• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Anyone hunted feral hogs here the state? Friend of mine told me he knows a guy in the Bedford area that says he's got quite a few on his property. I can't say I've ever came across places in the woods or in fields where I could say "hogs did this". Any thoughts or experiences?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't had the opportunity, and I definitely hope the state doesn't become widely infested with these pests.
    With that said, as long as the guy with the feral hog problem agrees to it, and as long as everyone is certain that these are legitimately feral animals and not just some recent escapees from someone on adjoining property who needs them returned to his pens, you can legally hunt them all you want, whenever you want, as many as you want.
    They're classified as pests, so there's no such thing as hunting regulations for them.
    My only advice would be to choose calibers sufficient for bringing them down (are these 300lb+ porkers or just little squealers?), such as .44 Magnum, .45 Colt (with stiff loads in Ruger Blackhawk or other extra strong revolvers), .454 Casull, or similarly powerful handguns.
    Rifles will open up quite a few more options: .308, .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7x57mm Mauser, and other similar cartridges.
    With either handguns or rifles, don't use fragile, varmint, or other fragmenting bullets; but instead, use decent controlled expansion bullets in rifles or handguns, or hard cast semi-wadcutters in handguns.
    Hogs are famously rugged critters, so you many need to penetrate gristle shields, heavy bone, and muscle.
    If you get to hunt them, pics are a requirement.
    ;)

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have been very surprised that there has not been several let loose from people just wanting something else to hunt or being ticked off at there neighbors or because of the amount of property that is now leased. In other words just for spite.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've been doing some research on hogs in Indiana. I've found that there's not a real large population here in the state. Most of the highest concentrated areas are in the southern part of the state. Listed counties that are noted are Washington, Jackson, Warrick to name a few. They said that most of them are located in very dense country side parts of the counties. I was just curious to see if anyone else has seen or tried hunting them in this state or if it's even worth trying based on low population. Then you'd likely need to front quite a bit more cash for the appropriate gear to effectively hunt them. Such as night vision goggles and scope, which are not cheap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Guy from work who lives over by Borden had some pics of wild hogs some guys killed over by his hunting property. I've tried hard to have a go at it but nothing yet! I've heard there are some in the wilds of southern Jackson county but no confirmed sightings. It is really thick and hilly in there. I'll get it figured out sooner or later!

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    A woman at work who lives near Salem says she has them on her property. I would ask to hunt them, but with her reputation she is libel to be wandering around the place drunk when I was trying to hunt.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I had one on my trail cam early last year North of Burnettesville. Big piggie. Found out they had escaped from a farm couple of miles over when the fence was knocked down and not repaired. Sounded like the farmer just didn't even try to round them up. Neighbor told me there was 12 or so running around.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I came across a guy (friend of a friend) when I was in SC that hunted hogs with trained dogs and a knife. He had several nasty looking huge scars and the most disturbing look in his eyes (think C Manson).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    i have property in southern jackson county and have seen hog several times down in the sparksville area

I'm hearing they aren't yet across the White River in the Medora bottoms but are definitely West of the river, so that is consistent with what you are saying. We have land just on the other side of the river and have no sign of them yet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Definitely hogs over by Bedford. Heard rumors of hogs west of Medora. So consistent with what everyone else is saying.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    About a year ago I looked into going hog hunting. I first contacted DNR to get a idea where they might be. As usual with most government sites I didn't get a reply. So I tried calling and I was lucky and got a live person. The person from DNR told me that there really isn't to many that has been report. So I did some more digging into it and contacted some people I knew in Southern Indiana. I found out from at least 4 guys is that the hog population isn't that much and if the land owners have any they won't let out of owners hunt them. I really don't understand this because every state around Indiana has hogs and even places to hunt them. So either DNR isn't aware of how many we have or the land owners are keeping it a secret.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    My wild hogs

"About a year ago I looked into going hog hunting. I first contacted DNR to get a idea where they might be. As usual with most government sites I didn't get a reply. So I tried calling and I was lucky and got a live person. The person from DNR told me that there really isn't to many that has been report. So I did some more digging into it and contacted some people I knew in Southern Indiana. I found out from at least 4 guys is that the hog population isn't that much and if the land owners have any they won't let out of Towners hunt them. I really don't understand this because every state around Indiana has hogs and even places to hunt them. So either DNR isn't aware of how many we have or the land owners are keeping it a secret."

Cheap way to fill my freezer. Don't want to share, OR I don't want a bunch of "city Slickers" shooting up my land or my cows.

You need to know that most DNR employees still communicate by smoke signals. Have not a clue as to what is a phone. Don't believe it, read some of our antiquated hunting laws in this state. One day some idiot state legislator will make you buy a license to trap a mouse in your pantry.

I'm finally hearing the .243 will/is being approved for deer. Now if my math is correct that is only 2 one hundreths of an inch larger than a .22 LR. but more powder. (more powder means more through and through,) With which 50 years ago I took several deer. That little .22 mag hollow point just stays inside and tears up a whole lot of stuff (up close and personal, no 300 yard shots). I quit trying to understand how so many idiots can have so much power.

There is still a lot of public land in Indiana. Bait the hell out of it. They will come.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i have heard stories about them being at the battle field in grant county and i have seen tracks there too. there is a video on YT of a dead one they supposedly shot there but it is nearly unwatchable.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    About a year ago I looked into going hog hunting. I first contacted DNR to get a idea where they might be. As usual with most government sites I didn't get a reply. So I tried calling and I was lucky and got a live person. The person from DNR told me that there really isn't to many that has been report. So I did some more digging into it and contacted some people I knew in Southern Indiana. I found out from at least 4 guys is that the hog population isn't that much and if the land owners have any they won't let out of owners hunt them. I really don't understand this because every state around Indiana has hogs and even places to hunt them. So either DNR isn't aware of how many we have or the land owners are keeping it a secret.

I don't think it is an issues of land owners "keeping them to themselves" as much as not wanting a bunch of folks on their property running around and shooting stuff. We have a lot of issues with trespassing as it is, so most property owners like to be very selective with who they let on the property.

From what I hear, the feral pig population just isn't to the point it is in other states, and to where it is an epidemic that is causing a lot of crop and property damage. That could all change of course if the current population breeds unchecked for a few years. But it sounds like most of the property owners that do have hogs, are doing a decent job of keeping the population at bay.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    From what I'm gathering, pigs are a double edged sword in Indiana. Hard to hunt and kill based on lower population and can habitat in very dense environment. Plus not having any problems finding food sources making baiting almost negate. Once they populate to a size of nuisance and destruction and are baitable, then you have a hard time getting them under control again

Top Bottom