• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If a state like Texas or Montana were to succeed from the Union, would you move there? If they put their foot down against the federal government and demanded sovereignty?

I'd definitely be interested but would probably wait it out a little to see what kind of leadership would be put into place and how it is enforced. Unfortunately, if not handled correctly, it could end up worse than what we have now. I think this will be our only opportunity for a Galt's Gulch.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If a state like Texas or Montana were to succeed from the Union, would you move there? If they put their foot down against the federal government and demanded sovereignty?

I'd definitely be interested but would probably wait it out a little to see what kind of leadership would be put into place and how it is enforced. Unfortunately, if not handled correctly, it could end up worse than what we have now. I think this will be our only opportunity for a Galt's Gulch.

Better question - would they allow anyone to migrate there?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    hornadylnl, have you read Molon Labe by Boston T. Party?

I think this read is right up your alley.:D

Molon Labe! by Boston T. Party at Javelin Press

Six hundred fifty dollars cash for sixteen books is a decent price - an ounce of .999 pure (VF) gold plus $150 cash is not. Gold is up to what, almost [strike]$1200[/strike] $1210 dollars per ounce now?

I've never heard of it, and while this might be a good book, I don't trust the publisher to give a fair price. If paper is so worthless, why must it be tossed in addition to gold? If in fact, it is worthless, why not give a fair equivalent of gold?

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark, methinks.

Also, thanks, Annie.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    The Federal Government would never allow a state to secede. If a state were to really try it military force would be used...

This I doubt. Suppose Texas secedes. Do you really think the US military is going to invade Texas and fire on US citizens? No way. We don't have the stomach for Civil War 2.

If Texas or Montana seceded I would be very tempted to move there, especially Montana since my father's family is from there. As OP said, I would want to see what government they set up. My guess is that it will be a significant improvement on the current Federal government.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Six hundred fifty dollars cash for sixteen books is a decent price - an ounce of .999 pure (VF) gold plus $150 cash is not. Gold is up to what, almost [strike]$1200[/strike] $1210 dollars per ounce now?

I've never heard of it, and while this might be a good book, I don't trust the publisher to give a fair price. If paper is so worthless, why must it be tossed in addition to gold? If in fact, it is worthless, why not give a fair equivalent of gold?

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark, methinks.

Also, thanks, Annie.
    It's a good read, but you can get it from Amazon easier and cheaper. There's also "The Third Revolution" by Anthony F. Lewis. Good read there, too (as well as it's sequel). "Hope" by Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith was also a great read (although not a Secession novel. More of a restoration novel). All available from Amazon.

As for moving...it would depend on a number of factors. I don't live in Texas now, because I don't care for much of their politics. And Montana has none of the necessary industrial infrastructure to support my families needs vis a vis employment. While that could change under a secessionist "government" I'd be like everyone else and wait to see what they came up with in terms of government. Texas would likely lean way to far right for my tastes and the likelihood of a fundamentalist bent to their government is too high for my taste.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would be very interested in seeing a PEACEFUL secession.

I do not ever want to see one American raise a weapon in anger against another, particularly not for simply saying (in essence) "Go on about your way, we will be about ours. Fare the well and may God bless you."

Should a departure from the Union happen in this manner, the fedgov would be hard pressed to justify firing on peaceful, non-threatening people.

If it is to happen at all, this would be the best way for it to happen.

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I would be very interested in seeing a PEACEFUL secession.

Has this ever happen in wolrd history? I'm not asking a ritochinal (??sp??) question either. I just :dunno: The only one I can think of is whe East/West Germany became one but that is the opossite of what we are talking about.

How about when USSR broken up? Was there violence?

Not sure is MT could do it (economy wise). TX perhaps since they have OIL but not sure.. They have a lot of MIL bases:
    State-by-State Listing of Major U.S. Military Bases - Texas

whereas MT only has 1.
    State-by-State Listing of Major U.S. Military Bases - Montana

Where is the base that is in the mountain with the nukes? (NORAD????) Is that not up NORTH somewhere?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Where is the base that is in the mountain with the nukes? (NORAD????) Is that not up NORTH somewhere?

NORAD is in Colorado. Not MT. But MT does have more than one military base I thought.... I was thinking they had two missile silos and an Air Force Base.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    didnt we try this once? about 600,000 people died as i recall.

So the first time you fell off your time (when learning to ride it) did you just give up? ;)

Sadly mankind is good at 1 time. REPEATING HISTORY ALL THE TIME! :faint:

I don't want for us to repeat history like our prior generations did there has to be another way. Perhaps going back to not being "the world police" and really cleaning our own house (all or debt, our crazy appetiet to spend and not save, our inability to making anything (everything comes from China) etc..)

While all of these are POLITICAL matters to a certain extent the real falt is not just in DC. But at what stares at us in orface when we stare in the mirror every day. We have become our own worst enemy. =[

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The hardest decision for me would be between the warmth of Texas and the Mountains in western Montana. :D

Montana, hands down. I'd rather live above the jet stream away from huge amounts of people than have to worry about South of the Border illegal immigrants and hurricanes. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, I meant secede. Brain fart.

I would wait it out and see what they set up. I'm sure there will be a buy in to get in much like Galt's Gulch. There may not be many jobs there now but I'll guarantee you that if industry were left alone to do what they do best, jobs will fly into any state that tries it.

If it looks like they set up a good government and had good people in charge, I'd leave everything I have here behind if they buy in weren't too great out there. $1 million here in a collapsing economy isn't worth $10 in a freedom loving state that allows you the right to your own property. In our current system, what you have will always go down in value whereas in a new state, you could only be limited by your own ability to produce.

Top Bottom