Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Stupid landowner deer hunting question

This past winter, my wife and I bought some land that meets the DNR license exemption requirements. As such, this fall will be my first time hunting in Indiana.

I see the "Deer License Bundle" allows one to take up to three deer, two anterless and one either.

Are bonus anterless deer, up to the county-specific quota, included in the landowner exemption?
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

Expert

User Info Menu

Yes.

No "license" bundle needed. All you need is a book every year to know how many you can kill, with what, and when.

Fill out a "tag" on a post card with all the same information as a Tag, put it in a ziploc in your left rear pocket, and forget about the rest until you need to notch it and date it for a dead deer.

-Nate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    This past winter, my wife and I bought some land that meets the DNR license exemption requirements. As such, this fall will be my first time hunting in Indiana.

I see the "Deer License Bundle" allows one to take up to three deer, two anterless and one either.

Are bonus anterless deer, up to the county-specific quota, included in the landowner exemption?
    What he said above.

Basically being a landowner works the same as my lifetime license. I just make my own tags as instructed in the regulation book that you can easily pull up on the DNR website. It looks like Clark county has a bonus antlerless count of 8. If you bow hunt, and have a muzzle loader, you could legally take 11 antlerless deer and 1 antlered deer. Your wife could do the same. No purchase of a license is necessary. But you should read the regulations yourself to be safe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post

so you own the ground your hunting on....if so you don't need a license.....check here under "do i have to have a license to hunt on my own property"

DNR: Customer Service
    "I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

Thanks folks.

I knew I didn't need a license as a landowner...just didn't know if the bonus anterless deer quota applied to the landowner exemption too and figgered I'd ask the INGO brain trust!

Marksman

User Info Menu

I thought if the quota was 8, you could only take 8 in total for all equipment seasons

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

The quotas are for the bonus anterless tags. The does you shoot with archery or muzzleloader licenses don't count towards the bonus quotas.

User Info Menu

What if the land you own is forested, not "farmland"?
    Do I need a license to hunt on my property?If you meet the following exemptions, then you do not need a license to hunt your own property. Exemptions: Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana are not required to obtain a permit while hunting, fishing, or trapping on the land they own or lease. A license is also NOT required for the landowner’s or lessee’s spouse or children living with them. This license exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family who farm that land.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/3247.htm
    I'm surrounded by a lot of women in this department. And that includes the men.
    ~ Ron Swanson

Sarcasm will not be colored purple. Just like in real life, you will have to figure it out on your own.

User Info Menu

License Information | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2016 | eRegulations

Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable to the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes. There is no acreage requirement to qualify for this exemption.

User Info Menu

Quick follow up to the landowner scenario:
    after the deer is shot and the tag is filled out, would a landowner have to haul the deer away to a check station if the intent was to process it on the same property it was harvested on?

I'm surrounded by a lot of women in this department. And that includes the men.
    ~ Ron Swanson

Sarcasm will not be colored purple. Just like in real life, you will have to figure it out on your own.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast