• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I don't know about everyone else but I was very disappointed that in this election that Indiana State liberal Judges were retained. Indiana Judges Melissa May, Margaret Robb, and Lloyd Mark Bailey all got around 78% votes for "Yes, retain this Judge". I don't see how Indiana voted so Republican but yet voted at 78% to retain these three Liberal Judges. I don't think Hoosiers educated themselves on what kind of Judges they were retaining. These are Liberal Judges that I personally voted "No, they shall not be retained". We could have replaced these three judges by voting not to retain them and then they could have been replaced with a more conservative Judge (like Judges Goff & Brown who were also retained). These 3 liberal judges get very long terms now to keep wrecking more liberal havoc. I think many Hoosiers just voted yes to retain all these judges when in fact they were voting to keep Liberal Judges. Makes no sense to me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This should not surprise you. There was a thread on this topic prior to the election and it got fewer than 20 comments.

Indiana moved to this system of voting to retain judges back in the '70s. Since that time no judge has ever lost their gig because of a "no" vote on the question of whether to retain.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We (CKW & I) always vote no.

It is the lazy lever pullers I would assume.

Doesn't have anything to do with that. I voted the straight "R" ticket (but revised it to switch to Rainwater for Governor), but that doesn't cover the judges, since they are "allegedly" a non-partisan position.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I didn't make a choice either way on any of them because I was not educated on any of them. I need my party resources to put that information in front of me before the question is posed. Every election cycle the NRA (bless their hearts) sends me a crib sheet of which candidates are, and are not, pro 2A.

Why can't the party I affiliate with give me that kind information? What's that you say? Judges are held to be non-partisan in their decisions?? Pfffft.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    78% of how many? Pretty sure so few people vote on those questions that any judge in the state can buy/organize a couple hundred votes and be completely secure. There is no easy way to determine a given judge's ideology except to manually dig through their cases.

It's a garbage system. At least there's a voter contingency if a judge behaves egregiously enough, but in the real world it pretty much guarantees perpetual careers.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    As I posted in the other thread about this, I wasn't informed about the judges and thus didn't vote either way. Looking at judges is not something I think of when preparing to vote.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I always vote no on judges. I wouldn't expect a judge to get voted out unless their judgements/ behavior was crazy bad. There is value to having a breadth of judicial opinion on the court. I think this system is still superior than appointment with life term. At least the voters still have a say.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I got to that section ignorant of it being there. I did not vote yes or no. I know that in years passed I used to vote no for them. I am going to return to that practice with the exception of asking in here for thought before next time.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've tried looking into past rulings by judges who are on the ballot and found it overwhelming, trying to figure out where they stand. TMI to sort out, to find decisions that would matter to me.
    Since this is IN not NY NJ etc, and it's less likely that they're leftists, I just leave those boxes blank.

It would be good if NRA, GOA, ISRPA, would put out info about them

Top Bottom