• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This past winter, my wife and I bought some land that meets the DNR license exemption requirements. As such, this fall will be my first time hunting in Indiana.

I see the "Deer License Bundle" allows one to take up to three deer, two anterless and one either.

Are bonus anterless deer, up to the county-specific quota, included in the landowner exemption?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yes.

No "license" bundle needed. All you need is a book every year to know how many you can kill, with what, and when.

Fill out a "tag" on a post card with all the same information as a Tag, put it in a ziploc in your left rear pocket, and forget about the rest until you need to notch it and date it for a dead deer.

-Nate

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    This past winter, my wife and I bought some land that meets the DNR license exemption requirements. As such, this fall will be my first time hunting in Indiana.

I see the "Deer License Bundle" allows one to take up to three deer, two anterless and one either.

Are bonus anterless deer, up to the county-specific quota, included in the landowner exemption?

What he said above.

Basically being a landowner works the same as my lifetime license. I just make my own tags as instructed in the regulation book that you can easily pull up on the DNR website. It looks like Clark county has a bonus antlerless count of 8. If you bow hunt, and have a muzzle loader, you could legally take 11 antlerless deer and 1 antlered deer. Your wife could do the same. No purchase of a license is necessary. But you should read the regulations yourself to be safe.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

so you own the ground your hunting on....if so you don't need a license.....check here under "do i have to have a license to hunt on my own property"

DNR: Customer Service

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Thanks folks.

I knew I didn't need a license as a landowner...just didn't know if the bonus anterless deer quota applied to the landowner exemption too and figgered I'd ask the INGO brain trust!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    What if the land you own is forested, not "farmland"?
    Do I need a license to hunt on my property?If you meet the following exemptions, then you do not need a license to hunt your own property. Exemptions: Landowners or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana are not required to obtain a permit while hunting, fishing, or trapping on the land they own or lease. A license is also NOT required for the landowner’s or lessee’s spouse or children living with them. This license exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family who farm that land.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/3247.htm

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Quick follow up to the landowner scenario:
    after the deer is shot and the tag is filled out, would a landowner have to haul the deer away to a check station if the intent was to process it on the same property it was harvested on?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Quick follow up to the landowner scenario:
    after the deer is shot and the tag is filled out, would a landowner have to haul the deer away to a check station if the intent was to process it on the same property it was harvested on?
    I would say no. You just need to get it checked in by any method, then start cutting out them tasty back straps!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I would say no. You just need to get it checked in by any method, then start cutting out them tasty back straps!
    Thanks!
    I called the DNR and they said you'd just check it in online. So, you're right. I also have it from the horse's mouth that a forested plot counts.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    For those asking and answering questions, I've seen several incorrect anterless deer quotas mentioned here. The DNR reduced the quotas due to EHD and there are no counties with a quota higher than 2 this year. See this link for the updated totals.

Top Bottom