• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Wild hogs pose environmental threat; following the law will help control them

In order to help control and reduce environmentally destructive wild hog populations in Indiana, regulations were passed by the Indiana Natural Resource Commission in November 2010. The regulations include the following:

* It is illegal for a person to import or possess a live wild hog in Indiana, except under stringent exemptions.
    * Resident landowners or other individuals with written permission can take (capture or shoot) wild hogs on the landowner's property at any time without a permit.
    * The regulation removes the ability for giving economic or any other type of compensation for providing recreational opportunities to hunt wild hogs and requires captured wild hogs to be killed immediately or transported, in a container of sufficient strength preventing escape, to where they will be killed immediately.

"Wild hogs" are called many different names such as wild pigs, wild boar or feral pigs. The names all refer to non-native swine and various hybrids that have either been illegally released or were formerly domestic pigs that were allowed to become feral. They pose problems in many states, including Indiana.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services and the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH), is working with landowners impacted by wild hogs by providing technical information to control wild hog populations.

The DNR, BOAH, and USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services; however, as policy, do not provide information on where to hunt wild hogs in Indiana. This practice is part of the DNR's cooperative work with landowners.
    To help control this environmental threat, if you see feral or wild hogs, report the approximate location and number of hogs observed by contacting one of the following:

* USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services, (765) 404-0382; joe.n.caudell@aphis.usda.gov
    * DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife, dfw@dnr.IN.gov
    * BOAH at (877) 747-3038; animalhealth@boah.IN.gov
    * Individuals observing the illegal possession, importation, or release of wild hogs should contact DNR Law Enforcement at 1-800-TIP-IDNR.

Wild hogs cause extensive damage to agricultural crops, are a source of disease for domestic livestock, and will prey on young livestock and small animals. Wild hogs may carry a number of diseases that can also infect people, and contaminate human food sources and water supplies. Wild hogs have also been known to destroyed residential lawns, landscaping, golf courses, and rural cemeteries.

Wild hogs also threaten native wildlife and their habitats.

* They eat the eggs and young of ground nesting animals, including many songbirds, quail, wild turkey, and rabbits.
    * They destroy wetlands and water resources, including amphibian and reptile habitat.
    * Their habit of rooting causes serious damage to habitat management practices to develop nesting cover and annual food plots.
    * Their rooting and wallowing destroys native plants, flowers, and mushrooms.

A coordinated effort will help control this environmental threat.

More information: Steve Backs, DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife, (812) 849-4586, sbacks@dnr.in.gov.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i have heard of wild ones being spotted down near the ohio.. I have seen loose ones up in Fountain county..
    a lot of this is the legal framework to keep Indiana from having a problem..
    this is to get the word out that if you do spot hogs on your land, you can go ahead and kill them...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    That's awesome. It looks and sounds like they are mostly in the southern part of the state - around 50-75 miles from the KY border. I can't find any accurate maps/projections online, but it's totally feasible that (in rural areas) they are spreading fairly quickly. I've heard from some farmers around Montgomery/Washington area that they think there are loose feral hogs around there.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I live, almost literally, a stones throw from the Ohio River (my arm is not what it used to be;)), and have a lot of wooded DNR land right here by the house, and have not yet seen any hogs. I see just about any other kind of wildlife, but no hogs. Bad thing is, I would not be able to shoot any of them, because I'm inside town limits. I would love to get in on a hog hunt.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    That's awesome. It looks and sounds like they are mostly in the southern part of the state - around 50-75 miles from the KY border. I can't find any accurate maps/projections online, but it's totally feasible that (in rural areas) they are spreading fairly quickly. I've heard from some farmers around Montgomery/Washington area that they think there are loose feral hogs around there.

I have yet to see any here or down around my Moms in the sticks of Patoka Lake.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I would think without minimal protection they would have a hard time surviving the winter. I thought hogs had a hard time in freezing weather.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I would think without minimal protection they would have a hard time surviving the winter. I thought hogs had a hard time in freezing weather.

i'm not sure this is really the case. i think they adapt very well. when i was in hohenfels germany we use to regularly see the big russian bors running around in sub zero temps. they had no problems and it gets super cold there for the winter period.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    They survive very well in the Winter. They can go back in those hills and find outcrops and caves to hole up in. On the surface it sounds "awesome" to have wild hogs. It ain't ! They over populate in a hurry and what they do to farm crops is terrible. They'll starve a deer to death. Find out where they are, try to get permission to hunt them. (hard to do in our now litigious society) and kill 'em all.! If this is not taken care of quickly, this will be a MAJOR problem in the very near future. And the DNR's plan to live trap whole family units of pigs and relocate them is nothing but BS. A plan written by someone who likely has never hunted.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    They survive very well in the Winter. They can go back in those hills and find outcrops and caves to hole up in. On the surface it sounds "awesome" to have wild hogs. It ain't ! They over populate in a hurry and what they do to farm crops is terrible. They'll starve a deer to death. Find out where they are, try to get permission to hunt them. (hard to do in our now litigious society) and kill 'em all.! If this is not taken care of quickly, this will be a MAJOR problem in the very near future. And the DNR's plan to live trap whole family units of pigs and relocate them is nothing but BS. A plan written by someone who likely has never hunted.

We had a good number in some stripper pit spoil banks in behind where I hunt in Northern Warrick county. We shot them on sight and some others trapped them and killed them. No "relocating" to it.

Not sure if it is legal or not but the fastest and easiest way to get rid of them completely is to get a truck full of broken "clay" pigeons from your local trap and skeet field and leave them in a hog infested area. The hogs will eat them and die. Whatever is in the "pigeons" is toxic to hogs but will not bother other critters.....or so I am told.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Willie the way I understand it, it's not so much toxic as the clay get's in their insides and cuts like glass. I don't know if that's true though, The range I shoot at has a clay course on it, there be hogs in the area they seem to be down right now but seems like it goes in cycles.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie the way I understand it, it's not so much toxic as the clay get's in their insides and cuts like glass. I don't know if that's true though, The range I shoot at has a clay course on it, there be hogs in the area they seem to be down right now but seems like it goes in cycles.

I'm pretty sure it is the coal tar pitch in them that is toxic to hogs, but not other critters....

This article talks about mixing it with corn or other feed. The ones that I had heard about using it just dumped the broken pieces in an area used by hogs..

http://www.uga.edu/scwds/topic_index/1995/CLAYPI~1.pdf

Last edited:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Yeah, we really need the anti hunting folks finding out about torturing the hogs. They'll be protected after that.

Top Bottom