• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I searched my place for 1 hour today after my forester pointed some out to me and found quite a bit. I think I've got a new hobby. I found 9oz so far.

What's the going rate this year? Google says $500 per lb, but I'd rather hear it from a seller.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Keep your find to yourself.Where the seeds still on...probably not.Each nub on the root was a year in age.Some years it is dorment.Found one once that had 25 nubs.Your 9 oz will dry to maybe 3.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Annual ritual of trespassers around here coming from out of the HNF. They hunt for ginseng and leave a trail of trash.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have to heal up then me and the g/f will go in the back and find the grandkids Christmas ....:).....found 12oz dry last year and only went twice....

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My wife and I dig. Last year was her first year and she loved it. We have been a couple of times and hope to get out at least once more. Would like to get up to a pound dried. Has anyone heard what local buyers are giving this year?

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    That's neat, didn't know it grew in the area. One of those that looks familiar from stomping around the woods, wont be harvesting any though.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Sarsaparilla looks like it(in the same family)but the lower two leaves come out about a inch below the three leaves.I t also roots with a vine under ground.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    dug this today.....

1zyfyc7.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My Dad dug years ago on his property... I've always wanted to but don't know anything about it. I think I may get my Google on get out and give it a try.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'll be back at it tomorrow after meeting with my forester again. At what point is the root considered dry vs green? How will I as a noob know when the moisture content is right? Can it be too dry?

Thanks !

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I'll be back at it tomorrow after meeting with my forester again. At what point is the root considered dry vs green? How will I as a noob know when the moisture content is right? Can it be too dry?

Thanks !
    When it is dry it'll be as hard as a rock and very brittle. The hair roots will break very easily when dry. As for too dry, they say not to dehydrate it. Just place in window sill or on a screen and let air dry. That's usually good enough.

Are you selling timber? Just curious. Markets are good right now if you are.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    When it is dry it'll be as hard as a rock and very brittle. The hair roots will break very easily when dry. As for too dry, they say not to dehydrate it. Just place in window sill or on a screen and let air dry. That's usually good enough.

Are you selling timber? Just curious. Markets are good right now if you are.

Thanks for the info on the seng! Yes I am selling timber. I bought this place 5 years ago and the mature canopy has basically destroyed the understory. I have spots of forest with bare dirt due to no sunlight. The deer hardly come thru anymore. I'm selling roughly 130 trees yielding around 30K board feet, primarily sugar maple with some hickory, oak, and walnut mixed in. This will release the few oaks and hickories I have left, and allow a new generation of better trees to grow. I'm scared to see the outcome to the land, but I know it needs done and will look better in a few years.

The forester said the ginseng will grow much better once the sale is over with too :)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    One of the Outdoor Cable Channels had a Reality Series following some Ginseng Diggers, don't know how true "reality" was but it seemed like a bunch of thugs trespassing and stealing for the most part. My Grandmother made Ginseng candy for us, man I miss her.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Thanks for the info on the seng! Yes I am selling timber. I bought this place 5 years ago and the mature canopy has basically destroyed the understory. I have spots of forest with bare dirt due to no sunlight. The deer hardly come thru anymore. I'm selling roughly 130 trees yielding around 30K board feet, primarily sugar maple with some hickory, oak, and walnut mixed in. This will release the few oaks and hickories I have left, and allow a new generation of better trees to grow. I'm scared to see the outcome to the land, but I know it needs done and will look better in a few years.

The forester said the ginseng will grow much better once the sale is over with too :)

How many acres? 130 trees shouldn't be too noticeable. As a forester myself I always tell people to look at what is left as far as the residual timber. The tops and briars are unsightful but the deer that hold on the property will out weigh the visual. As long as some of the crop trees you're releasing aren't damaged by the felling of the timber you'll be alright.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    How many acres?

A measly 5 acres. It's gonna be noticeable. VERY noticeable. I'm sure you are cringing at that tree count from a small property... I know I am. I'm looking at it as I'm getting the barn site cleared for free rather than paying for it, as well as the understory exposed, mast trees released, and all the maple borer damaged trees removed. My guy said its the worst case of borer he has seen in 35 years. :(

There are some veneer quality trees coming off too, so hopefully that makes up for some of the borer damage.

With 5 acres, I only get 1 shot to harvest it in my lifetime....so I figured I might as well cut it hard, get some $, and get some more deer cruising by thru the thickness.
    I have plans to replant more oaks, apples, etc as well as let some natural regen take place.

The question is WTF am I going to do with 130 tops on 5 acres.....INGO firewood making party? :)

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    It'll be thick for sure. 26 trees an acre is a good hair cut. Not familiar with the maple borer. It's not the Asian long horned beetle is it? You better get your sang out of there now, you'll not be able to find it for years.

Top Bottom