• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Does anyone know of any rumors that DNR has hired sharp shooters @ $1 million cost to kill the whole deer population in Franklin County? Was told this as a fact by a Franklin County landowner that claims that shooters are there now asking to get permission to get on their property. Supposedly treating landowners badly and threatening them if they don't grant permission. This is supposedly over Bovine TB being discovered in some deer in the area. Sounds like BS rumor to me, but again, you can't write off bad decisions by state agencies.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDNR/bulletins/17e996b

snip: The excellent turnout of high-quality samples means DNR can cancel previous plans to use sharpshooters to cull deer throughout southern Fayette and Franklin counties. A scaled-back plan will help obtain the remaining, needed deer from specific areas.The revised collection plan allows landowners to remove a limited number of deer using DNR-issued special disease control permits through March 31. Permits will be issued only to landowners within the core surveillance area established in the 3-mile circles around the bTB-affected sites. Permits will allow a limited, specified number of deer to be taken to prevent over-culling of the deer population in the area.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Hammer, Thanks for the link it was helpful. I was not aware of plan to do this, but it seems that the intent was to collect enough to determine if a problem existed or not. Not to kill all deer as it was presented to me.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Got this email..

FYI – Public meeting notice.

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:26 PM
    To: Derrer, Denise
    Subject: PUBLIC MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT: Bovine Tuberculosis Update Meetings in Brookville, IN

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BOAH and DNR to Host Two Community Meetings
    on Bovine Tuberculosis in Brookville, Ind.

INDIANAPOLIS (12 January 2016)—The Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH) and Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will host two community meetings to discuss the bovine tuberculosis (bTB) situation in Franklin County, Indiana. This is an opportunity for the public to hear an update directly from both agencies and ask questions. (The presentation at both meetings will be the same.)

Meeting1:

Date: Monday, January 23, 2017

Time: 6:30 p.m.

1 Wildcat Lane
    Brookville, IN 47012

Meeting 2:

Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Time: 9 a.m.

Commissioner’s Meeting Room, Room 203 (2nd floor)
    1010 Franklin Ave
    Brookville, IN 47012
    (Park on the north side of the building and enter the north side of the building.)

Both agencies have been working to test cattle and wild, white-tailed deer in the area since a Franklin County beef herd tested positive for bTB in April 2016. Since then, BOAH has tested more than 375 cattle herds and DNR has sampled nearly 2000 hunter-harvested deer to determine if the disease has spread or established in the area. To date, two cattle herds (on three sites) and one wild whitetail have tested positive for the disease.

More information about the disease and the investigation, as it develops, will be available on the BOAH website at:
    www.in.gov/boah/2770.htm.
    ###

About Bovine TB
    Bovine tuberculosis is a chronic bacterial disease that affects primarily cattle, but can be transmitted to any warm-blooded animal. TB is difficult to diagnose through clinical signs alone. In the early stages of the disease, clinical signs are not visible. Later, signs may include: emaciation, lethargy, weakness, anorexia, low-grade fever and pneumonia with a chronic, moist cough. Lymph node enlargement may also be present. Cattle owners who notice these signs in their livestock should contact their private veterinarian.

CONTACT: Denise Derrer, Public Information Director, 317-544-2400; dderrer@boah.in.gov

Denise Derrer
    Public Information Director
    Indiana State Board of Animal Health
    Discovery Hall, Ste. 100
    1202 E. 38th Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46205-2898
    Phone: 317-544-2414
    www.boah.in.gov

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Completely false . As a landowner of a fairly large tract of land in the 3 mile radius , no one has contacted me or anyone that borders me . Those plans have been scrapped because of the large turnout from hunters and 0 positive tb samples .

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Only sharpshooters around here are the poachers . I had 3 poached this year that I know of . The only way I found out about them was the drag and blood marks in the snow . We've only had snow twice and just for a couple days .

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Completely False OP. Whatever landowner told you that is a liar. I own property in the affected area south of Franklin County and that plan never even went into place thanks to the hunters working with the DNR getting the required amount of samples. The landowner that made up that story should be ashamed of himself saying that he's being threatened by the DNR's sharpshooters. Not true.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Its funny that so many rumors and so on still swirling. I think they had several meetings (i attended two) in Brookville which outlined the plans they had. Sharpshooters were on the drawing board at one time but never progressed past that point. To the OP: Did you landowner source also tell you for a fact they were doing away with the lifetime ltch?

Top Bottom