Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Anyone here into Kayak fishing?

Well? Lets see your rigs. I just picked up an Ascend FS10 and have had it out twice locally and had a blast. I have lots of experience in a canoe but this is my first kayak. I have it setup with a Garmin Striker 4 sonar/GPS, a few extra rod holders, a small cooler and 5 gallon bucket w/ aerator that runs off of the battery for the FF to either hold bait or double as a live well.

User Info Menu

I got into it around 2012ish for about a year or so. Still have the yak but haven't been out in a couple years (I am not a talented fisherman) but I did enjoy it. Pretty decent group of guys from around the state doing it now, check out Indiana Kayak Anglers if you're on Facebook.

User Info Menu

"Anyone here into Kayak fishing?"

I haven't ever caught any, what do grilled Kayaks taste like?
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    "Anyone here into Kayak fishing?"

I haven't ever caught any, what do grilled Kayaks taste like?
    melted plastic I believe. Probably better steamed than grilled.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I'm a wannabe, we'll see soon enough. I've caught a few fish from my yak, but the harvest comes from the canoe. Hopefully putting a better fishing yak on the water this year.

The cold water kinda scares me. How do you deal with it?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    I'm a wannabe, we'll see soon enough. I've caught a few fish from my yak, but the harvest comes from the canoe. Hopefully putting a better fishing yak on the water this year.

The cold water kinda scares me. How do you deal with it?
    The water around here really isn't that cold, for comparison I spent the last 12 years in Alaska, the water there will kill you here if you take a dip you will be uncomfortable at worst, provided you're actually wearing a PFD and proper clothing. When its warm out practice re-entry if you take a dip, same with a canoe.

FWIW many of the SOT kayaks that I demo'd felt more stable than my canoe. They have nice wide bottoms and are designed for standing and fishing. You have to REALLY mess up to turn one over.

User Info Menu

I bought an Ascend H12 last year and am really impressed with its capabilities. It is stable, reasonably quick, tracks straight and has plenty of room for gear. I mostly fished rivers and occasionally a small lake or pond. I bought this particular boat because I felt it would also serve as a solid duck hunting boat on smaller waters. Timing and weather last season did not allow me to try hunting from this boat, but hopefully next year will be better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    melted plastic I believe. Probably better steamed than grilled.
    But make sure you steam it a REALLY long time. They are REALLY tough and chewy otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Solo canoe fishing FTW. Just a little 12 foot Old Town Disco 119. Love this thing. Got rid of the kayak years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KG1 View Post
    You are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Nice rig.

Fishing no, yaking for exercise, YES. My wife and I got in over 115 miles last summer and hope to substantially improve upon that this summer. We absolutely love kayaking. I canoed a lot starting at age 18 and continued for the next 30 years. We rented kayaks on a whim down in Florida two winters ago and kayaked the bay and up and down the coast in the Gulf at Siesta Key. We loved it. I started researching kayaks the minute we got back , bought them in the spring and have not had the canoe in the water in the last 2 years. I'll take a yak over a canoe any day now.

Most unique trip last summer was kayaking the Chicago River at night through downtown. We may do that again this summer.

Dirty Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast