• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009/news/regionalnews/sweet_lemonade_kid_lapped_1847
    SWEET LEMONADE KID $LAPPED

BITTER AGENTS WRITE $50 TICKET

By FRANK ROSARIO and TIM PERONE

JUST FINE! Clementine Lee holds the ticket that agents handed her and her dad. Parks boss Adrian Benepe voided it.

Posted: 2:13 am
    August 16, 2009
    Three sourpuss Parks Department agents put the squeeze on a 10-year-old girl in Riverside Park yesterday, slapping the tyke with a $50 ticket for hawking lemonade without a permit.
    Clementine Lee, who lives just blocks from the Upper West Side park, had dreamed of opening a lemonade stand since last year and took advantage of yesterday's beautiful weather to set up shop.
    "It was such a hot day I figured people would want a cold drink," the aspiring juvenile juice mogul told The Post.
    Business was booming for Clementine and her photographer dad, Richard, 49, for the first 20 minutes at the stand on West 73rd Street and Riverside Drive.
    The father-daughter team was able to sell 10 glasses of the ice-cold drink for 50 cents each and the dozen chocolate chip cookies they baked.
    But their day turned into the pits at 3 p.m. when the heartless pack of city sticklers iced their operation.
    "They approached us nonchalantly but then surrounded us," the peeved papa recalled. "They were very hostile as soon as they approached, saying 'Where's your permit? Where's your permit?' "
    When Richard admitted he didn't have the right to sell on Parks property, the agents immediately slapped the dad and daughter with a summons for selling food without a license, which carries a maximum fine of $200.
    "You've got to be kidding me, this is outrageous!" he told the agents.
    Dozens of onlookers rallied to the pair's defense, shouting that the Parks officers were violating the Lees' civil rights, but the brokenhearted pair packed up and went home.
    "Don't these agents have anything better to do?" Richard fumed to The Post. "They could have at least told us to move but they didn't give us a chance.
    "There are better ways to raise money for the Parks Department then busting 10 year-olds."
    His soccer-enthusiast daughter said the ordeal left a bitter taste in her mouth.
    "I was really nervous when these three agents cornered me and my dad," said Clementine, who loves classical music and has been playing violin since she was 4.
    "I think they should let people sell lemonade out here. We weren't hurting anyone."
    But yesterday, after The Post contacted the department, Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe announced that the ticket would be nixed.
    "The agent used extremely poor judgment" and didn't properly enforce the rule, Benepe said.
    The bumbling Parks enforcement patrol officer will be re-trained on rules and regulations and will be reassigned, he added.
    "We're going to make lemonade out of lemons . . . I look forward to buying lemonade from her if I pass by," said the commissioner.
    Clementine said she might take him up on the offer.
    "I'm going to wait a little while, but I'd love to [sell lemonade] again," she said.
    As for her dad, he was relieved that "justice was served."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A photo of the incident

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]
    timeintro_krakow_l.jpg

Where are your papers, comrades?
    [/FONT]​

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Come on guys.. . lay off the Parks cops!! Can't you see the cleverly disguised mouth bomb she has???? Obviously an attempt to bring down society as we know it!!!!:nuts:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    From Michael Z. Williamson's "Freehold" (after a rather entertaining bit of haggling over prices at a vendor's kiosk):

As they resumed their walk, McKay munching on a "Satan pepper," which did not sound at all like a snack food to Kendra, she commented, "If that shtick happens all the time, I'm surprised he doesn't need an entertainer's license."
    McKay blew air and licked his lips. "Whoo, that was a potent one!" he remarked, eyes glazing slightly. He turned and said, "You don't need licenses here. I'll show you the bazaar if we get a chance." He shook out the bundle attached to his pouch, which turned out to be his cloak, and laid it on the ground, gesturing for Kendra to sit. As she did so he sat next to her and pulled three fresh strawberries the size of plums out of the bag. "I don't know how hot you like your food," he resumed, "But Satan's are hotter than anything you'll find on Earth, habaneros included. So I got you these instead."
    "Thanks." She smiled, then wrinkled her brow. "No licenses? But how do you keep out bad entertainers and merchandise?"
    "Hey, bad ones have to learn somewhere. And shoddy merch gets noticed pretty quickly."
    "I can't believe that works as a quality control measure," she said doubtfully.
    "Try your strawberries."
    She did so and was amazed. Juice dribbled down her chin. Sugar would have been wasted and cream would have masked the flavor. "Okay, they're great," she mumbled around her second bite. "Thank you."

I don't always agree with Mike, but he usually has a point.

Top Bottom