• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    About a month before my surgery I started free ranging all of my chickens 24/7 mostly as an experiment and to make it easy for my lazy stepson to take care of them while we were gone. All he had to do is put it feed and water and go to the nesting boxes and collect the eggs once a day. I have some young birds 1/2 of which are roosters that are starting to reach adulthood and they are starting to beat up on the pullets. I have decided I want to harvest them by shooting them, since they have become sort of hard to catch. Should I be able to effectively kill large breed adult roosters with a pellet rifle? Or, do you think I will need to break out the 22.

it is very easy to get within 4 or 5 feet of them, but not so easy to get a hand on them.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    About a month before my surgery I started free ranging all of my chickens 24/7 mostly as an experiment and to make it easy for my lazy stepson to take care of them while we were gone. All he had to do is put it feed and water and go to the nesting boxes and collect the eggs once a day. I have some young birds 1/2 of which are roosters that are starting to reach adulthood and they are starting to beat up on the pullets. I have decided I want to harvest them by shooting them, since they have become sort of hard to catch. Should I be able to effectively kill large breed adult roosters with a pellet rifle? Or, do you think I will need to break out the 22.

it is very easy to get within 4 or 5 feet of them, but not so easy to get a hand on them.

I would think the the .22 would be your best option.... if the pellet rifle doesn't kill immediately I would think that would be kind of inhumane......

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I would say it depends on the pellet gun, the pellet and shot placement. I have a 1500 FPS gun with some small game heads if you want to borrow it. It would do the job. Did I say borrow? I meant barter... for some delicioso pollo peices.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've done a lot of hunting/varmint control with pellet rifles. Everything from small/large birds to squirrels and including a couple racoons. I use a .177 rifle shooting 1000fps or a .22 at 800fps. even the racoon was an instant kill. one shot in the ear and out the other. i'd say a decent pellet rifle will very easily take care of it. just dont use a red ryder.

i do know chickens will run even when they are dead. my aunt was attacked by a rooster that scratched her leg up. my uncle grabbed a golf club and swung away. its neck was broken since its head was upside down......but it still ran around for about 10 seconds.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    i do know chickens will run even when they are dead. my aunt was attacked by a rooster that scratched her leg up. my uncle grabbed a golf club and swung away. its neck was broken since its head was upside down......but it still ran around for about 10 seconds.
    I do have a 7 iron!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I do have a 7 iron!

Would that be the first step to making a Chicken Club sammich? ;)

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    You beat me to it! this is what we used to do as a part of helping grandpa harvest chickens to put in the freezer. Coat hanger works great. grab them by the leg and wring that neck!
    Piece of wire about 6 feet long, put a bend in the end & snag them by the foot!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You beat me to it! this is what we used to do as a part of helping grandpa harvest chickens to put in the freezer. Coat hanger works great. grab them by the leg and wring that neck!

Another variation of this is the thin wire loop in a pipe.

Put the loop over their head and give it a quick tug. Instant headless chicken.

works best if you can corral them into a small space.

Top Bottom