• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    A friend of mine who raises vegetables for the summer markets shared an experience with me. He lives down in Decatur County and he had planted a plot of strawberries. He used an organic fertilizer (fish oil and molasses) and covered them with plastic. He found that coyotes were breaking through the plastic to dig in the fertilized dirt and sought a way to dissuade them. He bought 6 bars of Irish Spring soap from Dollar General thinking that by placing them there the coyotes would be repelled by the scent of the soap. Instead, the coyotes were attracted to the soap and drug off the bars. He found that his bloodhound and some other dogs seemed to like the smell and flavor of the soap also. Has anyone else found 'yotes to be attracted to odd scents?

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    They have real good sniffers. They were looking for the fish smell.
    I wouldn't wanna mess with one that had soap suds around its mouth. Might mean something else entirely.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    K-9's do strange things when confronted with situations they don't understand. I see it on a regular basis with my beagle, she can't resist rolling in random smells. Example: While basting ribs on the grill with a viniger/honey mixture I flopped the brush dry out in the yard. Five minutes later, the beagle is belly-up, grinding her odor over top the strange smell she encountered.

I have the same theory about this coyote I called and killed several years ago in NW Indiana. As three coyotes came across the field I could tell this one was different... turns out he was BLUE. I'm guessing maybe this came from the marker-foam used on big telescoping sprayer booms. He sure got it in there good.

CutlerBlue.jpg

CutlerBlue5.jpg

CutlerBlue4.jpg

jmichaelj4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    weird
    A friend of mine who raises vegetables for the summer markets shared an experience with me. He lives down in Decatur County and he had planted a plot of strawberries. He used an organic fertilizer (fish oil and molasses) and covered them with plastic. He found that coyotes were breaking through the plastic to dig in the fertilized dirt and sought a way to dissuade them. He bought 6 bars of Irish Spring soap from Dollar General thinking that by placing them there the coyotes would be repelled by the scent of the soap. Instead, the coyotes were attracted to the soap and drug off the bars. He found that his bloodhound and some other dogs seemed to like the smell and flavor of the soap also. Has anyone else found 'yotes to be attracted to odd scents?

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    There might be something in it like animal fat.? Some animals eat mouse poison because they put p-nut butter in it to attract mice.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    The soap will repel deer from plants and fruit trees, but Yotes will take the soap. They are attracted to the fat ingredients. One way to keep them from hauling it off is to put it in a sock or stocking and tie it on a limb.

Top Bottom