• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hate buying, or wearing new boots, so I avoid it like the plague. My old work boots just turned 12 years old, and when I went shed hunting this morning I decided its time to buy some new boots.

Ive never paid any attention to what my boots cost because I will wear them for 12 years. I found a pair online that seemed perfect, went to find them to buy, and saw that they are 550 dollar's a pair. I thought you could buy the best boots in the world for 200 bucks, apparently I was wrong.

Requirements.

Boots not hiking shoes.
    Light weight
    aggressive tread
    roughly 9 inch
    water proof

200 bucks or under

Thoughts?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What activities are you using them for? My choice of footwear and sole type varies due to weather, surface conditions, etc. For walking in the woods I would much prefer hiking boots over work boots, you did just mention that you are wearing the boots when shed hunting. My go to brand is also Timberland

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My personal preference is Danner. I feel like they have little to no break-in. They are comfortable from the get go. I'm sure you can find something meeting your requirements.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I absolutely love my Redwings. The pair I have on now is 2 years old and still very comfortable. They are a safety toe, (composite, not steel) but that's what work requires. I wear them probably just as much at home as I do at work. They cost right at $200. The stock number is 2244.

02244redwing_thumb_jpg.jpg

I'd suggest heading to the Redwing store and start trying some on.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns from Gander back at Christmas time. They were on sale, then I found a $20 off coupon at the register. I paid $120, regularly $200. At first my legs were sore around the top, but now they are broke in a feel great. I would buy another pair.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I usually get either Rocky or wolverine. I have to have safety toe for work, I try to get the composite toe.
    I usually wear mine as much at home as at work.

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    I've had every brand you can think of. Always managed to get about eight months out of them. My last three pair have been the Timberland Pro 8" Boondock...I get about a full year out of these. Very comfortable right out of the box.

How on earth can you get 12 years out of a pair of work boots?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I absolutely love my Redwings. The pair I have on now is 2 years old and still very comfortable. They are a safety toe, (composite, not steel) but that's what work requires. I wear them probably just as much at home as I do at work. They cost right at $200. The stock number is 2244.

02244redwing_thumb_jpg.jpg

I'd suggest heading to the Redwing store and start trying some on.

I've got the 2240's now. Same boot, just 6 inch instead of 8. I've had them for about two months. The original pair of boots I bought were the CRV and those boots were complete ****. I went through two pairs of the CRV and both pairs had the leather separate from the sole in less than 4 months. After my 2nd exchange I went with a different design. That's when I got the 2240 and I love them. My only complaint is that the toe on both boots is wearing pretty fast, but no worries I can fix that. That being said, I can't expect to get more than two years out of these boots. I can't imagine 12. How in the world. Here they are after 2 months:
    20170325_210049_zpstdg4bhlk.jpg

20170325_210102_zps6cfenkq3.jpg

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You're expecting pst performance from a crossfire. Up your budget if you want the best boots in the world.

Hope this comes out purple :)

Edit

Seems I can't make purple happen. Operator fail.

Really tho....200 bucks doesn't buy 12 year boots anymore Alan. Lucky to get 3 years for 200 bucks if you truly work or put miles on them.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You're expecting pst performance from a crossfire. Up your budget if you want the best boots in the world.

Hope this comes out purple :)

Edit

Seems I can't make purple happen. Operator fail.

Really tho....200 bucks doesn't buy 12 year boots anymore Alan. Lucky to get 3 years for 200 bucks if you truly work or put miles on them.

Thats what im learning. Im heading to cabelas monday to try some out. As of this second im leaning towards the Danner pronghorns.

I dont wear work boots everyday anymore. In fact when working ill probably wear my old non waterproof, slick soled boots because they are so comfortable. They just are not up to the woods walking task anymorr.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thats what im learning. Im heading to cabelas monday to try some out. As of this second im leaning towards the Danner pronghorns.I dont wear work boots everyday anymore. In fact when working ill probably wear my old non waterproof, slick soled boots because they are so comfortable. They just are not up to the woods walking task anymorr.
    I bought my pronghorns on Black Friday 2014. I wore them through 2 years of squirrel/deer hunting and occasionally when working outside. For the last 3 months I have worn them every single day out on the construction site and they have been flawless. I walk approximately 3-6 miles every day and my feet feel great. My conditions are hot asphalt, mud, and fresh rock and believe me, I kick around a lot. Black Friday 2016 I bought another pair and have started wearing them for hunting instead. I picked mine up when they were $99 at Cabelas which is too good of a deal to pass up. The boots are 400g Thinsulate which isn't bad, but you can tell that they are slightly warmer.

Top Bottom