Backpackers what is your favorite Sleeping Pad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I need to pick up a couple new sleeping pads.

Wife and I are looking at through-hiking the roughly 275 mile Superior Hiking Trail along shore of Lake Superior on the northern shore of Minnesota this summer. I need new sleeping pads.

Priorities (in no particular order)
    • Comfort
    • Packability
    • Low Weight
    • Warranty - that is actually backed up by manufacturer

Cost is not a factor. I'll pay for the best combination of the above 3 factors, this is a month long hike, shaving a couple dollars and compromising on my priorities is not a viable option.

I found this review but some of the pads are not particularly current, some are way to bulky/heavy to backpack in rugged areas.

http://expeditionportal.com/sleeping-pads-the-mother-of-all-reviews/

Not looking for pads designed for car camping. Must weigh under 1.5# yet still be durable. Looking for a 3 season pad, thermal insulation is not needed but if can recommend a pad with thermal insulation that fits my criteria that would be preferred.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I hike with a Thermarest NeoAir Camper. If you want lighter, they make a bunch of models. I would buy a Thermarest NeoAir again. I absolutely love it, and have spent significant time on it.

If you want to save a few ounces, go with the NeoAir Trekker or XLite. But dang the Camper model I have is 1lb 14 oz and is 3" thick. Super comfortable, and very light for what you get in terms of comfort. The Trekker is 2.5" thick, and the XLite is as well, but with the corners rounded.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Always been a Sea to Summit fan but nice to hear so many good things about Thermarest

Thermarest ultralight. And a small tube of rubber cement to repair any pinholes (any brand can get them unless you use a closed cell pad).

Problem I've had with closed cell is that to get them compact enough they need to be thin and when they are thin they are less comfortable. Looking for an upgrade.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I use the REI brand. https://www.rei.com/product/845298/rei-airrail-15-self-inflating-sleeping-pad It's worked well for several years. I usually tent camp. I've tried it hammock camping but I wasn't a big fan. It wasn't enough insulation under me and I had cold spots. I don't have an underquilt so I prefer to hammock camp only in warm weather. I'm a back sleeper and rarely sleep on my side or stomach. Not sure how you sleep but side sleepers generally need a thicker pad or it will bother your hip. Good Luck on your search.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    You will want thermal insulation. If not now, you will later.

Thermarest is the way to go. One night on a 2.5" Thermarest will make your body a happy camper.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I use a thermarest neoair xtherm but I mostly bikepack so weight isn't a huge deal. One of my buddies has an xlite and it seems just as good but with a little lower R value and a little less weight.

I've never had to use their customer service but they seem to have a good rep in general everywhere I've read.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I started using a Klymit Static V last year and love it. Pack ability is great. Weighs just over 1 lb and packs down to just slightly larger than your first. Inflates easily with 8-10 breaths and is very comfortable for me as a back sleeper. Only negatives I would give it is, it is kind of slick so if you move around a lot your sleeping bag might slide off and, it's not an insulated pad so R value is fairly low. For 3 season light weight backpacking I think it's hard to beat. Make sure to check the Klymit EBay store since they have refurbished models cheaper.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't backpack but I do a lot of motorcycle camping so things that pack small are a priority. For the last three years I've found the Exped mat to be the most comfortable small packing pad.

https://www.rei.com/product/780367/...3HhJ9ecmz9z9YDhIPCU1ryMOnXSJNgqSgERoCIRjw_wcB

It has a built in pump and is insulated so it helps in cold weather.
    That looks nice but its a little on the heavy side for backpacking.

Going to be heading over to REI in Oak Brook, IL on Friday to check out the newest Thermarest and Sea to Summit offerings.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I started using a Klymit Static V last year and love it. Pack ability is great. Weighs just over 1 lb and packs down to just slightly larger than your first. Inflates easily with 8-10 breaths and is very comfortable for me as a back sleeper. Only negatives I would give it is, it is kind of slick so if you move around a lot your sleeping bag might slide off and, it's not an insulated pad so R value is fairly low. For 3 season light weight backpacking I think it's hard to beat. Make sure to check the Klymit EBay store since they have refurbished models cheaper.

^This.
    Many nights of comfortable sleep on hard floors and hard ground. Mine is the insulated version - a little heavier, but warmer.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    For backpacking, I use the Therm-a-rest Z-Lite. These things are nearly indestructible. I've used the same pad for five trips to Philmont and all the campouts prepping for these trips ... no rips, no tears, and a good nights sleep even on the hardest ground.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another vote for Thermarest. Look over the models, pick the one that suits you most. Not a backpacker but my son and I have many trips to the Boundary Waters and though we are spoiled with having canoes, we still have to portage so weight is a factor.

And since there is so much rock up there, it is highly likely that you may be sleeping on a rock some nights.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MkRKeU0cl8

Here is a recent review of a few of the top pads out right now.

Neat video, though there's $50 pads competing with $150+ pads.

The comfort test is a bit misleading, IMO, and a bit like the Pepsi challenge--laying down for 1 minute vs 5 hrs (a shot of Pepsi vs a can of Pepsi--big difference (Coke would win that test). I like the Amazon reviews for the Klymit; some of them need to go inside the sleeping bag, apparently, though. (I can't figure out if my mummy bag should turn/roll with me or I should turn inside it and keep the opening facing upwards)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    • Comfort - definitely Big Agnes over Thermarest.
    • Packability - both pack small enough not to notice a difference.
    • Low Weight - check the charts once you decide on a model.
    • Warranty - useless in the middle of nowhere on a multi day outing. Both brands are well made. Take a repair kit.

Not mentioned in your priorities was insulation. If other than summer camping consider thermal properties as you evaluate pads.

A long time Thermarest user since they first came out. Still have one with a brass closure. For summer camping use a Thermarest ProLite 3/4 length regularly which works well with my Bivy bag. Still use on solo outings. Have Thermarest that survived my son growing up camping so if a boy can't destroy them they are durable.

After trying my wife's Big Agnes it is my go to most of the time. More comfortable especially if you are a side sleeper or have back issues. Seems very durable and expect many years of service. Takes longer to inflate but not bad. I am often tasked with inflating both hers and mine.

Have not had any issues with either brand. Did have a Cascade Design e-case fail. Sent them a photo and they sent a replacement, no questions asked.

Top Bottom