Euphemisms / Political Correctness / or something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I noticed something strange not long ago.

When did politicians start being referred to as "leaders"? They're just politicians (mayors, governors, sheriffs, prosecutors, senators, etc.). Politicians are incapable of leading an alcoholic into a bar. They are no more a "leader" than I'm an astrophysicist (I'm not).

From what I understand politicians are supposed to be elected by the people to represent them. Not lead them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

When did politicians start being referred to as "leaders"? They're just politicians (mayors, governors, sheriffs, prosecutors, senators, etc.). Politicians are incapable of leading an alcoholic into a bar. They are no more a "leader" than I'm an astrophysicist (I'm not).

From what I understand politicians are supposed to be elected by the people to represent them. Not lead them.

Poly - many
    Ticks - bloodsuckers
    Politicians - a collective group of bloodsuckers; not to be confused with a coven.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Some people are leaders, some people are followers, some people are indifferent. Any of them can be politicians.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They're are lot of sheeple that want to be lead.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Powermongers would be more apropos.

I AGREE WITH KUT! Another one for the books.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

You'll also hear a lot of politicians "ruling" us. I find this very unsettling and indicates that people have forgotten (or been miseducated) on our government's role.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm sure good ol what's his face will show up any minute now and explain that this was all predicted by his bible. And we can only understand if we study the Bible.

And the correct answer has been hit in two parts in this thread.

Many folks have been conditioned to want to be lead by the .gov, and politicians are power mongers.

Basically we have sheep begging to be lead by wolves.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Both quotes by H. L. Mencken, the "Sage of Baltimore"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm sure good ol what's his face will show up any minute now and explain that this was all predicted by his bible. And we can only understand if we study the Bible.

And the correct answer has been hit in two parts in this thread.

Many folks have been conditioned to want to be lead by the .gov, and politicians are power mongers.

Basically we have sheep begging to be lead by wolves.

Paul, how the heck do you retain Mod powers so you can post as FMJ.

But really, Pre-emptive strikes against Christians is very Communist of you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'll say when a leader named George Washington became a politician.

I'd say he was a leader, as was Churchill, or Lincoln, or Kennedy, I'd say Carter was a follower, so was Hoover, and ...

More pragmatically, a president is a leader, a sheriff is a leader, and mayor is a leader, for the simple fact that they are the head of their organization (e.g. cabinet, city employees, deputies). A rank-and-file representative is not a leader.

Powermongers would be more apropos.

I AGREE WITH KUT! Another one for the books.

:faint:

Some people are leaders, some people are followers, some people are indifferent. Any of them can be politicians.
    [video=youtube;vYZRBwYFIP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZRBwYFIP0[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Paul, how the heck do you retain Mod powers so you can post as FMJ.

But really, Pre-emptive strikes against Christians is very Communist of you.

That wasn't directed at Christians, it was toward the conspiratorial and superstitious.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'll say when a leader named George Washington became a politician.

I'd say he was a leader, as was Churchill, or Lincoln, or Kennedy, I'd say Carter was a follower, so was Hoover, and ...

More pragmatically, a president is a leader, a sheriff is a leader, and mayor is a leader, for the simple fact that they are the head of their organization (e.g. cabinet, city employees, deputies). A rank-and-file representative is not a leader.

:faint:

No, all of the listed ones are just politicians. Nothing more than that.

Anyone who elevates them to something more is contributing to the problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, all of the listed ones are just politicians. Nothing more than that.

Anyone who elevates them to something more is contributing to the problem.

OK, well I guess it's a matter of how view a position and how you define leader.

Next you'll be telling me a military officer can't be a leader because they're a soldier.

If you want to get semantic, I don't elect a mayor to "represent me" (to whom do they "represent"?). I elect a mayor to get the trash collected. They're a manager, and any good manager is first a good leader. OTOH, my city councilman represents me.

If you're trying to make a point about government, well, then I guess vocabulary be damned.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    OK, well I guess it's a matter of how view a position and how you define leader.

Next you'll be telling me a military officer can't be a leader because they're a soldier.

If you want to get semantic, I don't elect a mayor to "represent me" (to whom do they "represent"?). I elect a mayor to get the trash collected. They're a manager, and any good manager is first a good leader. OTOH, my city councilman represents me.

If you're trying to make a point about government, well, then I guess vocabulary be damned.

I think you are completely missing the point.

It is not that a politician cannot be a leader. It is not that an NCO or officer cannot be a leader.

It is not that a used car salesman cannot be a leader.

Being given a position does not automatically make someone a leader.

By the same token, what position you occupy does not preclude you from being a leader.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think you are completely missing the point.

It is not that a politician cannot be a leader. It is not that an NCO or officer cannot be a leader.

It is not that a used car salesman cannot be a leader.

Being given a position does not automatically make someone a leader.

By the same token, what position you occupy does not preclude you from being a leader.

Ok. I guess you've changed your mind, as it seems different from your OP:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Ok. I guess you've changed your mind, as it seems different from your OP:

It is not a change in my opinion. It is a more nuanced perspective than you are reading.

I think you're quickly reading what I wrote and filling areas, that are more detailed, with assumptions.

IDK specifically what part of the OP you're referring to.

From part of the OP:

What is hopefully a clarification:

They are just politicians. They are not, by default, a leader because they are a politician. A politician (who is not by default a leader just because they were given a position as a politician) is incapable of leading an alcoholic into a bar. They (just a politician) are no more a "leader" than I'm an astrophysicist (which I still am not).

Again, anyone who is under the belief that a politician is, by default, a leader is part of the problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

When did politicians start being referred to as "leaders"?...

I'm guessing about 3 minutes after the word "leader" was invented.

C'mon.

If we want to be nuanced, elected executives are supposed to be leaders.

Top Bottom