• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got a new dog this last fall and am trying to figure out what I want to use for flea and tick prevention for her. I have used Frontline and similar products in the past with other dogs, but it seems that there are a lot more options. What are you using for your dogs and how well is it working? I am looking for treatment for a 60 lb active dog (woods and field on nearly a daily basis).

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    My dog is in the woods every day and ticks are very thick here. Frontline did fine on fleas for my dogs entire life but when we moved out here I pulled 25 ticks off him the first time he was in the woods a few hours. It didn't get any better until we Switched to vectra 3d. Keeps him tick free for 3-4 weeks. Also still no fleas.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Vectra 3D is the best in terms of dogs in the field with ticks. It is highly recommended in Wisconsin and it tends to truly last a full month. Frontline does fine but when you find a tick on your dog, time to reapply. That is usually 21 days or more but rarely a full month. We keep both on hand.

we also treat our lawn and spray the house foundation with permethrin. Setting a bug free zone near the house helps a lot for dogs and humans.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a red bone and he is always out running. He stays inside though at night and at different times during the day at least in bad weather I gave him a edible medicine and it has worked without any issues whatsoever the last couple of years... I need to try and find the package I just gave it to him a couple weeks ago.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the input. I may have to stick with frontline plus for now. I haven't had issues with it before, just looking for other easier or cheaper options.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not sure about trusting cheaper stuff but Walmart has their generic version of frontline and I noticed a $5 rebate online for it too. It was called armour something, easy to spot, it will pop up on the web page. We use Walmart web site and others due to free shipping and living in a very remote area. It may be in the stores, no clue since I rarely see one.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Where I'm at in Ohio a couple years ago the effectiveness of frontline for fleas dropped way off. Talked to my vet and he said there was some evidence of development of resistance to the frontline active ingredient. Switched to Vectra 3d and have had no problems since. City dogs so they only get exposed to ticks in the parks but so far no issues with ticks either ( they sure do try to get on me, though )

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Anyone ever experienced seizures with their dogs on flea/tick treatment? My mini aussie started having seizures a couple of years ago. The only link we could find was they went away when his flea/tick collar was removed.

FastStanley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    USA
    My dog used to like digging ground in our basement and sometimes she returned with fleas in her hair. The main thing is to notice that quickly before the fleas started laying eggs. One can use drops to get rid of fleas fast - it's very effective. But do not try drops if your dog is pregnant. We used some natural remedies when our dog waited for puppies. All of those methods to fight flea infestation are described in this article. Hope it will come in handy.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Last year I had bad flea and tick problems with my beagle pup. Tried the WM brands but didn't faze them. Now he is on Nexgard from the vet. Have found 3 ticks on him and all were dead. Guess they must bite to get the internal meds. He is also out hunting everyday. Interceptor Plus for heartworm treatment.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ivermectin is a pretty good internal flea and tick medicine, works well getting rid of internal parasites as well.

Top Bottom