• ...and so much more!
  • blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Hey all,

I did a search and read some old threads on the subject, but I was looking for more recent information. I've got the goods I just need a spot. I'm split between paying trespass fees or just knocking on doors. Looking to go in mid July of this year. I see several people have had good luck knocking on doors but it's a long drive to chance it. Any contacts or information would be much appreciated!!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Go to the Buffalo Gap National Grass Lands By Wall South Dakota.
    In Town Wall, you go to the hardware store and buy the license. Go down the street to the BLM and buy a map. They have a master map on the counter, you high light the PD towns on the master map to yours. Shoot PD's

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I've heard that recommendation but I've heard rumors that they have been wiped out by disease and over hunting? Anyone know if that's true?

Not being mean, but the only way to "wipe out" a whistle pig town is with a nuke. And a damn big one at that. Spent 20+ years chasing those rodents in Colorado and it always seemed there were more in town when I went back. The only reason it's difficult to find a place to hunt them in Colorado is because stupid Denverites would trash the ranchers land.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Trespassing is an option?

I trust that you are smarting off... but for the uninitiated:

Trespass fees = paying someone to let you on their land.

Trespassing ANYWHERE without an agreement is likely to get you a roommate named Bubba, or a few shotgun pellets in yo' arse....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was in Laramie WY last summer. The lady in the wildlife office said all the southern PD towns have been wiped out by the plague. She said to go to Sharon basin between Laramie and Casper. Public land, no fee. It was a good suggestion.

I used a 22 magnum rifle and a 38 special revolver.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Went to WY last year planning on going again. Also talked to Wildlife office at laramie and were on our way. BLM Maps can be bought at gas stations but are generally outdated(2-tracks move) and hard to read. GPS makes it a lot easier, but little pricier. The first local we met let us hunt his land and borrow his GPS, so we just stayed there and hunted his land and BLM land. No license needed in WY for Pdogs. Plenty of BLM Land to hunt, and we had great luck with the locals.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I was in SD and WYO last years. Millions of PDs.

I would not pay anyone to shoot on their land for them because there are so many ranchers that beg you to come and shoot them. Knock doors, stop at the local restaurant at breakfast and just ask around. Just make sure to tell them you'll clean up your casings and garbage when you leave and maybe buy a breakfast or two.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I appreciate all the advice!! I will be doing the same things mentioned above, and have secured some private ground already. Is there anything special that I should pack with me that I may not think of?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm bumping this thread for updates. Looks like it was an early in the year discussion last year so SURELY some INGO'ers went last summer and can help update info.?

Thoughts?

Also, have any of you ever ran into caliber restrictions at any locations? I won't have the budget to buy an ideal kit for this and will likely use AR (.223/5.56), 10/22 and single shot .22 rifles, and pistol but it would be fun to bring my 91/30 sniper rifle. Overkill? yes. Fun? definitely!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    When I went about 10 yrs ago Dr. We took everything from 22's to a 300 win mag

LOL, OK so that confirms I'm not the first to "overkill" Prairie dogs because I happen to have a large bore rifle that is fun to shoot. I'm picturing the temporary wound cavity of a 300 min mag being about 10X the size of an average prairie dog!

Top Bottom