• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'm right handed, bait I use left handed baitcasters. I was raised on open face spinning reels, casting with my right arm and winding with my left hand. When I was getting my first baitcaster about 30 years ago, there were very few left handed models to choose from. it made little sense to me. :dunno: I just seemed natural to have my spinning and baitcasting reels both set up the same way, cast with right arm and wind with left hand. :D Instead casting with right hand and then switch the reel to my left hand to reel with my right.

But 30 years later, it seems I'm still in the minority. From pros to ametuers, it seems most right handers have their spinning reels with the handle on the left, but use right handed baitcasters. :dunno: :dunno:

What say you INGO, what is your preferred set up?

:ingo:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm right handed and use left hand retrieve bait casting reels. Years ago when I was fishing the Federation series, people would always question me. Like the OP, I was raised on spinning reels with a left hand retrieve and it just felt natural going that way with a bait caster. You never hand to switch hands after the cast, and when you are flipping and get that instant bite as the lure hits the water, you can set the hook instantly without have to switch your rod from your right hand to your left hand. It also helps when throwing surface baits like a buzz bait....getting it up and moving quicker. :twocents:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'm right handed and use left hand retrieve bait casting reels. Years ago when I was fishing the Federation series, people would always question me. Like the OP, I was raised on spinning reels with a left hand retrieve and it just felt natural going that way with a bait caster. You never hand to switch hands after the cast, and when you are flipping and get that instant bite as the lure hits the water, you can set the hook instantly without have to switch your rod from your right hand to your left hand. It also helps when throwing surface baits like a buzz bait....getting it up and moving quicker. :twocents:

My Brother!!!!!! :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

That makes 3 of us. A left handed coworker has his spinning snd bc reels with handles on the right side. ;)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Brad. There is actually a term for that style of fishing that has it's roots from somewhere deep in the history of fishing.
    The WRONG way :)::)::):

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm right handed, bait I use left handed baitcasters. I was raised on open face spinning reels, casting with my right arm and winding with my left hand. When I was getting my first baitcaster about 30 years ago, there were very few left handed models to choose from. it made little sense to me. :dunno: I just seemed natural to have my spinning and baitcasting reels both set up the same way, cast with right arm and wind with left hand. :D Instead casting with right hand and then switch the reel to my left hand to reel with my right.

But 30 years later, it seems I'm still in the minority. From pros to ametuers, it seems most right handers have their spinning reels with the handle on the left, but use right handed baitcasters. :dunno: :dunno:

What say you INGO, what is your preferred set up?

:ingo:
    Spoiled punk ass kids. There was a LOT more lefty reels in 84 then there were in 74. Whiny punk.

Yeah I am in the 01 club.

In 74 I made the decision that I needed to go straight from a Garcia Abumatic to a bait caster if I was going to catch a world record Pike. I am two handed but had gone right with some things because my Dad was right. It turns out he was a natural lefty and the Nuns beat him into submission and using his right. IMHO information like that needs to be shared long before your kids are 18, but I digress. I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor at the BX trying both the right and left models, Garcia 5000 and 5001, this was a major purchase for me. In 1974 $55 was a lot of money. In the end it was 5001c for me. Thank God too.

Back in the 80's who was the Pro BASS fisherman who use to talk about forcing himself to learn to fish left so he didn't have the down time of switching hands? He had his own show when I lived in Georgia.......Orlando Wilson. He thought that feat of skill was a major win for him. I would just laugh when he would say it.

I am still looking for a left handed rod though. Very hard to find those.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I do it the traditional way. It is odd when you think about it, using the bait caster right handed and the spinning reels left handed.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I've wanted to switch to a left-hand retrieve baitcaster, but haven't looked very hard at what's available.

Nipprdog and Bradsknives, what models do you use?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am with the OP on this. Right handed cast with right hand and set hook with right hand. Always have always will.

i like the spinners better but yes there are times I use bait casters. I even do my Carolina rigs with spinner rigs.

To me the casting and switching is not a big deal it is setting the hook.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've wanted to switch to a left-hand retrieve baitcaster, but haven't looked very hard at what's available.

Nipprdog and Bradsknives, what models do you use?

My all time favorite was the Daiwa PS2L-5B. It has a 5.2 to 1 retrieve ratio and the drag system was very smooth. I probably have a dozen of these on rods still today. I also used a few Quantum left hand models and a few Abu Gracia 5000 series models that were available in a left hand retrieve. I doubt that some of these models even exist today, because this was back in the early to mid 90's when I was fishing 15 to 20 tournaments a year.

87bluejay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Fishers, IN

Same setup for me....

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I seem to be in the minority. I set up my spinning reels for right hand retrieve, cast with my right, and use right handed bait casters.
    I can't say that I ever missed setting a hook while I was switching hands, perhaps I have and didn't know it. But I've never been a competition fisherman, the 10 milliseconds haven't been crucial.

Top Bottom