• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I don't usually in Indiana. Only if I am going on unfamiliar trails, or along the knobstone, or camping along the trail, or if it is on a day that doesn't end in y:) OWB. Usually a revolver.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Really? Two threads for this?

Dayhikes I carry normally.

Backpacking trips a little different.

If I am going ultralight and only have to worry about two legged predators then I made a pouch for my LCP that rides on one of the shoulder straps.

When I want heavier firepower such as when in grizzly country, my G20 rides in a belt holster that is threaded through the stabilizer strap of the hip belt and I have it butt end forward so I can draw it readily either handed (it's easier to draw strong hand that way regardless). Then if I need to be discreet a spare shirt or bandanna covers it easily and looks innocuous. It rides very stable there, not banging around.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Really? Two threads for this?

Dayhikes I carry normally.

Backpacking trips a little different.

If I am going ultralight and only have to worry about two legged predators then I made a pouch for my LCP that rides on one of the shoulder straps.

When I want heavier firepower such as when in grizzly country, my G20 rides in a belt holster that is threaded through the stabilizer strap of the hip belt and I have it butt end forward so I can draw it readily either handed (it's easier to draw strong hand that way regardless). Then if I need to be discreet a spare shirt or bandanna covers it easily and looks innocuous. It rides very stable there, not banging around.

Can you send me a pic of what a modified shoulder strap pouch would look like? Great idea!

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Day hiking I carry IWB. Backpacking I really only create access to it at night but of all the people I have encountered on the trail they have all been straight outdoor enthusiasts that had nothing more than respect for nature and other people. I tend to set camp alone and in the incredibly rare event that someone wandered into the back country with ill will I will not become a victim.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Can you send me a pic of what a modified shoulder strap pouch would look like? Great idea!

It's not modified, I made it. It's just a pouch that Velcroes shut and loops through the webbing over the padded part of the shoulder strap. I made one for the other side for my GPS. It's something I knocked together in a few minutes as I used to own a company that manufactures outdooes textiles.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I carry something wherever I go. Bodyguard 380 fits in the front pocket or my keltec pf9 with attached belt clip in the waist. For church I carry a shield 9mm.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I normally carry my XD 9, but since it weighs more than I want to go hiking with, I've been looking at a Kel Tec P32. Have had coyotes come in to my camp site too close for my comfort.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Or if it's small game hunting season it is a H&R single shot 20 ga. Remove 1 screw, it breaks apart in to 3 pieces, and fits in the side pocket of my pack.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I usually carry a Glock 10mm or a 1911 10mm , on my belt and if in southern Indiana I usually carry a double barrel coach gun just in case I run into one of those snakes , if they keep their distance I will keep mine, but if its too close for comfort I just shoot and move on.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    Depends on the time of the year. Summer, I usually carry a small 9mm and and extra mag. When I can ware a bigger shirt and not overheat, 45 lightweight commander and a couple extra mags.

Top Bottom