• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Over the past few years, my vision has changed and I am having trouble with using my fiber optic sights on my 870.
    So I am looking for recommendations, pros and cons. And, personal experience preferred. Right now, I am leaning toward a low power scope in the lower price range. Thank you in advance.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have a Burris fixed 2.75 power long eye relief scope on my turkey/slug gun. It works very well. With low magnification and long eye relief, it is very fast on target. I'm color blind and can't see the dang red dot for anything. Especially in a green woods.

Dirty Steve

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I use a red dot and would probably not have gotten my first turkey without it two years ago. That gobbler came in on the quiet and caught us off guard, I had to shoot with the butt pad on my bicep as I couldn't get turned around without him seeing me. I had no cheek weld and doubt I could have gotten a decent look through a magnified optic but the red dot worked great.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I've got Tru-glo red/green dots on all my turkey guns. I've also had a few scope's on them from time to time.
    I like the 30mm Tru-glo's better than the scope's! I've never had an issue with dead batteries or any trouble with them holding zero in the center of the pattern's.
    Get yourself a Tru-Glo and you'll be good to go!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Red dot.

@Dirty, the green dots were originally designed for folks who we fully, or partially color blind.

I have a Vortex Strikefire on an AR and can't see either the red or green dot on a green background. I can see both colors at night and on a white or black background, but neither during the day on a green background. I know,...sucks to be me.

Dirty Steve

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Aimtech makes a mount that clamps on the vent rib, it's called the Rib Rider. It allows mounting your red dot "scout" style. That lets you look through and around your red dot with both eyes open so you don't lose the ability to judge distance. Aids in snap shooting too. As for batteries failing, put a new one in when season starts. I keep mine off till I'm set up on a bird and have never had one fail in 15 years of use. Just my opinion, but don't cut corners on scope quality, that 3 1/2 incher will shake a cheap one apart pretty quick.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One could use a fwd mount and a pistol scope.
    The older cantilever Remington barrels were so designed (rail attached to base that would accept the rail's rings).
    If I can find one at a good price (Remchoke) I'll probably go that route, w 2X Leupold.

But for now my 1100 SP and 870 Supermags just run bead/vent rib and I'm OK.

Eyeballs getting older by the minute though............

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    The problem with long eye relief pistol scopes is you will loose a lot of field of view-you will have less than half of a comparable power rifle scope.I use open sights,but my wife has a Bushnell 1.5 x 6 Trophy with circle x recticle that has a great fov.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Many of the long eye relief shotgun scopes suck with field of view (compared to rifle scopes).
    Remember the optical triangle. I'd rather run a regular rifle scope than something with crazy eye relief (sold as rifle scope).

FWIW the Leupold 2X EER is 21 ft at 100 yards.
    The Bushnell you mention is 17.5 at 6X.

Yeah at lower power you get way more. But with the 2X pistol scope you'll never have it at the wrong power.

Nor will you ever get brow bit.

And it doesn't require some funky mount that may bash your knuckle (Aimtech clamshell receiver style).
    If mounting a rifle scope to a shotgun I'd D&T the receiver (have).

BTW I don't bring my gun up and look for game with my scope. Many do.
    Instead, I have always looked at my target and brought my gun up so that the gun's sights come into my line of sight.

FOV isn't a biggie that way, esp on turkeys. Gun fit is though.

Do think pistol scopes on pistols to be a PITA, but on a properly fitting rifle/shotgun...........much better.
    It's the same thing as a scout scope.....folks seem to be warming up to the concept.

I think the big issue might be using low power. Some folks might not like running just a 2X.
    Hell, I'd like to find an old Burris 1X.

Standard duplex reticle. Hate all that other junk in there ;)

Reddots are good, great for kids so they don't get whacked if they make a mistake and crawl the stock. But those Aimpoints are not cheap. That's the only reddot I'd consider.

FWIW the newer style cantilever barrel for Remingtons IMHO place the scope way too high. Even for use with factory high comb buttstock. Haven't messed with one for yrs, but I bet the old style would get the pistol scope lower (better).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Must admit, the lighter the better. Lugged my 1100 around some big ground 1st day. 2nd day took the 870.

3rd day..................took the 870 :)

For now I'll run my rigs "neked".

How long I dunno.

Top Bottom