• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Is it legal? Everything I find online, seems to say it is. Unless I'm reading something wrong. The only stipulation I see is that one CAN NOT use FMJ ammo. Here is the exact quote from the DNR website...

"Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder."

The 7.62x39 has a bullet diameter of .310, and the case length is around 1.58. On top of that, the barrel is 10" long. So am I missing something here? I've never seen someone use one to hunt yet. I'm more confident accuracy-wise with it than I am with a shotgun, So I'm really considering this. Any help is much appreciated.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You are legal to use it. Just be prepared for some very weird looks from others and maybe even a visit from the GW if someone decides to call you in for using what they think is illegal. (This assumes you are hunting public ground in the eyes of others)
    I will leave the "how stupid it's legal from a handgun but not a rifle" out of this.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    After re-reading the posted rules (from last year's Hunting Guide anyway), I can't find any reason not to use the AK pistol--I'm thinking it'd probably be quite effective.

I was SO hoping I'd get to actually use my full-sized AK this year, but alas 'tis not *yet* to be. As indiucky said, please post pics and give us your thoughts on how well it worked out if/when you get to drop one or more with the AK.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I posted on this earlier and it was very educational to say the least. What started my post was that I read that ATF ruled that if a SIG brace is shoulder mounted it did not alter the intended use of the fixture and was legal.....so yes I was looking at T.C. with a SIG brace as deer legal but then was informed that the ATF flipflopped on that ruling last year and if a SIG brace is shoulder mounted it is then an SBR.

Top Bottom