Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Custom Turkey Calls

Just wanted to show off my other hobby, building custom pot calls on my lathe.

This one is mahogany, slate over glass. The strikers are sycamore, walnut, osage orange, and cherry.

This one is black palm.
    I do mostly domestic woods. It gives me something to do when it gets dark so early.

This one is cherry. Most of the calls are either slate over slate or slate over glass.
    I also was able to do some wine stoppers for christmas presents this year heres a couple.

Have a great Christmas and thanks for checkin out my pics.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Nice looking calls. I wish that I had that kind of talent. Great job

User Info Menu

Those are purtty, very nice craftsmanship.!

Plinker

User Info Menu

You sell any of these?

Plinker

User Info Menu

i have a friend who makes them too, but he dont have a lath! those r nice

User Info Menu

To answer your question dehayse32, yes all the time. If you have a interest shoot me a pm. It's very fufilling to call in birds with calls that you made with your own hands. These calls can be super loud or soft and quiet. You can run keekees, yelps, cuts, putts, and purrs on them. If you have ever run a Custom call, you know they are far superior then production calls. I spend a lot of time in the work shop in the winter months making calls and strikers. Thanks for the kind words.

User Info Menu

nice indeed

Plinker

User Info Menu

Where do you get your slate from? Some of the best sounding calls I have heard were made from old slate roofing tiles, and old chalk boards
    Seeking government "permission" to bear arms, is unconstitutional, in any form

User Info Menu

I first got my slate from ebay, then I started looking at the web and found the Pennsylvania Slate Company. I kept looking for other suppliers and now buy from a guy on another forum dedicated to turkey hunting. Thats also where I get my glass, chalk for boxes, and reed supplies.

Plinker

User Info Menu

PM on its way. Would love to give these a whirl on some Indiana gobblers this spring. I love the sound of a homemade call!