• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Looking at tents on cabelas website and find the ones that look nice also have a nice price. Of course that's Cabelas for you.

Anyone with knowledge of the latest camping tents. What makes a roomy tent for 2 adults and 2 kids?

What brand makes quality tents?

My wife wouldn't be happy with something unless it had a full bath and a living room if you know what I mean. But I hope to get her outdoors more and need some suggestions on what works good for your family camping excursion.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Last edited:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    REI

buy a nice tent. Pay good money for it. Take good care. Stay dry.

Buy a cheap tent. Hate putting it up. Get wet. Stop using it.

Theres my two cents.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The Cabela`s Outfitters Guide series are extremely nice. Easy to set up, take down, roomy, and durable. As with most things, you get what you pay for. I had a 4-man dome that I set up at Owen-Putnam during turkey season several springs ago. Set it up alone it was so easy to do.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Eureka is a good brand. My scout troop has been using them for almost 30 years, we have some that are new, some that are 10-12 years old and a couple pushing 20. Eureka Copper Canyon 6 is a good tent, great rain fly and plenty of room. Campmor has it for $259 right now...buy it and seam sealer....seal the seams every other year and that tent will last a good ten years. Big Agnes is another good brand as well. Tough built, lasts long time.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would say it depends on how much you are going to use it. If you are going to get after it and be out in it a lot spend the cash and get something nice. If it is only going to get drug out a couple times a year anything will work for you. I had a Eddie Bauer from Target that served me well for quite a few years. Sold it when we had kids.

I am in the same boat right now. My two kids are getting old enough now where I think they would really enjoy a camping trip. My wife is the same way as yours. If it isn't like our house she wants no part of it. I priced out campers and they are stupid priced for what she would be ok with. I know it will sit and rot in the back yard and only get used maybe twice a year.

I am keeping my eye on Craigslist for a decent larger sized tent for us. Picked up a brand new two person dome at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Did a trial run in the back yard with the kids and they loved it!

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    A lot of it depends if you are packing it around or not. If you are basically camping from the car a walmart tent with a tarp under to protect the floor will do. Or you can drop some coin. I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek but I pack it. Once you start saving weight the price goes way up. Last summer

Also take notice that the number of persons a tent will accommodate is always high. If you are all 4 sleeping in one tent then get at least a 5 person.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends on the amount of use and what type of use.

If you're not using it much and driving to your camp spot, just get a couple cheap Coleman dome tents. They'll do the job. Get 2 basic 4 person dome tents. One for the kids, and one for the adults. The 4 person Coleman dome is large enough to put a queen blow up mattress in it (hell yeah it does). I have one for camping from the car with the wife. Has been used about 5 times a year for 10 years. Still going strong. But I wouldn't bet my life on it like my other tents when I go into the actual wilderness.

If you're going to use it a lot or in harsh conditions, but only for car camping, still go for two 4 person dome tents. But spring a bit of extra cash to get something that's more robust. My go-to brands are Eureka, REI, and Marmot. Those will get you into a great quality tent without going overboard and getting into the "spend a lot extra for not much extra performance."

If you're going to use it a lot and backpack with it, for 4 people, I'd get two quality 2+ or 3 person tents. Or go for hammocks. At this point, I mostly hammock camp when I backpack or float rivers. Tents, again, look at Eureka, REI, and Marmot. A good starter hammock kit is the ENO onelink kit.

The Marmot tents are always listed super expensive for the newest models, but you can normally find close outs of last years models for less than Eureka prices. That's normally what I do. I love my Marmot tent. Has all the features my brother wishes he had on his (guy lines on all sides for example).

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife loves camping with the air mattresses. However, skip the queen size and get everyone a cheap twin. Air mattresses for two people mean neither one will sleep. We have the Intex brand and they have held up for several years now. As opposed to the expensive Coleman queen we initially bought that had a leak out of the box.

My tent fits 8 twin mattresses, though we usually only use 6. And leave space for ingress/egress.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    what kind of camping & what is your budget? I use a Cabela's Big Horn II Tent for all weather camping.. it is Very tall inside & plenty of room for four adults with cots even when the stove is set up inside..
    It is however NOT a back pack tent.. it is very quick to set up for one person once you learn the steps.. but the poles along weight 50+ pounds..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I bought this tent 20 years ago. It has stood up to high wind and torrential rain, bone dry inside. I did buy the tarp with it. The whole outfit has been an excellent investment.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model® Geodesic Tent with Fiberglass Poles – 4-Person : Cabela's

That`s a wonderful tent, and the vestibule is a great addition too!

When I first bought it, I worried about the lifespan of the fiberglass poles. It has proved to be a non-issue, I haven't gotten crazy with them and they work today the same way they did when I bought it. The vestibule is handy when it's raining. Use it the same way you use your back porch at home.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I typically only get to camp once a year with my dad, brother and a few good friends. With cots and all the gear for 3 of us we bought one of those "portable garages" and set that up with a good tarp for the floor and we're good to go. Plenty of room to stand up and we also have room to set up chairs inside to sit our gear on at night and keep the dew off

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I purchased a 10 x 10 Kodiak at Cabelas this year and have been very impressed with it. I was using a backpack sized dome tent that was light but small. I wanted a camping tent that I haul out in a vehicle and put up. I put an inflatable queen sized mattress in it in November with a heater and was very satisfied. It assembles in a few minutes and was dry inside even though it rained for a couple days. I like being able to stand up anywhere in the tent, not just the center. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU

Top Bottom