• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Went out and did my bird feeders this morning, came back in and started getting breakfast ready. Felt a little tickle on my back and reached back to itch it, felt a small lump. Pinched the lump and got it off then looked to see what it was. A tick. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:YES! I was so worried that none had survived our severely severe winter. In all seriousness tho, I think this is the earliest I've found a tick. Guess its time to break out the permanone.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I had a tick yesterday. This is the earliest for me as well. I guess I will dump a load of triazicide this weekend. I hate ticks!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Went out and did my bird feeders this morning, came back in and started getting breakfast ready. Felt a little tickle on my back and reached back to itch it, felt a small lump. Pinched the lump and got it off then looked to see what it was. A tick. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:YES! I was so worried that none had survived our severely severe winter. In all seriousness tho, I think this is the earliest I've found a tick. Guess its time to break out the permanone.

John, I think Indiucky plans to turn his new place in Perry County into a tick ranch.

You might want to save any future finds for his breeding stock. I'm certain he would reward you generously!!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This upcoming weekend might put a hurting on the tick population, but unfortunately its going to be awful on the trees. There won't be many acorns or hickory nuts for the deer and squirrels come late summer/fall. The fruit trees in the orchard are also going to get hit pretty hard.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    John, I think Indiucky plans to turn his new place in Perry County into a tick ranch.

You might want to save any future finds for his breeding stock. I'm certain he would reward you generously!!

Yeah John...Cull me out a couple of good breeders....The one's I got now I think need some new genes....With the new property I hope to get my herd up to 1-2 million head...

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Nasty creatures! Had a few on me and the dog after hiking the in the last month. Once you find one on yourself it feels like they are crawling all over you. Do tick checks after spending time in the woods so you can remove them before they transmit lymes disease. There is a lyme disease vaccination and Nexguard for dogs. Nexguard works great for my dog agaisnt fleas and ticks, once they bite they die.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I pulled 2 off my abdomen the other day. Had a heck of a reaction to them. My entire core got really tender itched like crazy back shoulders and neck got really stiff. Never had a reaction like that seems to be clearing up. Still super itchy

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I pulled 2 off my abdomen the other day. Had a heck of a reaction to them. My entire core got really tender itched like crazy back shoulders and neck got really stiff. Never had a reaction like that seems to be clearing up. Still super itchy

You might want to read up on the symptoms of Lyme disease and be familiar with them. My husband was complaining of feeling rather flu like a couple of years ago on a nice, warm day. We spend a fair amount of time outside and are surrounded by woods. I made him go get bloodwork done and the titers for Lyme disease were elevated. The doctor put him on some meds and the symptoms went away and have not returned. If caught early, it can be treated successfully. If ignored, it can be pretty serious.

I keep seeing posts on Facebook about opossum eating ticks. Googled it and it appears to be true so I guess we will now allow them to live. I no longer have poultry for them to kill so I have no reason to eliminate them anymore. More than one article I read said that a single opossum can eat thousands of ticks each week.

https://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/Animals/Archives/2015/Opossums.aspx

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Might want to get that checked out. Tick borne diseases can mess you up. Even if it turns out to be nothing better safe than sorry.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You might want to read up on the symptoms of Lyme disease and be familiar with them. My husband was complaining of feeling rather flu like a couple of years ago on a nice, warm day. We spend a fair amount of time outside and are surrounded by woods. I made him go get bloodwork done and the titers for Lyme disease were elevated. The doctor put him on some meds and the symptoms went away and have not returned. If caught early, it can be treated successfully. If ignored, it can be pretty serious.

I keep seeing posts on Facebook about opossum eating ticks. Googled it and it appears to be true so I guess we will now allow them to live. I no longer have poultry for them to kill so I have no reason to eliminate them anymore. More than one article I read said that a single opossum can eat thousands of ticks each week.

https://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/Animals/Archives/2015/Opossums.aspx

i have been fighting something for a month......legs arms everything very stiff no energy.......found one dug in on my side first of march.....no rash or anything just feel like ****!!!!

i'll be getting a appointment this week......

so nasty opossums like ticks?......this is going to save many of there lives on my place........now i have to talk the dog into not attacking them....:)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    i have been fighting something for a month......legs arms everything very stiff no energy.......found one dug in on my side first of march.....no rash or anything just feel like ****!!!!

i'll be getting a appointment this week......

so nasty opossums like ticks?......this is going to save many of there lives on my place........now i have to talk the dog into not attacking them....:)

When my husband had the symptoms, he had not had any recent tick bites that we were aware of and never saw a bullseye rash anywhere. It's possible he had one in his scalp or something that dropped off though. It's worth a blood test to get checked out. I had no idea that opossums were good for anything other than cleaning up roadkill. I used to have guinea fowl for tick control, but the coons, fox and coyotes have eliminated all of those.

Top Bottom