• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    I heard that you guys have a restrictions on case length for cartridges for hunting deer in your state. I was wondering what was the thought behind this?
    We can use pretty much anything but a .22 here in maine.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    There WAS NO THOUGHT behind it really. We can hunt squirrel with a 50BMG but we are restricted on deer cartridges. Go figure.

The DNR will tell you it because Indiana is flat and bullets will travel too far and all that nonsense.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    I was just curious if someone was worried about to many deer being killed or some hunter shooting through a house or something. So is it that some misinformed legislative type
    pushed through another useless regulation ?

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I was just curious if someone was worried about to many deer being killed or some hunter shooting through a house or something. So is it that some misinformed legislative type
    pushed through another useless regulation ?

The biggest argument now is by ill-informed shooters that argue that someone might take a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag, shoot at a deer on a ridge top at a perfect 45 degree angle above them, where they can actually see the deer from the valley floor through the trees and nothing behind it, so that it arcs out at the perfect vector and kills someone three miles away. This has all been documented happening by a friend of a friend's cousin who heard about it on a post on Facebook. Did I pretty much sum up the arguement?
    In truth, a 7mm Rem Mag sited in at 200 yards shooting at a deer at 300 yards pounds dirt at roughly 450-500 yards.
    The other argument is that someone is going to have a 30 to 100-round drum magazine and practice spray and pray on entire herds of deer in an urban setting, ignoring the laws about hunting near dwellings and schools zones. This also could be solved by a simple rule to limit magazine to 5-rounds like most other high-powered cartridge states. Did I forget anything?
    Oh yes, crossbows are evil and will wipe out the deer herds by making hunting so easy anyone can do it.
    Wait, I forgot the "I can kill hundreds of deer with a shotgun or pistol so I don't see why you need something different. You just need to be a better hunter because we all know that everyone hunts in identical terrain under the same conditions." Well, I can get to work in a 1978 Chevy Vega so I don't see why you need anything different than that.:ranton:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Bangor
    So what if there was an option to shoot a 35 caliber bullet, say around 180 to 200 grains at around 2400 fps, that would comply with the restrictions you guys have. And what if there was an AR15 upper and a bolt rifle that could should said cartridge ... would there be any interest ?

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    So what if there was an option to shoot a 35 caliber bullet, say around 180 to 200 grains at around 2400 fps, that would comply with the restrictions you guys have. And what if there was an AR15 upper and a bolt rifle that could should said cartridge ... would there be any interest ?
    thats called a 358 hoosier. there around here kinda dumb laws around here.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Hmmm...have note heard of 358 hoosier. Do you have any specs on this bullet? what is used for a case, how much powder, and which kind etc?
    The .358 Hoosier is a wildcat version of the .358 Winchester that is shortened to conform with the 1.8" case length. It is based on a necked up .308.
    If you were to do a search on this site you would find a great deal of information on this round. It will not work in an AR-15 platform but the .358 WSSM will. You can also find info on that round by doing a search on this site. Trust me, if there's a way to work within the restrictions of the law, someone on this board is doing it and posting their results, including shortening the .35 Remington.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I bet some AR10's are now found in .358 Hoosier.

BTW, gun/sports writers make money off of articles in magazines............ that get their money from advertisement, which usually comes from those offering new products.
    So................be wary of sportswriters and their knowing of everything.....................they have an agenda ;)

Top Bottom