Page 422 of 425 FirstFirst ... 322 372 412 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 4242

Thread: Any Jeepers in here?

User Info Menu

Looked like a good crowd. My oldest son and I are headed back up in 2 weeks for a few days. My wife is wanting to try and do a weeks vacation next year up there as well. Keep me in mind if you organize a trip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Successfully invaded Silver Lake! Chilly, and a bit wet, but a great weekend. I think my wife has a lot more pics on her phone. Here are a few I took:

We also spent a day exploring the local "unimproved county roads". There is some really pretty scenery in Michigan.

The Gladiator did fantastic. No troubles at all. Didn't do anything nutty this trip. Just bounced around the sand for a day and a half, explored the area, visited Pentwater, and relaxed around the fire pit in the evenings.

My wife is already planning the next trip up. Literally. Was looking at other rentals before we even left! Need to get the 2021 Jeep Invasion dates. We stayed an extra day this time. I think we will try to stay a week next year. If they have decent internet, I can work for a day or so while the girls goof off.

Wouldn't mind organizing a trip up with a group next spring/summer. We've been enough to know the ins-and-outs.
    Looks like a blast! An Ingo Jeep trip would be epic!
    "God will have the last word, and it will be good!" --Dr. Robert H. Schuller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post
    I found a Rubi disconnecting sway bar, including the actuator. I pick it up Friday It is off a 2015 that was totalled when it had only 1500 miles on it, so it is in new condition. Driving out Friday night to pick it up and install it.
    My son and I installed the "new" disconnecting sway bar. First, it was MUCH tighter when connected than the original, so that confirms the original is worn out. Then the test....We took it over to a gravel road, put it in 4 low, and it disengaged and engaged quickly and fully. So the old Rubi is back to 100% mission capable! My brother will be driving her on the Appalatian Byway, so after an oil change, she'll be ready to go!

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm sore. I've completed lots of work was done mostly yesterday and during the last week on both the JK and JL, although mostly the JK. She's hitting the trail for the first time in 3 years as we take both on an Appalachian Byway adventure!

So, the following was done to the JK: Tried to fix, then replaced the disconnecting sway bar. The old one was just worn out. I also changed the front and rear differential oil, transfer case fluid, and then engine oil/filter, along with other small items like greasing the ball joints (I have aftermarket steel ball joints that were a BIG upgrade over the stock units that wore out around 100k.) Tires were also rotated/balanced. Spark plugs are next. She runs and drives absolutely like new.

On the JL, I installed an adjustable rear track bar that is heavier and can be adjusted without removal. It didn't take much to center the axle, but even a little off bugs me. I'll be adjusting the front to fine tune it, as well, but I have to remove it to do so. I also changed the oil on it and added a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug. I changed differential fluid a few weeks ago when I added a front Rancho diff skid and a rear ARB cover. All the other fluids are too new to worry about, having been changed between 10k and 15k miles ago. I also swapped the hard top and sunrider back onto it.

This trip should be a great one. We'll post lots of pics including some good ones and maybe some video from drones. We wound up with fewer people going, so we will mostly camp along the way since we have plenty of cargo room.

Gold Plug for the JL. This magnet is STRONG! Not sure if any real benefit, but it certainly won't hurt, either.

And the old girl is ready to get back to what she does best!

We'll be going from the border of NC/GA and following the route up to the VA/PA border, time permitting. We've got 1 week to make the journey. The most challenging part in terms of off-roading is supposed to be in VA in both the Jefferson and Washington National Forests. We'll be doing the purple, green, and red tracks. I'm hoping we get it done with enough time to check out Ghettysburg on the way home.

If anyone wants to join us, saddle up and load up your Jeep and let me know! We leave from the SW side of Indy Friday just a few minutes after 4pm. We have CB's but will primarily use GMRS radios. 3 Jeeps in the group, including my buddy's 2 door JKR, and my JKUR and JLUR.
    Last edited by Principal Skinr; 10-11-2020 at 08:25.

User Info Menu

Here is something fun. Pentastars are notorious for twisting oil filters and mine have all twisted like Chubby Checker. I've run Mopar, Fram, and Mobil 1, and they all did it to varying degrees. The last one was different, though. It is a Mobil 1 filter and it was among the longer runs at 6300 miles.

For reference, here's a typical level of twist on previous filters:

And, the worst I've seen.

So the good news is that I asked my friend who was an FCA engineer and was one of the designers of the Pentastar if this is a problem. He said not at all. He said they did huge studies on it and found no ill effect.

I put a new Fram and another new M1 next to the one with no twist. The one with no twist was very slightly shorter. Hmm. Not sure if compression over time had something to do with it, so I'll do the same when the current filter comes out. Also, for those wondering, I torque the filter cap to 18ft lbs, which is factory spec, every time. Yes, with a torque wrench. I know, I'm a bit OCD with this stuff.

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!! WhitleyStu's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've been buying NAPA GOLD filters for the last three years for both JKs and never had one twist.
    NRA Life Member since 3/15/89
    I donít carry a firearm for self-defense because Iím an optimistÖ
    Facts seldom stand in the way of what someone wants to believe.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

User Info Menu

Had a blast with my son at SL sand dunes. Probably will do a little more tomorrow before heading home. Had a great time, sunny but windy and chilly. Nice crowd but not packed by any means. Whole damn town is shut down. Canít even get food but it is the end of the season. Sorry damn website wonít let me attach pics for some reason. Apparently Iím over my allowance or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WhitleyStu View Post
    I've been buying NAPA GOLD filters for the last three years for both JKs and never had one twist.
    My buddy runs those in his 2012 and they twist, but not badly. But his also uses the original Pentastar filter, which is slightly different.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Hookeye; 10-22-2020 at 18:19.

User Info Menu

Damn that was scary **** from all angles! Well wishes for everyone involved.