• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO

To add to my list of trouble I have 4 trees down now that where previously healthy accompanied by tracks leading in and out of my creek.

What is the best way to remove beaver from my property without effecting the other wildlife?

Trapping or hunting?...Im very limited on daylight time and have no traps currently...if someone in the Muncie area would be willing to remove these pests from my land I would be grateful....or at least tell me how to do it myself.

God bless
    -Shred

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Trapping is probably going to be your best bet. I have the same problem here, but luckily my beaver prefers smaller pieces of wood to gnaw on. YouTube should net you a few ideas. Those beavers can be somewhat elusive...godspeed.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Beaver dams make great habitat for other wildlife - muskrat, fish, ducks, frogs... Hard to find habitat like a good beaver pond anymore. Still, I understand you want to protect your trees.

Ask around for neighboring landowners who have friends/relatives that trap fur. It shouldn't be too hard to find a local trapper who would be glad to trap your beaver for free. If you don't get any references, trappers commonly put ads on Craigslist looking for opportunities to set traps. Beaver trapping season runs through the middle of March so you still have a couple of weeks to get after them. After that you had better contact the conservation officer if you kill one out of season.

Beaver are usually pretty easy to trap but they can get trap shy if you're not careful.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    rifle and a flashlight. We take our problem beavers at night mostly. When you hear him, and you will, flip the light and let him have it. But, chicken wire on the good trees will work great.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sorry, I don't know much about trapping them. We have a few, but we have so many trees by the creek that I don't really miss the little ones they take. Once though they stole a piece of long black corrugated tile that was draining water down the hill from our house to the creek, and incorporated it in their dam. I was rather miffed about that.

They have moved to another part of the woods and I now only see a flash of them now and then.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wrap the trees in wire mesh if you don't want to trap or kill them. Go about 3 feet high.

^ This works. Protects your trees and discourages them unless they get really persistent.

Beavers built a dam in the creek behind my house, tore it down and they just rebuilt it with my neighbors trees. Ended up hunting them at night after setting up a tree stand next to the dam.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    go to the dam bout an hour before dark an tear a large hole in it. get it leaking real good. within a few minutes after dark they will come to repair it. 30 min. is the longest ive ever had to wait. i set on the bank with 12ga with 00 buck and a flash light. do not miss, they get wise quick.

Top Bottom