• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Now that it is warm many of us can spend more time enjoying the outdoors and looking for arrowheads. So, please share your legally obtained, surface found, on private property with permission, (I think that covers all legal aspects) arrowheads. I'll start. I found this pink heat treated fossiliferous atlatl point this morning. The first picture is "in situ" just as I found it.

IMG_3544.jpg IMG_3545.jpg IMG_3546.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Have not looked in years, but enjoyed it very much. I only have about 8 points and an axe head. The last point I found was in about 1989 (probably last time I looked). It was a small obsidian point found near Waverly. I though it was a piece of glass when I first saw it. Still my all time favorite. How an obsidian point got to Waverly still has me pondering things.

Not a point, but my son found a shark's tooth several years ago on an antelope hunt in the great basin area of Wyoming near Elk Mountain. That is his find of a lifetime.

Dirty Steve

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have found on the surface quite a few fire cracked bones (deer and one canine per my vet) that were cracked for the marrow, a couple of mussel shells (19 miles from the river) a small nearly fossilized jaw bone (with two teeth, skunk maybe?), numerous shards of Harrison County Flint and a broken knife...

The best part was finding the bedrock mortars on the property in front of one of the the rock shelters....My neighbor told me they were there but he had not seen them in 15 years....I kept looking around where he told me they were (three weekends) and yesterday I was looking around and went, "Huh...That's kind of weird those leaves being in a perfect circle on that big chunk of sandstone..." I went to get them off of there and my hand sunk in...The other was filled with debris as well....I scooped out the junk and now have two beautiful bedrock mortars to enjoy looking at as I gaze down the canyon...I'll try to post the pic I took with my phone...

Note...These were all surface finds found after the rain this weekend had come over the cliffs onto the area in front of the rock shelter....

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It amazes me how much they traded, I know a guy who found and Aztec figurine made of black volcanic rock over by Friendship.

Down at the Clark Cabin site in Clarksville (part of the Falls of the Ohio State Park) they have a gorget on display made from a sea shell only found on the coast of Maine...It is my understanding that Harrison County flint has been found in 48 states...Only Alaska and Hawaii have not produced any artifacts made from this....It kind of makes me proud that a flint only found in 225 square miles of Harrison and Crawford Counties in Indiana and Meade County Kentucky has that kind of distribution...

That Ohio River was like a UPS line for trade back in the day....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My farmer called and he is plowing our field this evening.....Nice field with a creek and Rock Shelters on both sides....I can not wait....Neighbor said it has been no tilled for the past 30 years and planted with hay....My guy wanted to put in corn and wants to aerate the soil...Plow first, then fertilizer and then disc.....

Shop WILL be closing early tomorrow and Lord I hope it rains tonight.....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sounds like I need to head to your place.

:)

564edd96042be6f9fc73febbed9129b177b0a073d0666421037341846bfad71d.jpg

Top Bottom