• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I was curios if anyone on here has build any on there property. I know I am to late to put them in this year but I am thinking about a winter project. If you have build one can you please post some pictures and the dimensions of them? I am thinking 2 man so my son and I can hunt out of it for gun and bow season. How high off the ground are they? I am curious how big the windows are and the height of them from the floor. I am also curious what you would change and what your key features you added that you really like.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    KIMG0707.jpg I just finished this jewell this week. The floor is 10' above ground, in a creek bottom so need to avoid the floods. It is 6'x6' and 6' tall in the front and 5' in back. Windows are 17" x54" on 3 sides. posts are utility posts and the subfloor is 2x6 with 5/4 deckboard covered in carpet scraps. I think I have about $400 in it, not counting the plexiglass windows that I don't have yet.

Plan on hunting out of it this weekend with my oldest daughter for the first time, so I don't have any changes I'd like to add to it yet. My little boy 4 has requested that I put a cup holder in it for his coffee, so that is next on the list.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll get you a photo of mine here shortly, and try to remember the dimensions... I know it's large enough that two people can lay down and sleep in it. It makes deer hunting why better on cold mornings. Have sliding windows in it and it's insulated so you can heat it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Well I've tried to use tinypic as a host and it won't take them so I can't seem to get any on for you. I'll get some dimensions though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ndwtwn.jpg

Finally got it to work, snapped this pic this morning... It's 6'x8' and 14' high. Put rubber mat down on the floor so that you can move and not make noise. Purchased the windows cheap at an outlet so they slide open and shut for shooting and or warmth. Insulated it, and put a heater up there... For the most part we leave chairs, binoculars and other junk up there year round. It's changed deer hunting for my dad for sure. Heck he even will make and or take coffee up there. Highly recommend building one. My dad and I did this one in a few weeks of working in the evenings.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

images

Which one do you like best? I took me a bit to get them all built.

:laugh: Just kidding. I am clearing a place to build my own as well. I plan on using 4 16' 4x4s and just building it 4'x4'. Sinking the posts about 1.5' and using 2x6 for the floor. I think I will use the 16' 4x4s as about 30" of the wall height and then add the rest of the walls and roof to that. That will make the floor about 12' from the ground. I have been planning this for 4 or 5 years at least. Maybe this year.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    ndwtwn.jpg

Finally got it to work, snapped this pic this morning... It's 6'x8' and 14' high. Put rubber mat down on the floor so that you can move and not make noise. Purchased the windows cheap at an outlet so they slide open and shut for shooting and or warmth. Insulated it, and put a heater up there... For the most part we leave chairs, binoculars and other junk up there year round. It's changed deer hunting for my dad for sure. Heck he even will make and or take coffee up there. Highly recommend building one. My dad and I did this one in a few weeks of working in the evenings.

Very impressive!!! This is what made me think of some others I had seen in the past. One even had a hot tube. I could not find that picture. The guy had his lever-action marlin in the hot tube with him.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Ru44mag
    I'd put them deeper than 1.5feet. 14.5 feet above ground will be wobbly. I used 18` utility poles and put 4` in ground with 100lbs of quick Crete per hole and with the floor on it was wobbly. Bracing helped. Not critiquing, just giving advice.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Ru44mag
    I'd put them deeper than 1.5feet. 14.5 feet above ground will be wobbly. I used 18` utility poles and put 4` in ground with 100lbs of quick Crete per hole and with the floor on it was wobbly. Bracing helped. Not critiquing, just giving advice.

Thanks. I like advice. I planned to brace a lot, but was considering deeper holes. Where did you get the utility pole?. I would much rather do that. And cost?

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Thanks. I like advice. I planned to brace a lot, but was considering deeper holes. Where did you get the utility pole?. I would much rather do that. And cost?

My Dad used get old utility poles from the power company (I can not recall what the name of it was) located in Noblesville in the 1970's. We would drag them home on back roads with his Mustang convertible. I doubt if you could get away with that today. You might check with your utility company and see what they do with their old poles.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven

My wife's uncle works for remc. Get the free. I think most utility companies give them away. It's costly to dispose at landfill due to creosote treatment.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    If anyone is thinking of building one, I have some used lumber that I will give you. I have about 20 8' 2x6's and about 20 8' 6" TREX boards, they are solid, have nail holes, nails pulled, paint on one side, might be dirty or faded, but they are solid. I live in Huntington Co, about 10mi from Rousch Lake. You come and get them. First guy that makes arrangements with me to come and get them can have them. Mike Trible

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If anyone is thinking of building one, I have some used lumber that I will give you. I have about 20 8' 2x6's and about 20 8' 6" TREX boards, they are solid, have nail holes, nails pulled, paint on one side, might be dirty or faded, but they are solid. I live in Huntington Co, about 10mi from Rousch Lake. You come and get them. First guy that makes arrangements with me to come and get them can have them. Mike Trible

Thanks for the lumber Mike. You have a nice place, and it was good to meet you.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    ndwtwn.jpg

That is amazing.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Thanks for all the help so far. One of my questions I have is how far up the wall would you put the windows? My buddy works for Duke and got me 6 poles this weekend. I am thinking 4'x6' box 8'-10' foot off the ground.  

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Thanks for all the help so far. One of my questions I have is how far up the wall would you put the windows? My buddy works for Duke and got me 6 poles this weekend. I am thinking 4'x6' box 8'-10' foot off the ground.  

Depends on what chair you'll be sitting in. I made mine 36-38" from floor. 10' off the ground should be plenty. I'd made mine lower but its in a creek bottom that floods and I went 10' for flood purposes.

Top Bottom