Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Carry while hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy219 View Post
    I'll go... But then again, I'll go either way.

Originally Posted by xfrostybeersx
    Hey now I'm on top of Larry!

Expert

User Info Menu

I don't usually in Indiana. Only if I am going on unfamiliar trails, or along the knobstone, or camping along the trail, or if it is on a day that doesn't end in y OWB. Usually a revolver.

User Info Menu

Really? Two threads for this?

Dayhikes I carry normally.

Backpacking trips a little different.

If I am going ultralight and only have to worry about two legged predators then I made a pouch for my LCP that rides on one of the shoulder straps.

When I want heavier firepower such as when in grizzly country, my G20 rides in a belt holster that is threaded through the stabilizer strap of the hip belt and I have it butt end forward so I can draw it readily either handed (it's easier to draw strong hand that way regardless). Then if I need to be discreet a spare shirt or bandanna covers it easily and looks innocuous. It rides very stable there, not banging around.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shibumiseeker View Post
    Really? Two threads for this?

Dayhikes I carry normally.

Backpacking trips a little different.

If I am going ultralight and only have to worry about two legged predators then I made a pouch for my LCP that rides on one of the shoulder straps.

When I want heavier firepower such as when in grizzly country, my G20 rides in a belt holster that is threaded through the stabilizer strap of the hip belt and I have it butt end forward so I can draw it readily either handed (it's easier to draw strong hand that way regardless). Then if I need to be discreet a spare shirt or bandanna covers it easily and looks innocuous. It rides very stable there, not banging around.
    Can you send me a pic of what a modified shoulder strap pouch would look like? Great idea!
    Character Counts

Marksman

User Info Menu

Day hiking I carry IWB. Backpacking I really only create access to it at night but of all the people I have encountered on the trail they have all been straight outdoor enthusiasts that had nothing more than respect for nature and other people. I tend to set camp alone and in the incredibly rare event that someone wandered into the back country with ill will I will not become a victim.
    Character Counts

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

Like this ^^. Found it to be quite comfortable and handy.

Dirty Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richwon4 View Post
    Can you send me a pic of what a modified shoulder strap pouch would look like? Great idea!
    It's not modified, I made it. It's just a pouch that Velcroes shut and loops through the webbing over the padded part of the shoulder strap. I made one for the other side for my GPS. It's something I knocked together in a few minutes as I used to own a company that manufactures outdooes textiles.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I carry something wherever I go. Bodyguard 380 fits in the front pocket or my keltec pf9 with attached belt clip in the waist. For church I carry a shield 9mm.
    "It takes a killer to kill a killer" Lt Col David Grossman

Plinker

User Info Menu

I saw on the news last night that a couple of hikers were robbed at Morgan Monroe. I carry when hiking more for the two-legged varmints than anything.

User Info Menu

I normally carry my XD 9, but since it weighs more than I want to go hiking with, I've been looking at a Kel Tec P32. Have had coyotes come in to my camp site too close for my comfort.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast