• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Can anyone ID this spider for me. I've been catching then hanging around my potting shed as well as my old barn. I only see them out at night. I don't have anything to show the scale but it's roughly the size of a half dollar.

MGgi05Q.jpg

qF9NLTp.jpg

If it helps, they are always up off the ground. With the exception of one, all the ones I've seen are up on the soffit or up in the rafters. I knocked this one down to get it's photo. It ran at first but eventually spotted for a quick photo session.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    That's what I thought as well but it's larger and thinner than wolf spiders I've encountered before. Also, aside from this one, I've never seen them on the ground. They are always up high. I can sag that I've never seen one in a web which fits the narrative of a wild spider.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I believe you are correct. Everything I read leads me to believe this it's the spider I'm dealing with. Fortunately, it appears that I don't have to burn anything down.

Yep
    That type of spider is totally benign...unless you're a minnow (yes, this spider has been known to eat tiny fish) or an insect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of spiders... Anyone else having an absolute infestation of Barn Tunnel Weaver spiders? Just yesterday, I killed 10+ around the perimeter of my house and in the garage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of spiders... Anyone else having an absolute infestation of Barn Tunnel Weaver spiders? Just yesterday, I killed 10+ around the perimeter of my house and in the garage.

Those and the big web stringers. They are about the size of a nickel or larger with leg spread.....build huge webs and they are everywhere this year. I try and leave them alone until they get in the way and temps start to fall. I do not want them getting inside so......Flame on.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Not sure if they were the barn tunnel weaver or the grass/wolf spider but I killed 27 on my back porch last night. That isn't an exaggeration either. I counted them. Every time I went outside, they would start evacuating the porch. I'm sure I looked like a fool dancing like a maniac on my back porch in the middle of the night. Fortunately, I don't have any neighbors that can see my house.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'll tell you what, in the past two weeks we have noticed some big spiders around the house. Big brown ones! They look similar to the ones in this photo.

Miguel Jr. came up from the basement about a week ago and reported to Mrs. Miguel that two were battling each other on the basement wall! Mrs. Miguel settled the dispute for both of them...

Just Saturday one of the damn things was walking on our couch mid-afternoon, I assume looking for revenge. That or he wanted to see IU beat Wake Forest.

May be time to get a cat or small lizard.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I've noticed them in the house a lot here recently. They always start moving indoors this time of year but this year it seems much worse.

We have also been finding random spiders laying about dead. They are obviously dead but still get a courtesy squish.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Can anyone ID this spider for me. I've been catching then hanging around my potting shed as well as my old barn. I only see them out at night. I don't have anything to show the scale but it's roughly the size of a half dollar.

MGgi05Q.jpg

qF9NLTp.jpg

If it helps, they are always up off the ground. With the exception of one, all the ones I've seen are up on the soffit or up in the rafters. I knocked this one down to get it's photo. It ran at first but eventually spotted for a quick photo session.

THAT'S A 12 GAUGE SPIDER - FOR SURE! :nailbite:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carolina wolf spider, it's the largest and is more brown than black. Fast and they will eat anything they can catch.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Fishing spider it is. We have killed several in the house over the years. The largest we have seen measured almost 5". He got the attention of my arachnid fearing wife and daughters as it came down the side of the chimney in the living room one night. I thought someone had gained forced entry into the house with all the shrieks and screams. It met with an ill timed demise from a tennis shoe thrown at light speed. One was living near my lathe in the garage on the wall for several days recently.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fishing spider it is. We have killed several in the house over the years. The largest we have seen measured almost 5". He got the attention of my arachnid fearing wife and daughters as it came down the side of the chimney in the living room one night. I thought someone had gained forced entry into the house with all the shrieks and screams. It met with an ill timed demise from a tennis shoe thrown at light speed. One was living near my lathe in the garage on the wall for several days recently.

If my spouse saw a spider with a 5" span she would burn down the house and then Nuke the site from orbit......that is the only way to be sure.

Top Bottom