• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just got back from my weekend hunting trip at Okeechobee, FL from our Hog and Gator Hunt.

We used Outwest Farms Outfitter Florida Alligator Hunt, Florida Hog hunt, Osceola Turkey Hunt

Cliff Kelly was our Guide for the 10 ft Gator and the three Hogs we harvested. My hunting partner said Cliff was the best guide he has ever had and he has hunted all over the US, Canada and Africa.

They will skin, quarter, send your meat out for processing and do great taxidermy work.

We donated the meat to a homeless shelter due to not wanting to spend an excessive amount of money to bring it back on a plane. The owner of the company did give us 10 lbs of frozen Gator meat that I carried on the plane though. I will be driving down next time so that I can bring the meat back and not have to deal with checking the gun case at the airport. Checking it wasn't a problem in South Bend or West Palm Beach other than the fact that they didn't know exactly what to do. They also put the gun case on the baggage carousel instead of bringing it to me and having me prove it was mine with my claim ticket. This was done in SB and WPB airports.

Here are a few pictures of the Hog I shot with my 7.62 X 40 and the Gator we got. The exit wound on the shots with the 125 gr Hornady ballast tip handloads had a golf ball size exit wound. My hog went about 30 feet and dropped. My partners 11 year old boy had the cleanest shot while the dogs had his hog cornered and standing still. His hog stood still for about 5 seconds after the shot then fell over as blood poured from the exit wound. The 7.62 x 40 is a hog killing machine.

We contacted a guy to take us on an hour long ride on an air boat. $100 for all four people. It was a blast and we got to see some several more gators guarding their nest and just sunning on the banks. The momma gator guarding her nest wasn't too happy with us being less than five feet away from her. She opened her mouth to show us her teeth and hissed at us. we took the hint and moved along. We had a good mix of just putting along the banks looking at gators to hearing the V-8 Chevy roar through the canals.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Looks like fun.... How much did the guide service cost you?

We had a blast. Pun intended.
    There was no charge for the guide it was built in the cost of the animals we harvested. We tipped Cliff $400 for the day. He only makes $100 from the outfitter regardless of how many hours he works. He spent seven hours with us and did an amazing job with us and making sure my partners son got a good shot on his hog.

How much do they charge just for hogs?

We paid more than the price listed on their website (see price list on the link in my first post). We booked the hunt through another outfitter that pawned us off on the Outwest Farms Outfitter. We looked them up after the hunt and realized that the broker hosed us. We will deal direct with Outwest Farms from now on. They are a Christian owned company that know what customer service is all about.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Gator had it coming. I lost a stroke golfing last time I was in Florida because my ball was closer to the gator than I was willing to get.

It's amazing how gators are just friggin everywhere in Florida except Disneyworld.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    awesome!

is 7.62x40 something new? I've never heard of it. Am I just dense and missing something? LOL

I have family down in between Orlando and Daytona. My wife's cousin "knows people" and I WILL do a "free hunt" one of these days - if we can ever get down there!

The hogs... Terrible animals for the environment. Basically aren't any rules/regs on taking them, either. If they happen to be killed from the water on a levy/dyke/dam/etc - they just let them rot. Guess not supposed to set foot on the flood control structures out of fear of unintended consequences. Not like a few human feet are going to do more than what hog hooves do anyhow. But I digress...

Good shootin'!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    awesome!

is 7.62x40 something new? I've never heard of it. Am I just dense and missing something? LOL

I have family down in between Orlando and Daytona. My wife's cousin "knows people" and I WILL do a "free hunt" one of these days - if we can ever get down there!

The hogs... Terrible animals for the environment. Basically aren't any rules/regs on taking them, either. If they happen to be killed from the water on a levy/dyke/dam/etc - they just let them rot. Guess not supposed to set foot on the flood control structures out of fear of unintended consequences. Not like a few human feet are going to do more than what hog hooves do anyhow. But I digress...

Good shootin'!

It is a fairly new wildcat round developed by Wilson Tactical. It is basically a longer version of the 300 Blackout.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Great photos! Thanks for the link and information. We were thinking about putting together a group for a Tennessee hog hunt, but this place looks like a great deal.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    They also have a deal for $500 for two day lodging and two hogs. The skinning and quartering for $20 is a deal as well.

If you are all about the hunting and the atmosphere that goes with it then I would say the hunt and lodge package would be the way to go.

If it is more about a family vacation type get away you could leave the family in West Palm and drive the little over an hour drive to Okeechobee and get your hogs. They will skin and quarter them, then you are headed back to West Palm to meet up with the family.

Top Bottom