• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I live in Carmel, and we have had reports of coyotes in the area, although I have not seen any. Yesterday, found a dead rabbit in the yard - full grown, with a big bite taken out of its' belly. Based on the size/shape of the bite, the only things I can attribute it to would be a coyote or my dog. My dog spends very little unsupervised time outside, and we didn't see it do anything. The yard is enclosed on 3 sides by a 5-foot chain link fence and by a 6-foot privacy fence on the other, and there are no gaps that anything more than a rabbit or squirrel could fit through.

Can a coyote (or similar predator) climb or jump a 5-foot chain link or 6-foot privacy fence?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yes, coyotes can jump a 5 foot chain link fence.

My parents lived in AZ for a while and there would be reports of people losing their small dogs because coyotes would get over the 5 brick walls, kill the small dog and take it back over the wall. People thought that they could just leave their pets out unsupervised for long periods of times. And this was in residential areas.

It seems odd that the rabbit only had a bite out of it's stomach. I would think that the coyote would have eaten everything. Something must have scared it off quickly or something else got the rabbit.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My guess is raptor of some sort that didn't get a chance to finish off the rabbit. Maybe an owl.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Coons and rabbits are very skilled in finding a way into a fenced area. Coons climb fences and can kill rabbits and owls are also able to take a rabbit. Everyone, predator wise, loves a free rabbit or chicken dinner.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It was a well known fact that I was the local terror on critters.
    Used a bow too (mom's place bow only).
    Red stuff shows up good on the snow (when trapping all those that got fat on the garden earlier in the year). Didn't need a trail going through my fence.
    Besides, fences tear the hell out of an arrow ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom