• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I go every year with some friends and its a great time caught over 90 small mouth between 8 of us this year.
    They offer different length trips and 7 mile is good because you can take as much time to fish as you want and you end up back at your vehicle at the rental place.
    The 14 mile trip down river has much better fishing(Bigger fish) but you have to paddle most of the time to make it before dark and there isn't much time for fishing. and then you have a ling ride back on a school bus to the rental place.
    But overall any of the trips are a good time

Cave Country Canoes on Indiana's Blue River

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    This sounds awesome and looks beautiful might take my girl down there this week. Do they do trips on weekdays?

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    They do trips on week days but i think you have to make reservations.
    All the info is on their site and they have always been very friendly.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When the water is up, the south 14 mile is excellent in a kayak, when it's down, you're walking. If the water is just right, you can surf your boat on the old broken damn north of Blue Chapel but IIRC that is south of their take out :dunno:

from americanwhitewater.org:

Put in at White Cloud (unofficial put-in) at the end of Harrison Springs Rd. Immediately after putting in, you will encounter a broken-down dam that at higher levels (above 6' on Leavenworth gauge), forms a large green wave that will entertain for hours. At that level, river left of the wave is a nice side-surfing hole that provides effortlesss 360's.

This is an excellent park and surf spot, however, be mindful of the NO TRESPASSING signs on river left when going back up. At moderate levels (5-7'), a center rock allows you to place your boat above the rapid and attain back up to the put-in.

If you continue on down to the Chapel, you will find easy shoals, perfect for beginner kayaking trips and canoe trips. One S-turn rapid about 2/3 of the way down usually harbors wood on river right due to an overhanging tree. Be on the lookout for strainers at all times.

The last rapid before the Chapel is a rocky, shallow affair that may cause swims with beginners, however, a large rock on river right that caused most upsets has moved downstream recently after some high water.

Last edited:

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    You can get on NOAA weather site and check river levels.
    Search for White cloud on blue river and as long as your between 2.4 and 4 foot it should be good canoeing with out walking or the water being to swift or you can call ahead and get river info from cave country canoes as well

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I normally head down there every chance I can.I have my own kayak and normally go with my step dad who has his own kayak to that way we can just leave 1 vehicle at the rothrock take out point and not have to pay there $16 hauling fee.The trip from rothrock down past the state forest is a better trip imho.Not nearly as crowded but it's a long haul if you go all the way to the last take out point before the Ohio river junction since the water likes to back flow some the last 2 or 3 miles..You definately don't want to go down the 14 mile trip if the water is down.
    I stay at the blue river campground.Guy owns a big field along the river and has it set up really nice.It's only $16 for 2 adults and 2 kids unless it's a holidy weekend then it is $10 a person.He keeps it very clean and each site has a fire pit and he will bring down 2 trash cans for you to use and will also sell you firewood if you didn't bring any.I will be down there next weekend from Friday til Sunday.On Saturday evening he will have live bands starting at 7pm.His campsite is a lil rough to find if you haven't been down there before but if you can find the train track bridge that goes over Blue river his campgrounds is right below it...Cave Country also has there own campsite but it is only for people that buy the 2 day package and no alcohol is allowed.Cave Country also has a military discount if you have valid Mil ID.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Recently there were some people shooting on the banks of the river (pistol & rifle), perhaps just ten or fifteen feet from the water. Naturally this was unpleasant for those boating peacefully in the river. No, this wasn't a shooting range.

Top Bottom