• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If true, this is going to get very ugly. Allegedly police shot into the house from outside the house after lobbing in flash bang in. This directly contradicts official police version.

Real #45,987 why police hate video tape and fight it whenever they can. "Camera are the new guns", if this is correct, this will be the shot heard around the world.

Attorney: Video shows police fired into home

He says footage contradicts police version of how 7-year-old was shot

100514-detroit-shooting-hmed-9a.hmedium.jpg

Beneath a broken glass window where the police threw a flash grenade, Aiyana Jones' father Charles Jones (known as C.J.), front, mourns his 7-year-old daughter's death while sitting on the porch of their home in Detroit on Sunday.

View related photos
    Brandy Baker / AP

APTRANS.gif
    updated 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

DETROIT - An attorney for the family of a 7-year-old girl slain during a weekend raid at their Detroit home says video footage contradicts the police department's version of events.
    Geoffrey Fieger said Monday that footage shot by the A&E crime-reality show "The First 48" shows that police fired into the home at least once after lobbing a flash grenade through a window.
    He says that contradicts the police department's explanation that an officer's gun fired during a confrontation with a resident inside the home. Seven-year-old Aiyana Jones was shot in the neck and died.

Fieger says he viewed three to four minutes of footage but declined to say who showed it to him. The police department says it is trying to acquire the video.

An A&E spokesman declined to comment.

The girl's father, 25-year-old Charles Jones, told The Detroit News he had just gone to bed early Sunday after covering his daughter with her favorite Disney princess blanket when he heard a flash grenade followed by a gunshot. When he rushed into the living room, he said, police forced him to lie on the ground, with his face in his daughter's blood.

"I'll never be the same. That's my only daughter," Jones told WXYZ-TV.
    Assistant Chief Ralph Godbee earlier said officers set off the flash grenade as they entered the apartment with their guns drawn about 12:40 a.m. Sunday with a warrant to look for a suspect in the Friday slaying of a 17-year-old boy. The lead officer's gun went off after he encountered a 46-year-old woman inside the front room of the home and "some level of physical contact" ensued. Police do not believe the gun was fired intentionally.

"This is any parent's worst nightmare. It also is any police officer's worst nightmare," Godbee said.
    Family members identified the woman as the child's grandmother and Charles Jones' mother, Mertilla Jones, who has said she was not involved in a struggle with the officer. Police later said the officer may have just collided with the woman.

Officer on leave
    The officer was put on paid administrative leave and police are investigating, Godbee said.
    "This is a tragedy of unspeakable magnitude to Aiyana's parents, family and all those who loved her," Godbee said. "It is a tragedy we also feel very deeply throughout the ranks of the Detroit Police Department."

Charles Jones said he had to wait for hours to find out what happened to his daughter.
    "Her blood was everywhere and I was trying to stay calm, but nobody would talk to me. None of them even tried to console me," Jones told The Detroit News.

video.gif
    Video

Death in Detroit
    May 17: The family of a Detroit child who was shot during a police raid say the girl was sleeping in her living room when she was fatally struck. Msnbc's Tamron Hall reports.
    msnbc tv

The officers had a search warrant and were looking for a 34-year-old man suspected in the shooting death of Jarean Blake. Officers arrested the suspect during a search of the building, Godbee said.

Godbee would not comment on newspaper reports that neighbors told police there were children in the house and showed them toys in the front yard. The girl's father said three other children besides Aiyana were in the home when the raid happened.

Charles Jones said he was trying not to be angry but wanted the story to be told. He said Aiyana was a lively child who loved to sing and had recently developed an interest in Hannah Montana and the Justin Bieber song "Baby."

"She was just figuring out what she liked, what she wanted to do with her life," her father said. "I want this story to be heard. This was a wrongful death."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    don't worry the cops will get 2 weeks paid administrative leave. that is just the way it works. but we need not judge these police officers, they will be judged when they meet their maker.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Sad day for all involved.

Especially the family on the loss of their little one.

Places a dark cloud over those untrusted to protect and serve.
    The entire force will be saddled with this unfortunate action for years to come.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    If true, this is going to get very ugly. Allegedly police shot into the house from outside the house after lobbing in flash bang in. This directly contradicts official police version.

Real #45,987 why police hate video tape and fight it whenever they can. "Camera are the new guns", if this is correct, this will be the shot heard around the world.

This needs to be an immediate arrest on a reckless homicide charge, at a minimum.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Places a dark cloud over those untrusted to protect and serve.
    The entire force will be saddled with this unfortunate action for years to come.

We're saddled with the police, for years to come.

Can I opt out of PoliceCare? They leave me alone, and I leave them alone - permanently. I don't wish to purchase their services.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    oh for the love it. Im not for these kinds of raids at all, but am i the only one that thinks its the victims families fault? If they had not associated with known criminals there wouldn't have been a raid.and the girl would not have been hurt.If the cops are covering up what they did they should be punished very harshly, as they have lost public trust now, but the facts still remain if the family had not had anything to do with a killer or drug dealers then this probable wouldnt have happened.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    is it realy a sad day for the department?? i doubt it. if they are sad its only because they are scared how much its gonna cost them. the detroit police department kills innocent people all the time. the only difference is thankfully this one was caught on tape by an outside group, who will sell the tape to make money, so therefore we will all get to see it and so will the world.

Police arent suposed to be soldiers, and SWAT teams in my opinion are skirting the constitution that keeps armed soldiers from operating in our streets. whats the diference besides their uniforms say "police"??? they even cover their faces. how about "SECRET POLICE" instead of SWAT????

also, how in the heck are they supposed to hear the words "police search warrant" when they are asleep and then a flash bang gets thrown in their home that makes them deaf???? i dont care if they are looking for SATAN, surround the house and bingo the guy aint going anywhere.

the guy who posted above me: i agree with you that if you asociate with criminals then you better be prepared to reap some responsibility, but not dead kids from the police MURDERING them.

if i was that father, my sole purpose in life from today on would be revenge 1,000 fold greater, PERIOD!!!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I won't comment on who was right or wrong or whatever, as we still don't know the full story, indeed looks bad for the LEO side though. However, they were living with a murderer, and S.W.A.T. had to use a flash bang to make entry. Not exactly looking out for his daughter, I still won't pass judgment as I don't know the full story; seems lacking in the parental dept though.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's even uglier. The cops were in performance mode for a reality TV show, according to Will Grigg's newest piece. They wanted to look tough for the cameras and I guess they did. Too bad the little girl had to die for a ratings surge.:xmad:

via Pro Libertate

This was not a hostage situation. The proverbial clock wasn't ticking. Why didn't the police quietly set up a perimeter at the targeted address, and wait until the suspect left the building? Why stage a post-midnight paramilitary raid against a home where children were present?

A paragraph found toward the end of a Detroit Free Press account provides a likely answer:

"Outside the home, the department's special response team was prepared to go in. Film crews with A&E's `The First 48' reality show, which follows police departments nationwide during the crucial 48 hours after a homicide is committed, were taping the team for a documentary. Police spokesman John Roach said the tapes will be reviewed as part of the investigation."

In other words, the decision-making process in this investigation was being distorted by the "COPS Effect." The department insists that this was a high-risk warrant enforcement operation, but it wasn't too dangerous to bring a camera crew along. Had the intent been simply to capture a murder suspect, the police could have sent a team of street officers and homicide detectives, rather than the paramilitary goon squad and their archivists.

Much more at the source. If people would stop watching these reality shows, perhaps we could cut down on this nonsense.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    the guy who posted above me: i agree with you that if you asociate with criminals then you better be prepared to reap some responsibility, but not dead kids from the police MURDERING them.

if i was that father, my sole purpose in life from today on would be revenge 1,000 fold greater, PERIOD!!!

if i was a father my responsibility is to keep that kid safe. If i associated with bad people or did bad things i wouldnt be keeping them safe because trouble would eventually find me. But i agree the kids shouldnt have had to go thru that at all

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    These sad events seem to be happening more often since many uniformed civilian groups (police departments) decided to become para-military organizations.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if i was a father my responsibility is to keep that kid safe. If i associated with bad people or did bad things i wouldnt be keeping them safe because trouble would eventually find me. But i agree the kids shouldnt have had to go thru that at all

yes i completely agree with that!! i am a father and i am very protective and wouldnt hessitate to deal swift daddy justice to anyone who even thought about hurting my child. and i DEFFINATLY wouldnt be associating with criminal types and put my family in danger.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Let's say your 18-year-old son comes home late one night after murdering somebody and doesn't tell you he murdered somebody. Further, you know he's done a couple of bad things in his short life, but nothing that serious. Then the police show up all gung-ho with their camera crew and shoot your little girl.

Your fault, right?

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I'll reserve judgement until the tape has been displayed and we have an opportunity to view and dissect it. This thing is picking up speed, and the outcome could get ugly fast. FWIW, if the dept. thought that this was a situation risky enough to warrant the use of a SWAT entry team, then the cameras had NO business being there. Period. That is simply unacceptable to me.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    oh for the love it. Im not for these kinds of raids at all, but am i the only one that thinks its the victims families fault? If they had not associated with known criminals there wouldn't have been a raid.and the girl would not have been hurt.If the cops are covering up what they did they should be punished very harshly, as they have lost public trust now, but the facts still remain if the family had not had anything to do with a killer or drug dealers then this probable wouldnt have happened.
    FWIW... I've seen several times that this residence was referred to as "the apartment," which indicates to me that it was probably a multi-family home, especially in the light of the fact that the several articles refer to 3 or 4 additional children "in the building," none of whom are referred to as Jones' children or even relatives of his. "The victim's family" may not have been the ones associating with a suspected murderer.
    :twocents:

ETA: I'm not saying you're wrong, btw... just saying it may be the wrong conclusion in this situation.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Let's say your 18-year-old son comes home late one night after murdering somebody and doesn't tell you he murdered somebody. Further, you know he's done a couple of bad things in his short life, but nothing that serious. Then the police show up all gung-ho with their camera crew and shoot your little girl.

Your fault, right?

if i knew he was a felon or was getting into trouble then yeah it would be because i have allowed his dealings to interfere with someone elses life.A life i would have been responsible for.If my son is doing things that get him arrested then i as a parent failed

Top Bottom