• rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    (How) are they the same?

How are they different?

Is Corporatism just another word for Fascism?

Is Corporatism being exhibited in America to a greater degree than real Capitalism is?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    (How) are they the same?

How are they different?

Is Corporatism just another word for Fascism?

Is Corporatism being exhibited in America to a greater degree than real Capitalism is?
    The Austrians differentiate the concepts with the terms "market economy" and "political economy". In the market economy, the only thing that brings success is serving the needs and wants of the customers better than the competition. In the political economy, profit is gained by attacking rivals with regulations, licenses, lawsuits, and being the first in line when the subsidy trough is filled. The market economy rewards innovation and salesmanship, the political economy rewards networking and legal skill.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So we should be all for a market economy, and resistant to a political economy.

Our economy seems very political right now.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Corporatism is taking over America at an alarming rate.

Big corporations buy up all the medium companies that buy the small companies. If this keeps going, eventually, there's only going to be a few corporations that own everything. It appears that monopoly laws don't apply much anymore.

Another thing I keep hearing from entrepreneurs...
    They're goal is to start a company and make it successful enough to be bought up by a corporation. Really? That's the mindset now. "I just want to make something nice so that my corporate master will be pleased and give me a big reward that I can live off of for the rest of my life. Everyone else be damned."

Corporatism stifles competition and poisons Capitalism.

For example, where's all the electric cars? Bought up and shelved by the corporate car makers.

Where's that 200mpg carburetor? Shut down by big oil

Corporatism is the reason that 1% of our population owns 90% of the wealth. Corporatism is going to be our demise.

If you want to see how this all turns out, you should watch Idiocracy.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

Original blueprints for 200 mpg carburetor found in England

Categories
    Technology
    Rather than a future technology, high mileage carburetors are inventions of the past, but unfortunately they did never make it to market. I wonder why. Now one of them may come back to haunt the oil interests - a bit late, but nevertheless.

An article published in Times Online on 19 April 2003 relates the story of how plans for the carburetor designed by Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in the 1930 were recently re-discovered by a Cornish mechanic in a secret compartment of a toolbox he had been given . . .

Source: Times Online
    Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003

Oil Industry Suppressed Plans for 200-MPG Car

The original blueprints for a device that could have revolutionized the motor car have been discovered in the secret compartment of a tool box. A carburetor that would allow a car to travel 200 miles on a gallon of fuel caused oil stocks to crash when it was announced by its Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in the 1930s.

But the carburetor was never produced and, mysteriously, Pogue went overnight from impoverished inventor to the manager of a successful factory making oil filters for the motor industry. Ever since, suspicion has lingered that oil companies and car manufacturers colluded to bury Pogue’s invention.

Now a retired Cornish mechanic has enlisted the help of the University of Plymouth to rebuild Pogue’s revolutionary carburetor, known as the Winnipeg, from blueprints he found hidden beneath a sheet of plywood in the box. The controversial plans once caused panic among oil companies and rocked the Toronto Stock Exchange when tests carried out on the carburetor in the 1930s proved that it worked.

Patrick Davies, 72, from St Austell, had owned the tool box for 40 years but only recently decided to clean it out. As well as drawings of the carburetor, the envelope contained two pages of plans, three test reports and six pages of notes written by Pogue. They included a report of a test that Pogue had done on his lawnmower, which showed that he had managed to make the engine run for seven days on a quart (just under a litre) of petrol. The documents also described how the machine worked by turning petrol into a vapour before it entered the cylinder chamber, reducing the amount of fuel needed for combustion.

Mr Davies has had the patent number on the plans authenticated, proving that they are genuine documents.
    He said: “I couldn’t believe what I saw. I used to be a motor mechanic and I knew this was something else altogether. I was given the tool box by a friend after I helped to paint her house in 1964. Her husband had spent a lot of time in Canada.”

The announcement of Pogue’s invention caused enormous excitement in the American motor industry in 1933, when he drove 200 miles on one gallon of fuel in a Ford V8. However, the Winnipeg was never manufactured commercially and after 1936 it disappeared altogether amid allegations of a political cover-up.

Dr Murray Bell, of the University of Plymouth’s department of mechanical and marine engineering, said he would consider trying to build a model of the Pogue carburetor.

Engineers who have tried in the past to build a carburetor using Pogue’s theories have found the results less than satisfactory. Charles Friend, of Canada’s National Research Council, told Marketplace, a consumer affairs programme: “You can get fantastic mileage if you’re prepared to de-rate the vehicle to a point where, for example, it might take you ten minutes to accelerate from 0 to 30 miles an hour.”

:lol2:
    Yep, me too!
    I am ALL tore up over the disappearance of this fine invention!
    :n00b:
    :laugh:

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your views on Consumerism / Corporatism. Oh wait, you didn't offer any. Instead you're nit-picking on my post. Well done sir.

IF I TYPE BIGGER THAN YOU, DOES THAT MAKE ME MORE IMPORTANT?

Original blueprints for 200 mpg carburetor found in England

Yep, me too!
    I am ALL tore up over the disappearance of this fine invention!
    :n00b:
    :laugh:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Would it be fair to say:

Fascism is when the Government runs businesses.
    Corporatism is when Big Business runs Government.

Both with negative implications on liberty.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Would it be fair to say:

Fascism is when the Government runs businesses.
    Corporatism is when Big Business runs Government.

Both with negative implications on liberty.

So, here is where I get to put my otherwise completely useless polisci undergrad degree to use :laugh:

Fascism is more than just an economic theory, and includes a heavy emphasis on nationalism, and social authoritarianism, among other things.

Corporatism is the simply the economic component of fascism, in which large corporations (or more accurately those in charge of large corporations) co-opt with gov't. It's a mutual thing, with money and personnel bouncing back and forth. Example: Goldman Sachs, Fannie and Freddie, etc. Neither one necessarily controls the other. It's like an unholy marriage of money and the state's monopoly on the legal use of force.

In theory, you could have a gov't with a corporatist econ policy with a non fascist social (non-economic) policy. I think we're currently somewhere in that area, trending downward. Our economic situation is very corporatist, but the social side of things hasn't progressed to Nazi Germany or Franco Spain levels..... at least not yet.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    For example, where's all the electric cars? Bought up and shelved by the corporate car makers.

The electric car is right next to the small light weight battery that has a 200-300 mile range.

The 200 mpg carburetor is currently mounted on my 80 cc 2 stroke bicycle. Works like a charm. Not much room for luggage though.

;)

All sarcasm aside, if these magic bullets did exist, someone would make a giant pile of money selling them. I have worked in the automotive and jet engine industry and we would run down someone's grandmother to get to inventions like that.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    All sarcasm aside, if these magic bullets did exist, someone would make a giant pile of money selling them. I have worked in the automotive and jet engine industry and we would run down someone's grandmother to get to inventions like that.
    And this is generally my response as well. There is far too much opportunity involved, especially at this stage in the game, for these conspiracies to have actually existed.

If GM or Chrysler or whoever still had a 200mpg carb, they would be whipping it out, putting it in a single model, and seeing how it sells. Even if it did have a 10-minute acceleration curve, there are a fair number of people who would buy it. People are buying the Segway, for God's sake, and it's damn near useless as a vehicle except under very limited circumstances.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    And this is generally my response as well. There is far too much opportunity involved, especially at this stage in the game, for these conspiracies to have actually existed.

If GM or Chrysler or whoever still had a 200mpg carb, they would be whipping it out, putting it in a single model, and seeing how it sells. Even if it did have a 10-minute acceleration curve, there are a fair number of people who would buy it. People are buying the Segway, for God's sake, and it's damn near useless as a vehicle except under very limited circumstances.

They make great MNAVs (mall ninga assault vehicle).

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Even if you doubled the power and could only get 100 mpg out of that could you imagine how well something like that would sell??

Randall Flagg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    They're only buying it because they've been conditioned by the evil marketing!

Does someone need a wambulance?

wambulance5fw.jpg

Top Bottom