• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Was able to get out with some good friends this past weekend for an awesome hike over at Clifty Falls State Park in Madison. Weather turned out perfect as we ended up logging right at 6.6 miles in all. Cant wait to get back out for another one and now I know a few things I need to change up on my day pack ha ha. Even though the terrain was pretty rough in a few spots with some serious hills that had to be climbed up, over it was an awesome first outing of the year!

Here's a few pics of the days trek....

1.jpg

4.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The days map, we started at the Hill-Top then ended down at the river.

5.jpg

Rowdy lookin bunch here lol
    Crew.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Nice! We usually do the trails at Clifty 5 or 6 times a year. We usually do trail 8 to trail 2, cross the creek, then hit several of the trails on the road side of the park back to the far end of trail 8, making a big loop. Depending on how much I've been working out, that loop can be a monster! Haven't been yet this year, but I'm gonna be huffing and puffing when we go.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nice! We usually do the trails at Clifty 5 or 6 times a year. We usually do trail 8 to trail 2, cross the creek, then hit several of the trails on the road side of the park back to the far end of trail 8, making a big loop. Depending on how much I've been working out, that loop can be a monster! Haven't been yet this year, but I'm gonna be huffing and puffing when we go.

Ha ha I hear ya, my feet were starting to really hate life toward the end but it was a great time. Its a great place to hike to be so close to home..

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Looooooove Clifty Falls.
    I took the really long hike all the way from through the creek bed up to the waterfall.
    That's a pretty grueling little walk in its own right.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Your thread makes me want to go back again, sgreen3. I looked back through my photos and realized that the last time I was there was 2012.

You probably remember this part of the trail.

IMG_9560-L.jpg

No rowdy crew here ..... just 60 yr. old (at the time) me.

IMG_9571-L.jpg

Thanks for the memories .... I need to get back there soon ! :thumbsup:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wish there were some trails up in central IN that had some serious hills. I do the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge every year. It can be brutal if you do not train properly and have the proper attire. It's 33.5 miles with so serious hills. About 1/3 of the people do not finish. It's a long day but you feel great when you finish especially if the blisters are not bad!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Your thread makes me want to go back again, sgreen3. I looked back through my photos and realized that the last time I was there was 2012.

You probably remember this part of the trail.

IMG_9560-L.jpg

No rowdy crew here ..... just 60 yr. old (at the time) me.

IMG_9571-L.jpg

Thanks for the memories .... I need to get back there soon ! :thumbsup:

Ha ha yes I do remember it! Yea its worth the time to go, some very nice country....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My brother lives in Kent (about 8 miles from the park) and sent me this link this morning with the title, "How to tell it's spring in Madison..." Usually every other year or so...

Teen dies after being swept over waterfalls at Clifty Falls State Park

The point being it can be a dangerous place...So many people think of "flat old Indiana" and forget how rough the terrain can be down here...My neighbor in Perry County does volunteer search and rescue and we lose one on average (in Perry County) every year to a fall....

Be careful...

Great pics and a salty bunch of river pirates you run with OP....I love it when beard clubs have outings....:)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea and I'm pretty sure it was because they were not on a marked trail. We always stick to the marked trails for just that reason some of those spots can get pretty sketchy..

LOL yea a rowdy bunch but what do ya do..

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Oh yeah, numerous places at Clifty can be deadly, I'm kinda surprised there aren't more deaths there. I've got a few scrapes and bruises there, and I stay on the trails! (And before Indiucky chimes in, yes, I am a clumsy idiot):):

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Several have perished over the past few years, not staying on the trail is a problem! They always try it after s bunch of rain too when the water is flowing quickly. Clifty is great, the inn is real nice too!!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Oh yeah, numerous places at Clifty can be deadly, I'm kinda surprised there aren't more deaths there. I've got a few scrapes and bruises there, and I stay on the trails! (And before Indiucky chimes in, yes, I am a clumsy idiot):):
    Yea that's a fact, there are a few spots on the trek we took that were pretty rough with shear drop offs not very far from the trail..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Several have perished over the past few years, not staying on the trail is a problem! They always try it after s bunch of rain too when the water is flowing quickly. Clifty is great, the inn is real nice too!!

Yes it is.. Me an the wife stayed there one night on our honeymoon. Its really nice inside and the restaurant is awesome!

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    How does Clifty compare to the trails in Martinsville? Specifically 3 Lakes and Low Gap? Those are in the Morgan-Monroe State Park.

I did 3 Lakes and Low Gap (10 or so miles each) in the summer and it was a killer workout.

Turkey Run is great too.

I've been wanting to try Clifty but I need it to be a little on the tough side to support the drive.

Top Bottom