• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    If possible, I would like this to be a thread for members to share their observations on rut activity.

It seems like things are taking their own sweet time to come in. I will be on the stand Saturday and will report what I see then.

Anyone have any observations on sign or behavior to report yet?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Posters: Please add your location as well.

Owen county.
    I haven't hunted yet, but my 1 scouting trip (hike with the dog) yielded NO scrapes or rubs yet in their usual locations. I will also be out this weekend.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I was just talkin bout this with my girl last night.
    This weekend we is renting a few movies and gettin one of them rooms downtown with a hot tub. I'll letcha know how it all went down by Monday.

Did you need pictures? :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's still a bit early, the bucks are coming out of their reduced movement "lull" period though. Middle of next week I'm betting we'll see a bit more activity. My hunting partner has been out at the farm all week and between his observations and the cameras there have been a few bucks on their feet during the day but they aren't running the does yet. The bachelor groups have begun to break apart and our biggest buck has run his partner off to a different part of the farm. Another dynamic duo which were partnered up all summer have parted ways as well but they're both still hanging out in the same areas.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have seen a small group of rubs that first appeared 3 weeks ago but no scrapes. There were 2 bucks running around with each other up to 2 weeks ago but I am not sure as I have not seen them since. I wont be out this weekend but will next weekend for sure. Hoping to do a little rattling during the day to see if I can bring anything in

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Im in western Vigo county and I haven't noticed anything at all. I'll be out hunting some turkeys this weekend though and I'll report back. So far no scrape or rubs have been seen. Even checking the places they are each season I have nothing to report as of last weekend.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's not time yet. Relax, and take the tension off the string.

Between 10th to 15th of November, and you'll be right there; activity will be ramping up between now and then.

-Nate

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Is this a rub or scrape? It's about 6" tall and 2" wide or so. I'm new to all this so I'm just curious.

Did you mean to attach a picture?

Rubs are places on trees where a buck rubs the bark off with his antlers and forehead. Scrapes are places on the ground where a buck will dig up the ground a bit, usually clearing the ground completely of all leaves, grass, vegetation ,etc. You'll see small scrape marks in the soil from his hooves. The buck will leave his scent there in an attempt to both attract a mate and also mark his territory. A lot of times you'll find a small twig or branch above the scrape broken as well.

The general consensus is the bigger the tree that is rubbed, and the higher on that tree, the bigger the buck that did it, but that's not always true. Also, the bigger the scrape and the higher up the tree that he breaks off a limb, the bigger the buck, but that's not always true either.

If you hunt a lot of contested public land, some guys are known to even fake a rub or scrape. Some do it to prank other hunters, and others do it to perhaps try to mess with the dominate buck in the area and try to challenge him. Not sure if that works or not though....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Now that I completely read your description, we may have a little bit of all of what you described. I will have to get the trail cam back out that way once I convince my 12 year old that there are no coyotes stalking his bus stop.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Henry Co. Last weekend seen 2 scrapes hubcap size and several rubs (8-10) and a couple (2) on trees as big as a softball... I will be back this weekend to revisit the area if the wind is right.. I have another woods 120yrs from where I seen the scrapes and rubs but haven't been in it yet, waiting on the right wind for it..

Top Bottom