Where have all the salamanders gone? (NE Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    I remember growing up on the outskirts of Fort Wayne and finding quite a few salamanders under rocks /logs/etc. At least I called them salamanders... little 4" long black or brown smooth skinned reptiles. This would be 25 years ago... Now I can't recall seeing them in years. Anyone experience this?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The really nasty ones have all been elected to state or federal legislatures. Had to keep the skunks and weasels company dontcha know.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    They're still out there, maybe not as plentiful as they once were but my boys always find at least one when we're hiking. Rolling over logs in the woods turns one up eventually.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something else:

It's also still quite cool/cold - especially in NEI. Give it time to warm up and you'll begin to see more of them out and about.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Salamanders are amphibians, not reptiles. We have about no lizards (reptiles) in NE Indiana - maybe a stray fence lizard or two. Salamanders have already laid eggs around here, having migrated from the surrounding forests to vernal pools in various parks and wooded areas during the rains earlier this spring. They are out there, just more difficult to find. Application of pesticides to residential areas is detrimental to them, and they tend to be nocturnal anyway.

There are still plenty of spring peepers, chorus frogs and toads, if the sound coming from the local park is any indication.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I see this Newt on TV every now and again...

Newt_Approved_Headshot_400x400.jpeg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Find them on our place Grant county quite often, in the barn and found one in the basement. Have a large one that lives in the culvert under our driveway. Stuck my hand in there to clean it out and pulled a large salamander out instead.. some are almost purple with black. Keep searching.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! I'll be a little more focused this spring, maybe there are still some out there!

Top Bottom