• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    When I was hunting with rifle rounds in my pistol configured T/C Encore it was mandatory. Now that I am using 35 Remington in a carbine I haven't been wearing any.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    With the good quality electronic muffs, I don't see a reason not to. You can even turn up the mic to hear better when all is quiet.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    If you can afford quality electronic muffs, go for it. If not, you will not damage yourself for the few shots you take in the field.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With the good quality electronic muffs, I don't see a reason not to. You can even turn up the mic to hear better when all is quiet.

If you can afford quality electronic muffs, go for it. If not, you will not damage yourself for the few shots you take in the field.

Both excellent answers.

Though I hunted as a teen without any protection (I'm paying for abusing my ears now) I'll take the former. If I crank the volume on my Peltors, I feel like a superhero. I hear every last thing out there. Nothing sneaking up on me. And if you invest in stereo ears, you can even tell the direction as well for an additional advantage.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wore my electronics when I was out a few weeks ago. It was fantastic - other than making a few nearby squirrels sound like bigfoot was attacking me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can't imagine doing any shooting without some sort of ear protection. Well, bow hunting, I've not worn any. :)

But seriously, even when a young teen bird hunting with my grandfather, we wore the ones you stuff in your ears. I use electronic now.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    This year, I'm using a suppressed 308... Best investment ever.

Normally when hunting I use my molded ear plugs. I can rotate them outward a bit to allow sound to go in. Then with a quick twist they are in place for when i need to shoot. I find that I can't shoulder a rifle well with over the ear.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    and to follow da Tanker, I took the advice and went with the Peltor Tac Sport. Best investment ever.

Though that review is STARTING to get long in the tooth. 3M/Peltor have released newer headsets than what was available back then. I have to presume others have as well. (still good info though)

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I use the mushroom looking foam plugs. Occasionally I'll take some standard muffs which are much faster to put on.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I've worn a pair of Peltor's for years while deer hunting. Like others have said, I enjoy the added benefit of being able to hear a mouse fart and the benefit of hearing protection while shooting just makes sense to me. YMMV

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I guess I am old. I can't imagine wearing that stuff while out hunting.

The ear muffs also have the added benefit of really helping to keep ears warm, too.

You should try it. I had no worries of touching off a 16" barreled 5.56 AR while inside a ground blind since I was wearing my ear pro. Granted, I didn't shoot anything - but I could have!

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I guess I am old. I can't imagine wearing that stuff while out hunting.
    It's not just the old hah, I'm in my 20s and I can't imagine hunting with ears on, though I'm careful to always have them when doing recreational shooting.

I would imagine I might change my tune if I had a nice pair of ears, but I've only had the cheap ones and those suck in the wind and get in the way of a good cheek weld. I've been eyeing some peltor 6s's after reading this thread, any thoughts on them? Are they compact enough to avoid cheek weld problems?

Top Bottom