• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    does anyone have a pdf. file for link to a site that has a map of the whole area and all the lakes. I thought it used to be in the IN DNR site, but I couldn't find it.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    What are these "strip pits" of which you speak?

Just guessing - something left over from mining that makes a good place to shoot?

Details, please.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    antsi,

Back before the mine reclamation laws, sufrace mines were just open holes with the tailings piled up to one side. Now the compnaies have to fill everything back in and leave the area as it was before the mining operation.

So from the Linton area up through Terre Haute you have these old strip pits that are now filled with (often acidic) water surrounded by mounds of mine waste. Usually covered over now by pine groves.

Yes they would make great backstops for short range work, the ones I have seen don't have long range available.

Hawkhavn

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I used to have one but have since lost it. I fish a lot at the Greene-Sullivan Dugger Unit located off of Highway 54 between Dugger and Sullivan. I rarely trek into the actual Greene-Sullivan State Forest. I also fish a couple of the lakes in Minnehaha. You should be able to obtain a map of it (Minnehaha) at the station located on the same highway but closer to Sullivan.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    gssf3.jpg

Indiana:Greene-Sullivan State Park Map

Last edited:

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I am planning on fishing the strip pits this weekend with my son and we have never been there. I know no one wants to give up their hotspots but I have no clue where to fish there.. there are so many places to launch.
    Would you mind giving me a few pointers? A couple suggested sites would be great.
    What type of fishing would be hot there now? PM me if you want to keep it quiet.

nrbq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    knox county
    I am planning on fishing the strip pits this weekend with my son and we have never been there. I know no one wants to give up their hotspots but I have no clue where to fish there.. there are so many places to launch.
    Would you mind giving me a few pointers? A couple suggested sites would be great.
    What type of fishing would be hot there now? PM me if you want to keep it quiet.
    reservoir 26-wampler-airline lake for trout

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I used to fish some of these pits quite a bit. I think it used to be electric motor only. There are not many places to shore fish but a few are available. I think they used to stock rainbow trout in Airline pit. We had some luck in Wampler if I remember correctly. I have some maps with notes on them at home, I'll try to remember to grab a look at them.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Bass lake was stocked with musky in the fall of 1997 I read. They were expected to reach harvestable size (36") back in 2000. So if any of them are reproducing they may still be there.

I think reservoir 26 was another one we had luck on.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    my late father took us to those when he had visitation rights one weekend way back in 72 or 73. Haven't been there since, but I had a great time down there.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Every time I hear about strip pits in Greene-Sullivan county areas, I immediately think someone is hiding a body or ditching a stolen car?

Top Bottom