• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a spring break trip coming up to a house on the outer banks with several families from church. The dads and I have all been talking about getting setup to do a little shoreline fishing at night once the kiddos go to bed. Many years ago, I had done something similar where we bought some cheapo rod/reel combos for like $30 and chucked heavy weights out there with a baited hook just bouncing around in the ocean.

I know I can do exactly what I did the last time and get by. I'm sure I'll be able to catch something that way, but I also know I'm a complete rookie to shoreline fishing and I should listen to anyone with any degree of experience.

If you've got some suggestions BASED ON EXPERIENCE, please throw out some advice.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I pretty much did what you did in Hilton Head last year. Only thing I caught was a bunch of baby sharks. They were fun to catch and put up a little bit of fight even. This summer if we go back I plan on doing more of the same.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Shore fishing not that great depending on actual times your are there. Another option for fun fishing is trying the fishing pier if near one. We used to try the one at Kill Devil Hills and had great time. IIRC it was the Avalon Pier. Best bet of course is to go out on boat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There isn't going to be a pier where we're at, so it'll be strictly shoreline. We're not going to be hitting the surf too hardcore. Until we get a better plan it's gonna be a bunch of dads, casting a line out and then sitting down to do some BSing. If a rod tip shows a hit while we're there then that's even better.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Take two rods, bait the first with fishbites or squid pieces on a small hook, then take whatever you catch on that one and impale it on a bigger hook and send it back out with the second rod. Use sand spikes and keep your drag relatively light.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Take two rods, bait the first with fishbites or squid pieces on a small hook, then take whatever you catch on that one and impale it on a bigger hook and send it back out with the second rod. Use sand spikes and keep your drag relatively light.

Excellent! I never would have thought of that.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Excellent! I never would have thought of that.

Forgot to add that you can make your own sand spikes out of PVC pipe 3'-4' of 1.5" diameter works well. A rubber mallet works well to pound it into the sand. Also, don't bother using hardhead catfish as bait, pretty much anything else should work though.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Buy a small cast net and a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with lid to keep it in. Use net, put bait in the bucket. Buy it now and practice using it in your yard.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would also suggest when you get down there if you are looking at buying the stuff..... to take a look on the local craigslist for equipment.... might find several rods and reels for sale for cheaper than buying new at a discount store.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Buy a small cast net and a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with lid to keep it in. Use net, put bait in the bucket. Buy it now and practice using it in your yard.

And don't wear your wedding ring while using a cast net...... found this out the hard way on my honeymoon.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    When I lived in Carolina, fish bites and gulp shrimp were the hot artificial baits. Bloodworms are pricey, but they will catch fish. Sand fleas are pretty easy to dig for by hand or with a small shovel or rake. You don't need to cast very far to get into edible fish, whiting, croakers, and pompano are often right where the surf is roiling up the sand. As mentioned above, a small fish caught can be sent out on a longer line as bait,

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    On a business trip in Florida I saw a kid fishing off the pier and on one side he'd toss a cast net. Whatever came in went into either a bucket or his hook. The hook went over the other side of the pier. That young man had a system down and was bringing home dinner nearly every night that way. I learned a lot just by listening to him explain how and what he was doing. You guys are right about the cast nets for picking up the bait. If there was going to be a dock or pier of any sort there I'd do that.

I found a local fishing shop that rents out the shoreline rigs for $45 for a week. Rod, reel, correct line and everything all setup and they give you some pro tips. After seeing the cheapest rod only at Gander for $45 I think all the guys decided just to rent out whatever we'd want to use. For the money it just makes more sense to rent the right stuff from guys who know that area like the back of their hand.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll report back if anything actually gets caught.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    On a business trip in Florida I saw a kid fishing off the pier and on one side he'd toss a cast net. Whatever came in went into either a bucket or his hook. The hook went over the other side of the pier. That young man had a system down and was bringing home dinner nearly every night that way. I learned a lot just by listening to him explain how and what he was doing. You guys are right about the cast nets for picking up the bait. If there was going to be a dock or pier of any sort there I'd do that.

I found a local fishing shop that rents out the shoreline rigs for $45 for a week. Rod, reel, correct line and everything all setup and they give you some pro tips. After seeing the cheapest rod only at Gander for $45 I think all the guys decided just to rent out whatever we'd want to use. For the money it just makes more sense to rent the right stuff from guys who know that area like the back of their hand.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll report back if anything actually gets caught.

Cast nets can certainly put a lot of bait in your bucket quickly provided the bait is not the wrong size, too deep, or visibility is poor. I prefer to use a sabiki rig for bait when pier fishing. Normally, I can catch plenty of good sized hardtails(bluerunners) in short order, have a lot of fun doing it, and pick up a few bonus Spanish mackerels at the same time.

Also, if you ever decide to purchase your own salt water gear, Gander is about the worst place to look. Both Cabela's and Bass Pro have good starter level gear for decent prices with frequent sales.

Top Bottom