• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    From the article with my empahises in red.

Proponents say the measure gives citizens of the island the right to self-determination.‬‪ ‬‪Critics say the measure is a device to impose statehood on a population that doesn't want it.‬‪ ‬‪Thursday's action was nonbinding, and if Puerto Ricans eventually select statehood, Congress would still have to vote to admit the island to the union as the 51st state.‬‪ ‬‪

The issue divided Democrats and Republicans alike as liberal Democrats with ties to Puerto Rico teamed with conservative Republicans to oppose the measure.
    The divides were particularly stark among members of the House Republican leadership team. House Minority Leader John Boehner,R-Ohio, voted against the legislation. Meantime, House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence, R-Ind., voted in favor.

----
    Good news is that even if the senate passes it now, PR still has to vote on it and then it still has to come back to be voted on by congress again. So lots of voting still.

HOWEVER Pence voted yes? :nono::dunno: what the heck? I though pence was 1 of us (yeah need to define this I know) but is he not pro-2A and a conservative? Why is he voting yes for this? :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why would any Republican vote for this. PR will elect 2 Dem Senators and 6-8 Dem Congressman. Idiots.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What a shame. :noway:

And what happened to Mike Pence? Endorsing Dan Coats, and now he's supporting Progressive agenda and the further expansion of government.
    :spend: :D would be my guess.

No proof, of course...just a guess.

'Course, some of us who favor the republic as it was envisioned, who support the Constitution's words, well.. there's some of us whose integrity and whose principles are not for sale, and y'know what? We vote.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The Puerto Rico Democracy Act is a Non Binding Resolution? The Tennessee Plan is Coming Written by RSN Thursday, 29 April 2010 06:02

Breaking News..
    After reading Robert Moon's article in the Conservative Examiner, yesterday and watching the Glenn Beck video below, you will see how our elected representatives are moving under the cover of smoke and using mirrors to deflect our attention to issues like financial reform. HR 2499, being voted on today, if passed it will force a yes or no vote in Puerto Rico.
    If passed, the trigger is pulled on the second question....oh my.

Democrats rushing through Puerto Rico power grab
    from the Conservative Examiner and Robert Moon
    Quietly sailing through the House this week is yet another piece of partisan stealth legislation aimed at manufacturing more Democrat power at the expense of the American people, the economy and the country.
    This time, it's the Puerto Rico Democracy Act (H.R. 2499). It would force Puerto Rico to vote on U.S. statehood and is designed to stack the deck in favor of statehood, going even as far as to require the territory to vote every eight years until statehood is accepted.
    ==========================================
    Related Article from Heritage Foundation
    Puerto Rico Democracy Act - Legislation Biased in Favor of Statehood
    ==========================================
    from Yesterday......vote is today
    Critical Glenn Beck Video-must watch all 20 minutes to "GET IT"

========================================
    Not only is Puerto Rico already a fully-functioning democracy, but it has also repeatedly rejected attempts to turn it into a U.S. state, for decades.
    But still, desperate to create new Democrat voters and elected officials, the left is now aggressively setting the stage for the creation of a 51st state.
    Due to its dense population of poverty-stricken minorities, Puerto Rico can be counted on to vote overwhelmingly for Democrats and all their handouts, and their representation will also consequently outnumber that of 25 other existing U.S. states.
    Meanwhile, with Puerto Ricans having an average income of less than half that of our poorest state, they will instantly become eligible for dozens of our welfare programs. Truckloads of taxpayer dollars will also have to be perpetually dumped into the territory, by federal law, to bring it up to American infrastructure and environmental standards.
    This will also force the U.S. to become a bi-lingual country overnight, which will produce a whole new set of problems.

http://www.rightsidenews.com/201004299802/politics-and-economics/the-puerto-rico-democracy-act-is-a-non-binding-resolution-the-tennessee-plan-is-coming.html

I don't like the looks of this at all.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    What a shame. :noway:

And what happened to Mike Pence? Endorsing Dan Coats, and now he's supporting Progressive agenda and the further expansion of government.

Pence did not endorse Coats, that was a Cotes power ploy. I posted a link about it under the earlier thread.

I don't know a lot about Pence, and I am somewhat confused about the PR vote - supposedly Paul supported it as well. I don't trust this administration so at best thetiming is bad. Think of it as another Christmas present, when they pass it we will find out.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Money and power.

That is it, nothing more nothing less, big government just gets bigger!

I can't see anything good can be coming from this.

:xmad:

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum... I wonder is this (the PR thing) really a distraction for something else they may be working on? Either the financial reform or ammensty or cap n trade? This all seems to be moving freaking FFFFFFAAAAAASSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think Glenn Beck has this figured out pretty good....The Tenn. Act could
    come into play. Obama wants it because it will insure 4 million democratic votes.
    Its all power for Dem. I liked Coats, but after hearing some good info from some
    of you INGO folks....I'm leaning towards that Stuntzman guy now.

Top Bottom