• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Ok, WHAT would be eating only my ready to be picked tomatoes? The area is fenced off (I double checked) (anti-rabbit fencing over knee high) and had another one eaten today. Previous 2 were half eaten (literally, one half was eaten). Today's was everything but the white core of the fruit was eaten. One was eaten while still over 12 inches off the ground, attached to the vine. The others were found on the ground.

Squirrels did not bother them at the last house. Coons? Never seen scat for them (or a single one) around here -- even though I would expect them in the woods behind us. Grasshoppers? Those buggers have suddenly popped up around here.

Hard to make marinara is something eats everything before we get it.

Thank you

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ok, WHAT would be eating only my ready to be picked tomatoes? The area is fenced off (I double checked) (anti-rabbit fencing over knee high) and had another one eaten today. Previous 2 were half eaten (literally, one half was eaten). Today's was everything but the white core of the fruit was eaten. One was eaten while still over 12 inches off the ground, attached to the vine. The others were found on the ground.

Squirrels did not bother them at the last house. Coons? Never seen scat for them (or a single one) around here -- even though I would expect them in the woods behind us. Grasshoppers? Those buggers have suddenly popped up around here.

Hard to make marinara is something eats everything before we get it.

Thank you

Raccoons. Check to see if the vines look pulled down, and they will climb any fence.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    I vote for whistle pigs. They climb, dig, swim, eat any veggie they can find and are the primary reason the Framers created the 2nd amendment.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Do you have deer around you? My sister-in-law lives in the city and deer still make there way to her tomatoes.

Take some irish spring soap and hang it near your plants. If you have deer it will keep them away, they don't like the smell.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If there are no footprints/hoof prints, I vote for the tomato hornworm too. If it is, you will see black poop clumps on the leaves. Is the culprit stripping leaves off of the plants too?? They will strip the plants and eat the tomatoes.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    My vote is whistle pig. Terrible problem until I took control and eliminated them one by one. They actually dug their own grave in the bank adjacent to the garden. They would go down the row and sample every one until a choice one was found and then eat half of it. Look for teeth marks on the damaged ones, two above and two below.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If its tomato horned worm you'll definitely know by leaves being completely gone on branches of plant. I had, i say had cause hes dead now, same problem this year and it was a squirrel this time. No issues since his demise..lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If they are eaten from below, it's likely ether a chipmunk or terrapin turtle. They both like tomatoes a lot and are readily known to eat the bottom half of one and move on to the next.

Worms can't eat that much at a time. You'll see signs of them with small bites and droppings.

I guess it could be squirrels, but the only ones I've ever found in the garden were digging or burying nuts. I've had deer eat them on very dry years, it's not dry this year here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I can tell you what its not; my kids. I can account for them. They are too busy eating all of mine, so I feel your pain. :):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cooler temp.............go out with a light and check for hornworms about now. Take a frosty beverage too.
    Bit of a sissy, I used a paper towel to pluck them off last yr. Got most of them within 3 days (nights).
    By the end of the week I had gotten them all.
    But you gotta look pretty hard. At night it's easier because they will not be hiding. Under a leaf they are pretty tough to spot in the daylight.
    Had 6 very good plants last yr.
    Did lose a few to some critter chewing on the bottom.
    Not cat or chuck, do have a chipmunk nest nearby.
    Also have a fast neighbor cat.
    Chippy hasn't been seen for some time.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    We had a possum eating ours.Wife got him last week with 10/22,no problems since.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Squirrels got mine for the first few years. I started putting a cage of chicken wire around them. I just took 24" chicken wire and bent it into a tube about 24" in diameter and put one around each plant. It doesn't support the plants enough, but it keeps the squirrels out.

Top Bottom