• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Where is the closest (but still good) place to go black bear hunting? I'd like to go out west or Canada or somewhere more interesting but in the interest of saving time and travel.... Bow and/or rifle.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wisconsin has very good black bear hunting but you have to put in for the draw in December for the following year. PA has good black bear hunting. it is a short 3 day hunting season on the Sat, Mon, Tues before Thanksgiving

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    UP of Michigan, I'm pretty sure there is even some guided hunts up that way. About as close to Canada as you can get without actually crossing the border.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    Actually there are bears south of the bridge in Michigan. The bear hunting units go about as far south as Mt Pleasant.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I put in for a point license in MI today.... as I do every year.

I started doing this a while back, but was not sure how long. I checked my total, and it looks like I am up to 7 points. It looks like I've got enough to get in just about anywhere except the Drummond Island or Baldwin Units. Those areas would require me to just about double my points or more.

So, it looks like it might be getting time to start doing some planning for a hunt... maybe next year.

Has anyone here ever been in a draw for a MI bear hunt? Any advice or recommendations for better bear management units to put in for?

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I go to PA to hunt deer every year. I know someone up there so it's free stay I know they have a black bear season and they're one of the cheapest out of state licences. It's about a 5 hour drive for me. IDK how good the hunting for black bear is.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Black bear

I hunted with an outfitter in Ontario, Canada a couple of years ago. 10 in our group and we all killed bears except two and they had chances and blew it. The guy is always booked up at least a year in advance. He has had a booth at the Indy Deer and Turkey Expo for several years. The hunt was for one full week. I think our cost to the outfitter was about $1,800 and it provided us a place to stay, baited sites, and help tracking and getting the bear out. The bear license was on top of that. It was a day and a half drive to get to camp and, of course, we had to have a valid passport to cross the border. It was up to us to provide our own meals. Some of the group hunted with rifles and others bow hunted. I took my bow and also packed a rifle as a backup. Ended up killing my bear with a bow the second evening on stand. Once we killed a bear some of us did some walleye and pike fishing. Boat, motor, and gas was provided for a max of two days. I think the total was about $2,500 all in by the time we paid for gas, stayed in a motel on the way up, etc. However, half of the outfitter fee was due as a deposit and the remaining half when we got to camp so it enables you to save up during the year leading up to the hunt.

Average bear size was about 200-250# but there were some 400 pounders taken every year. The outfitter had dozens of baited sites with trail cameras over each one. He assigned hunters to specific stands based on whether they were a gun or bow hunter. Hunting was done from tree stands (built from lumber) or ground blinds for those who didn’t like to, or couldn’t, get off the ground. This was my second bear hunt in Canada. The first was in Quebec several years ago and was a similar hunt but not nearly as well run. I’ve heard of some Canada hunts that were pretty much a rip off, at a higher cost, but I would not hesitate to recommend this outfitter.

If you would like the name of the outfitter pm me. This is what a 300# bear looks like.

Attachments

• 55DF5E23-3F4C-491B-A968-65AEA9166204.jpg
      55DF5E23-3F4C-491B-A968-65AEA9166204.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 9
    • A1C60AB9-CB49-4758-803E-0B4D947AA9C3.jpg
      A1C60AB9-CB49-4758-803E-0B4D947AA9C3.jpg
      142.9 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I hunted with an outfitter in Ontario, Canada a couple of years ago. 10 in our group and we all killed bears except two and they had chances and blew it. The guy is always booked up at least a year in advance. He has had a booth at the Indy Deer and Turkey Expo for several years. I think our cost to the outfitter was about $1,800 and it provided us a place to stay, baited sites, and help tracking and getting the bear out. The bear license was on top of that. It was a day and a half drive to get to camp and, of course, we had to have a valid passport to cross the border. It was up to us to provide our own meals. Some of the group hunted with rifles and others bow hunted. I took both but ended up killing my bear with a bow the second evening on stand. Once we killed a bear some of us did some walleye and pike fishing. Boat, motor, and gas was provided for a max of two days. I think the total was about $2,500 all in by the time we paid for gas, stayed in a motel on the way up, etc. However, half of the outfitter fee was due as a deposit and the remaining half when we got to camp so it enables you to save up during the year leading up to the hunt.

Average bear size was about 200-250# but there were some 400 pounders taken every year. The outfitter had dozens of baited sites with trail cameras over each one. He assigned hunters to specific stands based on whether they were a gun or bow hunter. Hunting was done from tree stands (built from lumber) or ground blinds for those who didnÂ’t like to, or couldnÂ’t, get off the ground. This was my second bear hunt in Canada. The first was in Quebec several years ago and was a similar hunt but not nearly as well run. IÂ’ve heard of some Canada hunts that were pretty much a rip off, at a higher cost, but I would not hesitate to recommend this outfitter.

If you would like the name of the outfitter pm me.

Top Bottom