• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It'd be nice to walk our farm and actually find sheds rather than finding evidence that the place has already been picked clean by trespassers. We get the same experience during mushroom season.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I enjoy shed hunting and don't really see the trespassers until mushroom/turkey season. The forest critters usually beat me to them, they get eaten quickly.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    First week in April is when I have found some in my area. Tons of competition so you have to be dedicated.

I been out to my spot a week or so ago but farmer just did a burn off. If there was anything it's toast now. Screwed me last year as well by Bush hogging everything. Flipping over to hand loading and fishing.

No antlers on the five or so deer I did see while out.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    It'd be nice to walk our farm and actually find sheds rather than finding evidence that the place has already been picked clean by trespassers. We get the same experience during mushroom season.

Have you considered signage along the lines of "Achtung Minen!"?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    First week in April is when I have found some in my area. Tons of competition so you have to be dedicated.

I been out to my spot a week or so ago but farmer just did a burn off. If there was anything it's toast now. Screwed me last year as well by Bush hogging everything. Flipping over to hand loading and fishing.

No antlers on the five or so deer I did see while out.

The controlled burns don't burn the antlers as bad as you would think. We collected hundreds of sheds on Camp Atterbury after the controlled burns and the uncontrolled ones.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I have been fortunate this year. Luck favors the prepared, I guess. Deer are sheding early in central Indiana.

And this one yesterday, it had been out a while.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve only found one shed, ever. It was just a little spike, and I was out specifically looking for sheds. I went out and looked yesterday in Putnam County, and found nothing. I know guys who have found sheds, and really nice ones, and to me, they`re as much a trophy as a deer.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I`ve only found one shed, ever. It was just a little spike, and I was out specifically looking for sheds. I went out and looked yesterday in Putnam County, and found nothing. I know guys who have found sheds, and really nice ones, and to me, they`re as much a trophy as a deer.

I get obsessed with them. If I find a biggun, I hunt for the other side as hard as I hunt a buck.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

We just alerted the sheriff that we have our resident shed trespasser identified and on camera repeatedly. He will be getting several trespassing citations and I have asked the LEO to try to obtain as search warrant to look for sheds that have been pilfered from my property and any receipts for sales of shed that he has made.

I have had it.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Good for you, that sounds like a wise way to handle the intrusion. I do a lot of scouting and hunting on public land. Quite often I stray off public land when I am in a new area. I make it a point to correct my navigation so I dont actually hunt on others property. Mostly my errors occur with poor property lines, as I usually do a lot of planning before the hike. Creeks present a real problem, as they are hard to fence across, and wash out too. Hope your trespasser learns a little respect.

Here is a shed I found in Putnam county. Looks like the critters took their piece of the prize.
    View attachment 53851

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Good for you, that sounds like a wise way to handle the intrusion. I do a lot of scouting and hunting on public land. Quite often I stray off public land when I am in a new area. I make it a point to correct my navigation so I dont actually hunt on others property. Mostly my errors occur with poor property lines, as I usually do a lot of planning before the hike. Creeks present a real problem, as they are hard to fence across, and wash out too. Hope your trespasser learns a little respect.

Here is a shed I found in Putnam county. Looks like the critters took their piece of the prize.
    View attachment 53851

That one has been on the ground a long time, I'm surprised that any antler remains.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My largest post season buck lost one side on Feb. 3rd and the second on 4th, which is more than a month later this year. The second largest buck still had his rack on the 13th while number three and four still had theirs this past weekend. I haven't had any luck finding the sheds from # 1 yet.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    ^^When I find a big shed, I know the other side has to be close, "it'll notice the imbalance and knock the other side off soon" I tell myself. My biggest post season buck, 150" 10 pt. lost his left side on January 3. Three weeks later on the 24th he still carried the right side. Hard telling where it'll end up.

Top Bottom