• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    A buddy and me went to the Low-gap trail to backpack this weekend. Weather could not have been better. We hit the trail at 10:00Am with our packs and had every intention of stopping to camp, but for some reason we just kept walking, no matter how much pain we were in.

We ended up doing the whole 10.5 miles in about 6.5 hours. We are slow and out of shape, but at least we try and we did it with full packs and a stop to filter water out of a stream. No one that passed us had the kind of gear we had, so I don't feel too bad about my 1.6mile/hr performance, especially since it's fairly rugged in spots and we took LOTS of breaks. Didn't see too many people, but the ones we did were friendly.

I had my Sig P238 holstered on my left pack harness in full view, mainly covered by kydex. No one seemed weird-ed out or concerned. You can carry handguns there and the hikers seemed used to it. I saw one gentleman with a really nice ESSE knife on his belt. We commented on each other's hardware. :)

I'd highly recommend this trail as a good place for novice backpackers to start. It's completely doable in one day for someone who is out of shape, but still presents challenges. Much better place to start instead of the KT. Tons of camping options in one part of the loop. If you walk too far, like we did, then you get stuck walking back to your car with zero camping options.

We did not want to risk getting covered in ticks marching through the undergrowth looking for a suitable camp site. (we're hammock campers.) We stuck to the trail pretty much the whole time. Ticks were in FULL FORCE! cover your goods and spray the bu-jesus out of everything you own. Every time i sat down on a seemingly clean log, withing seconds i had 4-5 ticks crawling up my pants trying to find a place to drain me. We saw one idiot running on the trail with no shirt on.

There are plenty of places to get water in the lower sections. The water we filtered out of the creek was crystal clear and tasted great. (sawyer mini squeeze)

The low gap also has a very cool rock formation called "shelter rock" you need to see it before you die. It's a nice place for a photo opp. and to eat a granola bar.

Lower sections of the trail would be down right impassible after a strong rain or during the wetter months. There are many creek crossings and part of the first section basically has you walking in a creek bed. Plan on wet feet if you go after a good rain.

I give this trail an A+ for maintenance and beauty. I give cell phone coverage on this trail a B. AT&T had better coverage with only a few dead spots. Verizon was dead most of the trail. Zero 4G coverage. We had two different modern smartphones and both phone GPS chips seemed to pickup and track surprisingly well. (Nokia Windows 8 phone, and a Samsung S4) Don't judge me for taking in technology. I know it can't be relied upon, but it can save lives, and I'm all for having as many life saving options as possible. The trail is extremely well marked with Diamond blazes. You'd really have to not be paying attention to get lots on that trail.

Now get out there!

I plan to do a few more this summer, as soon as I recover from this one. I'll update as I explore. Loving this whole backpacking thing...

Photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8WkiLDT-3nNaklMUFFmMldMdG8&usp=sharing

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah it's a nice trail, it'd be better if people would quit leaving their trash in the back country though. Every time I'm there I see so much litter on a lot of campsites. SRY, venting.
    We saw one idiot running on the trail with no shirt on.
    A couple reasons for doing this. 1. Temperature control and 2. just like wearing shorts, no ticks make it home because you can easily feel them and see them pretty quickly. Glad you had a good time!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks for this review. The wife and I are planning a similar distance hike in the Great Smoky Mtns. Nat'l. Park (Going up to LeConte, just not sure which trail, likely the one that is longer, but not as steep). I considered the Low Gap Trail, but the fire tower and Sycamore Trail looked nice so we drove down to the Hoosier National Forest. Unfortunately our trip didn't turn out that great there. The map provided by the forest service is about as worthless as anything. They show one road through the Charles C. Deam Wilderness, when there are actually many others. I should have purchased a better National Geographic map but didn't. There were a ton of folks at the parking area for the Grubb Ridge Loop but after we passed that looking for the tower parking area that is when we spent about an hour "lost" (we really weren't lost, we just couldn't find the tower parking area I knew I saw on sat images). Thankfully we ended up going to Brown Co. State Park/Nashville. Since we had good cell coverage, ended up discovering that some of the red dashed lines for hiking/horse trails in the CD Wilderness are actually roads as well, but they don't label them as such. Thanks USFS, :rolleyes:. We hiked trail #10 about half way, too muddy to continue, so we got in somewhere between 1.5-2.0 miles. Not what I was hoping for, but what we had available.

We are both in shape but I learned a few things. I've always liked external frame bags, but you will deal with added weight. I also am going to need to use both hiking poles because that will force me to stand straight up, because only using one pole allowed me to bend over when going up hill. I will need to work on that. After getting home, I discovered that if I walk upright, the pack actually will hang back a bit, which will help with getting too hot on the back. Wife will have to take a small day pack for the rain jackets and like some extra water. I was pretty much hiking with a full pack and was sweating pretty good. Heat and I don't mix well. Our non-cotton clothing worked well, as did the hiking poles we had. The bugs were somewhat a nuisance, but no tics that we know of. One thing I discovered prior to leaving is that I need to put up a cloths line. Cloths need to be sprayed outdoors and I really had no good place to do that. Will look for something I can rig up as a cloths line so I can spray clothing prior to any future trips. With your tic comment, might invest in a cheap nylon blanket and spray it as well. Wife could add that to her pack and we could use it to sit on, hopefully it will kill off any tics that jump on. I really wish the temps would cool, but at this point I'm likely looking at warm to hot temps plus humidity from here on out. I might end up getting a small, lightweight pack for just water for shorter Indiana hikes and worry about carrying food for special hikes like up to LeConte, Glacier NP, etc. (we would like to hike to a point, eat lunch up on a mountain, then hike back down).

I will definitely check out the Low Gap but also would like to get out to Shades SP (and possibly Turkey Run) as well.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Thanks for the great review. You lost me at ticks though. Been awhile since I've done anything other than trail walk with dog, or morel hunting. Love them woods.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I took the family out for a few hours on Sunday. We started the low Gap Trail at the south parking area on Low Gap road and took the trail for a couple miles. My sons are young so there was a lot of exploring time, especially in the creek.

We too noticed a lot trash at some camping areas.

We will be back a lot this summer.

We had two different modern smartphones and both phone GPS chips seemed to pickup and track surprisingly well. (Nokia Windows 8 phone, and a Samsung S4) Don't judge me for taking in technology.

While I only had some 3G coverage from Sprint with my S4 phone, the GPS worked pretty and I tracked my route using US Topo Maps free app. I just wanted to see how well it worked as we still had 2 compasses and printed maps. I do recommend the US Topo Maps as a free app. Worked well for this short adventure.

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I took the family out for a few hours on Sunday. We started the low Gap Trail at the south parking area on Low Gap road and took the trail for a couple miles. My sons are young so there was a lot of exploring time, especially in the creek.

Lol. I was there Sunday too, it was a really good day for being in the woods.

Top Bottom