This isnt them standing by the antifa listening to their phone calls on the appropriate phone lines. This is more like listening in on a "white courtesy phone" that is available, but not intended for the general public to use. To get caught, the antifa member had to first use what they were not supposed to use. If they didnt steal internet, their traffic wouldnt have been intercepted.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I guess I wonder how everyone might feel about this, if they had been sitting outside a gun range or church doing the same thing?
    You shouldn't connect to random open hot spots and expect your traffic to not be tracked. :dunno:

If you want to not worry about such things, get a VPN service and you won't have to worry.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

My church has a secure WiFi for members and my gun range is out in BFE. I've also worked in IT way too long to connect to an insecure WiFi if I don't know its origin.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Since I do go to Church and the gun range it does not bother me even a little. an open wifi hotspot is kinda not secure, so...

If there is a militia man plotting the overthrow of...

If Church members are plotting the next Crusade...

DO NOT USE AN OPEN WIFI HOT SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA what if the Feds were monitoring INGO????????????????????????????

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    My church has a secure WiFi for members and my gun range is out in BFE. I've also worked in IT way too long to connect to an insecure WiFi if I don't know its origin.

I've been connecting to publicly provided WiFi hotspots for years (generally at businesses), but I'd never do it without a VPN. :shady:

Frankly, this has been a problem for at least 15+ years now. Hotels that provide internet access have long been hotbeds of traffic sniffing.

Top Bottom